Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Door Awning Motor

Before you say it, I have searched the forums for this particular problem, but didn't find anything.
By searching, I was able to find out about the issue with the plastic ends on the motor breaking or shearing off as well as the replacement motor. Thank you for your help, now...
Replaced the motor. Pressed the switch to activate the awning and all we get is a click both in the retract and extend modes. Nothing moves.

Any ideas on what to look for or what to do at this point. Yes there is power as evidenced by the click (and the meter).
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Did you try the motor before you installed it? Connect to 12V supply and test run? Can you jumper the switch with an external 12v supply - ie remove motor leads and connect a 12V car battery or other deep cycle? I have a bunch of alligator clip leads 12AWG for this purpose.

That would be my next step.

Obviously something is not providing enough current to drive the motor.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our door-awning motor was bad when we got it. I went thru 2 replacement motors (new on eBay) before I got one that worked.

Hope your luck is better.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Dan:
I went through the same thing Rusty did before I figured I had a combination of 2 problems.
1. Because of the way Monaco wired the door (and the large patio) awnings, the voltage drop may be too much to power the awning motor. I ran a pair of "jumper wires" that will allow me to operate the awning with my drill motor battery. I have a backup procedure if the switch and coach battery won't do the job.
2. The other problem I had was the in/out stop adjustment on the awning motor was way out. You should have received a skinny plastic "screw driver" that fits into what I remember as an allen head screw on the end of the motor motor. Its used to adjust the maximum in and out travel of the motor/awning. Yours could be out of adjustment. I set mine on my workbench before I reinstalled the awning on the coach as it was much easier to reach and adjust.
Best of luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oh yeah, how could I forget that fun exercise with the 'swizzle stick' too
Like Mike, I eventually took the entire motor assembly off and played with the in-out til I got it close, then fine-tuned it after I got it on the coach. Frustrating .

BTW, when I did some digging into the motor-design background, I found it was mainly used for curtains and the like. Dunno if that means it's waterproof .
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
YC1

I just had the same issue this week. This is my third motor and was replaced in Sept. I took the thing down and put it on a table and ran it with a drill motor.

Had same symptoms with the clicking noise inside the motor are while it was hanging but it worked while on the table.

It sounds like a relay clunking inside the motor but I am not sure because I could not duplicate while in place.

What needs to be done is to get a voltmeter across the wire while it is connected to see if the voltage is holding up.

You may be able to lift the awning while in place and pull the wires back out of the hole.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced my motor and had the same problem because I adjusted the motor to go in to far and it jammed causing the clicking sound. I removed the awning and opened it enough to get the plastic socket head adjuster in and readjusted the in screw and reinstalled it and found that was the problem like Mike G stated. I made slight adjustments until I had the in and out travel correct.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mine will go out but not back in. Worked fine on the bench though. could it still be the adjustment?
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I just had the same issue this week. This is my third motor and was replaced in Sept. I took the thing down and put it on a table and ran it with a drill motor.

Had same symptoms with the clicking noise inside the motor are while it was hanging but it worked while on the table.

It sounds like a relay clunking inside the motor but I am not sure because I could not duplicate while in place.

What needs to be done is to get a voltmeter across the wire while it is connected to see if the voltage is holding up.

You may be able to lift the awning while in place and pull the wires back out of the hole.
The clunking could be the bushing in the tube on the end that slides into the male tube on the opisite side of the motor. Call Carefree and speak with customer support and they will find you the correct part. To take the old bushing out I used a wood dowl with the motor out and just give it a tap and it should come out. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
FunGus - Yes i believe it is possible for that to happen. I suspect it is one of the adjustments with that goofy plastic screwdriver. If possible, can you take the awning assembly off the coach, and work with it on a bench, etc? Much easier than standing on a ladder.
My first replacement motor did exactly that. I thought it was bad until my second motor did that too... that's when I fooled with it til i got the adjustments right.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Update

Finally got hold of Carefree. New motor was defective. New one on the way.
Just an FYI, call them directly and go through the phone prompts. Tried the email route and only got the initial response.
Customer service manager isn’t!
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door