Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Door leak solved almost, Help

Ok so been fighting door leak all year. Read a lot of old posts and decided to pull the door awning and reseal everything. Got up on the ladder and guess what I found. Gobs of clear silicone, someone has been here before. Pulled the 10 screws holding the upper track and 3 rusty ones snapped off. Don't know if this is normal but they cut through the channel holding the sides to the roof. Here's where I need advise.#1 How should I seal the body channel ends? #2 What do I seal the track to motor home with? #3 After I reinstall the awning what should I use to seal the top of the track and the gaps around the channel. #4 should I grind broken screws and fill with epoxy?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If I understand your situation, I think Dicor would be the preferable sealant.
Run a bead over all the screw heads and along the seam. I would insert a new SS screw next to any that broke off - but not try to extract the old screw (maybe grind down the head/shank if it sticks up).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

if you use dicor and its not on the roof use the one that is not self leveling. I had no idea there was two and the not self leveling can be hard to find. if you use the self leveling it will self level down the side of your camper.

Ive also used their butyl tape to bed the lower brackets on my manual awning. It was a sort of emergency repair at a campground and I always have butyl tape on hand.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

I should have listened to countryb. I managed to center drill one of the three broken screws and tried to use a screw extractor. It snapped off. I hardly put any pressure on it at all. god I fill like a dumb a??. this is the molding they cut through.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_152208.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	218859
Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

I had a long drawn out battle with a screw that welded itself to the grab handle. There are no good extractors for really stuck screws. I did find a dremel bit that was the bomb. After trying every drill bit known to man. If you still need something to drill out a screw let me know and I’ll find the info. Although it looks like you have a different problem. After I got the head off mine it twisted right out. Maybe a reverse drill bit might work.

For what you have there I would bed it in butyl tape. You can clean it up and caulk the edges so it looks nice. The problem is getting a good seal on the irregular areas. Butyl is easier to maintain and clean up if you need to take it apart again.

Tags
door, leak