Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Drag link

Have reviewed all posts on subject. My 2013 (RR8) chassis needs a replacement. Many phone calls to soooo many places. Had he drag link measured form socket to socket (w/o) the bends. 72" center socket to center socket, Most are 54/58/63" Was told that it must have been special when chassis built. REV unable to help. Said they would take out diagram from a drawer, get a part#, send that to purchasing then find a vendor, get price and get back to me. looking at 4/5 weeks?? One company will measure the one they have, but only after they receive the order. 2nd company is sending me a diagram to fill in the measurements. We'll just have to see where this all goes. I can't expect a shop to do all this legwork. Once again, this forum is such a great place for exchange of information. Love it!!! Will post contacts I have made for some future reference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

Call Kaiser Alignment and Brakes in Eugene, OR. They make drag links.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check out this link. It has the name of a company in Oregon that makes and stocks Monaco drag links.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/steer...nt-317810.html
Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #4

Both Kaiser and Hendersons in Oregon can make and or stock many Monaco drag links. Both shops are recommended if you need chassis work.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Have reviewed all posts on subject. My 2013 (RR8) chassis needs a replacement. Many phone calls to soooo many places. Had he drag link measured form socket to socket (w/o) the bends. 72" center socket to center socket, Most are 54/58/63" Was told that it must have been special when chassis built. REV unable to help. Said they would take out diagram from a drawer, get a part#, send that to purchasing then find a vendor, get price and get back to me. looking at 4/5 weeks?? One company will measure the one they have, but only after they receive the order. 2nd company is sending me a diagram to fill in the measurements. We'll just have to see where this all goes. I can't expect a shop to do all this legwork. Once again, this forum is such a great place for exchange of information. Love it!!! Will post contacts I have made for some future reference.

Ok I have to ask, why does it need replacing ? It is worn out on a 2013 coach ?

Second the draglink end that goes into the pitman arm is replaceable, usually a standard NAPA part. Been there done that on a few coaches. As you probably know the other end, cross link bracket side is not, darn it.

I will follow this one

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Ok I have to ask, why does it need replacing ? It is worn out on a 2013 coach ?

Second the draglink end that goes into the pitman arm is replaceable, usually a standard NAPA part. Been there done that on a few coaches. As you probably know the other end, cross link bracket side is not, darn it.

I will follow this one

Craig

X2 same question as I re-read the thread. Have you been to a front shop that checked everything?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
That 72" measurement sounded long to me so I went out an measured my 2012 RR8R which should be the same...and it is.
But the question remains...what is wrong with the current one?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Drag Link

72" is longer than most drag links. The Roadmaster 8 chassis no longer in production. Why 72"?, no good answers. Why they went from the three sizes that I have found in Stock?? The sockets (both ends) have excessive play. People that I have contacted were questioning the 72" measurement. Most were surprised at that length. The shop works on many MHs and tractors. Have had last two MHs there. Will post results.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Source Engineering will make one for your coach. And the price is about half of what Monaco wants for one.
I replaced mine last year with one of theirs. The end that needed replacing was welded on! They use standard threaded in ball ends available at any truck repair center.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

Kaiser Alignment and Brake or Hendersons in Oregon is cheaper than both. They have OEM or can make you one same day.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Drag link

Here is where I stand. After many, many calls, there is only one place to order a new drag link. Thru the REV Group. A company called Industrial Steering, has the item number and schematic. (they must have made the original item) They will only sell to REV Group, as the drag link is proprietary to them. So after 10 days (nic Labor Day weekend) I am told the part is on order, altho Industrial Steering does not seem to locate it yet. No difference any way, as the end that is removable is on back order. They expect to have the B/O by the end of September. I have raised the white flag and surrendered. It will come when it comes!
Old 09-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Here is where I stand. After many, many calls, there is only one place to order a new drag link. Thru the REV Group. A company called Industrial Steering, has the item number and schematic. (they must have made the original item) They will only sell to REV Group, as the drag link is proprietary to them. So after 10 days (nic Labor Day weekend) I am told the part is on order, altho Industrial Steering does not seem to locate it yet. No difference any way, as the end that is removable is on back order. They expect to have the B/O by the end of September. I have raised the white flag and surrendered. It will come when it comes!

Did you call Kaiser, or do they need your coach. I know they shipped one to my friend in central California last month. He had taken to a trucking company to do the change out.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

Even the "non-replaceable" end can be gotten out and replaced by a competent machine shop that WANTS to help you. I have a spare one in need of having the "non-replaceable" end replaced. I figured if I ever needed it, I would machine out the "swaged" parts that hold the standard tie rod end in, and replace it. Similar fix would be required for a tie rod end that had been welded in.

Not sure why Monaco made them that way. A competent heavy-truck front-end suspension tech would know to orient the bend in the drag link correctly. It was as if Monaco thought they needed to "idiot-proof" it.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Source Engineering would have made one for you. Doesn't matter if it is proprietary or not. Took 10 day to get mine and it uses standard ball ends.
Did you call them?