Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Driveshaft lubrication (my experience)

I recall seeing two different recommended driveshaft lubrication schedules for the Monaco Roadmaster chassis. One calls for lubing the driveshaft every 5000 miles and the other every 10,000 miles. I have never lubed my driveshaft on a mileage schedule and lube it twice a year. I even have an automatic calendar reminder send me an email every 6 months. I have noticed at times when lubing the driveshaft that it would take 5 or more shots at each zerk to get the grease to ooze out of the U-joints and the slip spline.

In May the wife and I, along with four other motorhomes, journeyed to Alaska and back. Before leaving on the trip, to be on the safe side, I lubricated the driveshaft. I also zeroed my GPS trip odometer before leaving the driveway. We rolled back into the driveway on August 19 and the trip mileage for the motorhome was 8126.5 miles. We have been spending a lot of time since we got back cleaning and repairing the motorhome. Last week I installed 4 new shocks on the front and repaired an oil leak on the filler tube.

Getting under the motorhome for that kind of work is an undertaking for me and I keep a large container in the garage filled with what I call grease clothes. After installing four shocks and repairing the oil leak I was filthy and my hair was in need of a good shampoo. Since I am already in this condition I might as well grease the driveshaft so out came the air powered grease gun. The motorhome had not moved since we returned from Alaska so the exact mileage between driveshaft lubes was 8126.5 miles. To my amazement it took at least 5 shots at each zerk to get the grease to ooze out.

Now I know this is not very scientific and smells a bit like a Tennessee shade tree mechanic, but it sure made me think a person should not ignore lubing the driveshaft past 10,000 miles. It also might be a good plan to track the miles between lubrication.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #2

I think a trip to Alaska would be sever duty. Here is some information. Driveline Lubrication | Machine Service, Inc.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My personal number is 5k miles. As short as the drive line is, the joint velocity is high in normal service. I use a moly based lubricant.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat