Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Drivers side wiper arm

I need a wiper arm for a 2007 Dynasty Queen IV. The gear that bolts on the shaft is striped. Must replace entire arm. Who wells this arm? Help, it is raining.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

It happened to me going down the road on my 07 Neptune. I had to break down and buy from Monaco. Seems like they were about $40 each. I think I have read that others have found them elsewhere I am sure for less. I am sure someone will chime in with a supplier. Good luck

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
It happened to me going down the road on my 07 Neptune. I had to break down and buy from Monaco. Seems like they were about $40 each. I think I have read that others have found them elsewhere I am sure for less. I am sure someone will chime in with a supplier. Good luck

Chad
40.00?? WOW! I am not talking about the blade but rather the arm. If I could get the arm for that I would purchase a dozen. Thank you..
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I recently had a problem with my wipers just like this. The spline and the socket on the arm appeared to be "stripped" and the arm would flop out of position, especially on high speed.

I was prepared to replace the arms and perhaps the wiper mechanism if necessary until I took my motor home to Elite Repair and Remodelling and mentioned the problem to them.

These folks are ex-Monaco employees and know every inch of my coach inside and out, and their response surprised me.

Apparently, the arms don't come with a splined socket per-se. The spline on the motor coach is conical and the hole in the arm is conical to match. The arm is made of a soft metal and is DESIGNED for the spline on the wiper mechanism to create an impression in the soft metal when the arm is first installed, thus locking the two parts together.

What they explained to me that happens is that the arm gets loose and then the spline impression in the socket strips, leaving the arm loose and leaving the spines on the drive shaft embedded with the soft metal, which makes it look stripped too.

The guys at Elite patiently answered my questions while they took a sharp object and scraped the metal out of the splines on the drive hub. Then they attached the arm back to the hub and tightened the bolt down, which creates a new spline in the arm. My original arms now work perfectly, and I walked away re-educated and feeling a little ignorant. AND I now have working wipers.

Here is a photo of the drive hub before Elite cleaned up the splines. Notice that it appears that the splines are stripped. They weren't...a quick cleanup job with a pick (similar to a dentist's "pick") cleaned out all the stripped soft metal between the splines and prepared it for re-installation of the wiper arm.

Here is a photo of the stripped wiper arm.

Once the splines were cleaned the old arm was able to form a new socket when tightened down, and the wipers are good as new.

Please note that if you just replace the arm without cleaning the splines out, the new arm won't form a socket properly and you'll have the same issue with the new arm!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post

Chad
One of Monaco's suppliers for wiper parts is AM Equipment. http://www.amequipment.com

AM Equipment provided Monaco with parts for mostly the high end coaches. The "lower end" coaches, among them my Windsor, used chinese parts which were cheaper. AM Equipment was able to source a replacement blade for me when I identified what I had. The can also provide replacements for the drive mechansim...even if yours is the chinese one.

I spoke with "Butch" who answered the phone 5 mins before closing and was knowledgeable and helpful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
One of Monaco's suppliers for wiper parts is AM Equipment. http://www.amequipment.com

AM Equipment provided Monaco with parts for mostly the high end coaches. The "lower end" coaches, among them my Windsor, used chinese parts which were cheaper. AM Equipment was able to source a replacement blade for me when I identified what I had. The can also provide replacements for the drive mechansim...even if yours is the chinese one.

I spoke with "Butch" who answered the phone 5 mins before closing and was knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks tricotec. Mine being the basement dweller of the diesel lineup, mine were definitely made in china. Someone before posted they were a softer metal so the splines would "seat" into the shaft. Yes mine were very soft, to the point that it broke riding down the road with the wipers on. Luckily the sprayer hose held and the arm landed on the mirror arm. Fortunately that saved my blade as those are pretty expensive themselves. As luck would have it, when the new arm came I installed it and thought maybe I should snug the passenger side. I held the arm and gave slight pressure with ratchet and low and behold it snapped off in my hand. So I called Monaco and ordered another. So my Neptune is sporting 2 brand new shiny wiper arms.
I will keep the supplier you listed as a reference so when these break maybe I can get them cheaper. Thanks for the tip.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem while on the way to Oregon -- I had an appointment with Elite Repair in Harrisburg OR, & told Erik about the wiper -- He took it off, & did the clean & tighten thing -- No more problems with the wiper since -- About 2 years -- I did replace the 32" wiper blades with 28' wiper blades -- They clean all the windshield that I need cleaned, & much less drag on the glass -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

Smile wiper supplier

www.dieselequipment.com in NC sell RV wiper parts
terryflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I had the same problem while on the way to Oregon -- I had an appointment with Elite Repair in Harrisburg OR, & told Erik about the wiper -- He took it off, & did the clean & tighten thing -- No more problems with the wiper since -- About 2 years -- I did replace the 32" wiper blades with 28' wiper blades -- They clean all the windshield that I need cleaned, & much less drag on the glass -- William Willard
Erik is great isn't he? Elite is now my one stop repair & remodel place on the west coast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

Mine came loose going down the road. Pulled over, wrapped some Teflon tape around it and tighten it down good. So far so good.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #11

Quote:
I recently had a problem with my wipers just like this. The spline and the socket on the arm appeared to be "stripped" and the arm would flop out of position, especially on high speed.

I was prepared to replace the arms and perhaps the wiper mechanism if necessary until I took my motor home to Elite Repair and Remodelling and mentioned the problem to them.

These folks are ex-Monaco employees and know every inch of my coach inside and out, and their response surprised me.

Apparently, the arms don't come with a splined socket per-se. The spline on the motor coach is conical and the hole in the arm is conical to match. The arm is made of a soft metal and is DESIGNED for the spline on the wiper mechanism to create an impression in the soft metal when the arm is first installed, thus locking the two parts together.

What they explained to me that happens is that the arm gets loose and then the spline impression in the socket strips, leaving the arm loose and leaving the spines on the drive shaft embedded with the soft metal, which makes it look stripped too.

The guys at Elite patiently answered my questions while they took a sharp object and scraped the metal out of the splines on the drive hub. Then they attached the arm back to the hub and tightened the bolt down, which creates a new spline in the arm. My original arms now work perfectly, and I walked away re-educated and feeling a little ignorant. AND I now have working wipers.

Here is a photo of the drive hub before Elite cleaned up the splines. Notice that it appears that the splines are stripped. They weren't...a quick cleanup job with a pick (similar to a dentist's "pick") cleaned out all the stripped soft metal between the splines and prepared it for re-installation of the wiper arm.

Once the splines were cleaned the old arm was able to form a new socket when tightened down, and the wipers are good as new.

Please note that if you just replace the arm without cleaning the splines out, the new arm won't form a socket properly and you'll have the same issue with the new arm!!!
WOW!! I cannot thank you enough. You just saved me 300.00. Monaco wanted 219.00 plus labor. This forum is the best. I have never in my life met so many people so willing and ready to help. Excluding the Military of course. Thank you so much.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
WOW! Is all I can say. You saved me 350.00. This worked. I am so thankful for this forum. Great bunch of folks here.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talk about perfect timing...as I washed my windshield today I noticed my one wiper arm was kinda loose. I wiggled it around a bit and figured, well here goes another dollar or two.

Thanks for the post tricotec !!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, while on the subject of wiper arms, I discovered Wiper Snuggies, the drivers side doesn't wipe the left hand side of the windshield above about 25mph. My truck driver buddy says these work pretty good. I bought them and installed them but haven't driven in the rain yet. Anyone else try them?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver