Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Driver side window seal

I have a 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ. The driver side window sliding unit is leaking under heavy rain at top and bottom where two slides meet. Has anyone replaced the wiper seal between these two window units? Do you need to remove the entire window frame in order to replace the seal?

Thanks for help,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window seal.jpeg.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	259369  
Tdccmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

So I took the inside frame off the drivers side window. Styrofoam insulation above window is soaking wet. Plan to put a fan in place to help dry it out. Also, plan to go back on top of coach to find potential leak locations.

Still looking for solution for replacing the wiper seal between the sliding lower windows. Does not appear the windows can be removed while in place. Has anyone replace a sliding window or wiper seal? If so, how do you remove the sliding windows?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
2008 Monaco Diplomat
Tdccmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #3

I also had a leak at that window on my coach that I bought used. The previous owner had caulked the INSIDE and of course it didn’t help. What I found was that the source of the leak was the tv antenna on the roof. The antenna was one that could be cranked up and aimed from the inside. It was caulked while the antenna was down, and there was no caulking under the arm that raised up. Caulking that area fixed the problem. Subsequently, I discovered another leak source at the mounting plates for the satellite antenna. Those mounts are a flat plate that is first screwed to the roof and allow for some flex between the dome and the roof. The plate was caulked around the visible portion, but there was no caulking in the area where the screws penetrated the roof. As the screws rusted, water got through the screw holes.

The roof structure consists of a Fiberglas sheet laid over styrofoam structures that give the roof its crown. If water gets in, it will travel sideways towards where it can get out. So, where it comes out can be several feet away. Just because the window is wet doesn’t mean that it is the source of the leak.

My conclusion was the job of caulking was an entry level job at the factory.

Dick L. ‘04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have bought window parts from "ParKin".. Check them out...

Atwood window parts

Good luck
Dave
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #5

As far as disassembling the window to replace the seals, you have to completely remove the window frame from the coach. This can be tricky, as you don’t want to drop it. First, remove all the screws from the interior trim piece. The window will be held in place by the caulking between the exterior frame and the coach siding. At this point, I recommend that you open the slider and tie a piece 2x4 with a rope in the center and span the window so that if the window comes loose you won’t lose it. Secure the other end of the rope to something inside like the other chair. Now you can use a putty knife to clear the frame seal so that the window releases from the siding. On mine it was a closed foam rubber piece. It’s a good idea to have a helper to get that window down on the ground.

The outer frame is a single piece if aluminum extrusion bent to shape. The joint is held together with a small plate and some screws. You will also find some screws holding the divider between the upper and lower halves of the window. Remove the screws from one end and you can open up the frame enough to remove the slider.

Hopes this helps

Dick L. ‘04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Tony, this is not the fix you are looking for where the leak happens where the slides meet but one thing you might look for and check are weep holes at the bottom exterior of the window frame. These can get clogged. Some have tiny nylon swinging gates that can stick shut. The idea behind them is to allow a fair amount of leakage to drain back out to the exterior rather than overflow the bottom of the frame and wet things below the window on the inside.
pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, seal, wind, window