Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Dumb question about auto-leveling on '09 Monaco

My dumb question of the day....for auto air leveling on our 2009 Monaco Camelot, the owner's manual says to extend slides and THEN level. That seems backwards to me. I would think you would want the coach level prior to extending the slides. I'm not arguing with the manufacturer's directions but I am curious. Could someone explain the logic?
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxn View Post
My dumb question of the day....for auto air leveling on our 2009 Monaco Camelot, the owner's manual says to extend slides and THEN level. That seems backwards to me. I would think you would want the coach level prior to extending the slides. I'm not arguing with the manufacturer's directions but I am curious. Could someone explain the logic?
All the Monaco products are like that. They claim that with the coach at ride height in travel mode there is less chance of damage and twisting. Like you, it seems backwards to me but I do it their way even when it seems like the coach was more level while leveled! LOL
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I believe their theory is that the leveling process could possibly twist the coach, putting the slides in a bind as they go out! In the "travel" position, the coach is straight.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Dumb question about auto-leveling on '09 Monaco

This is especially important if you have a 3 point system. The chassis will flex as you level out the rear of the coach. You're better off following their recommendations. By the way, FWIW my 15 Dutch Star has the same recommendation.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Fair enough. Thanks!
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
All the Monaco products are like that. They claim that with the coach at ride height in travel mode there is less chance of damage and twisting. Like you, it seems backwards to me but I do it their way even when it seems like the coach was more level while leveled! LOL
I think it's more of an issue on coaches with hyd jacks for leveling.

As long as the site doesn't have steep angles, or dips, I air level before I put the slides out. Hasn't been an issue for me ....... YET !!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Having a Monaco I follow the slides out first procedure when the site is not close to level. If the site is reasonably level I put the slides out last because I know there wont be any flex issue. I always level manually but if I did use the auto feature I would follow the proper procedure because the auto level tends to be more aggressive then the touch of my fingers.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When Monaco was still operational I asked the same question during a factory tour. They said that the coach is built on a level surface at ride height and it is best to operate slides while at ride height.

I found out the hard way the if I pull kitchen slide in when leveled (not ride height) the large slide will hit the TV. Don't need any more reason than that....

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Not all..My coach uses the Valid system and I rarely use the jacks. Below 10-15 MPH level control moves from the valves on the axles to the Valid control panel. As I move into a camp site I can raise or lower the coach while moving to avoid tail hits and low branches. Once I stop I hit auto level and air is released or added as required to maintain level position. Once level I can go to manual to raise or lower all 4 corners while maintaining level. While the system sleeps it will wake up periodically and check for level and the air pump will come on if the tanks are low. My instruction with a full wall slide from Monaco is to level with air only before extending slides. Once level I can move up or down a needed. Apparently using the 10 air bags provides a much more stable position for the coach before extending the slides. This may be different for the 3-jacks on older coach's. After all this I can extend the jacks manually not using automatic because of a possible conflict with auto air bag system. I usually only use the rear jacks in manual mode to place my jack stands under the frame rails before I crawl under the coach. I've used those jacks to raise the tag axle off the ground and the coach must either be on shore power or have the engine running to avoid a low voltage issue with the electric motor on the hydraulic pump. My slides all ride on large nylon pads that protect the slide and the coach but do nothing to guide the slide with the little play in the Roadmaster chassis guides, It's free to travel forward or backward depending on gravity and the coach position. My owner's manual is also confusing and Monaco admitted that to me. That's why I called Oregon and talked to their Tech. Director. Guess it easier and cheaper to just keep publishing the same stuff even when coach's change over the years.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Not all..My coach uses the Valid system and I rarely use the jacks. Below 10-15 MPH level control moves from the valves on the axles to the Valid control panel. As I move into a camp site I can raise or lower the coach while moving to avoid tail hits and low branches. Once I stop I hit auto level and air is released or added as required to maintain level position. Once level I can go to manual to raise or lower all 4 corners while maintaining level. While the system sleeps it will wake up periodically and check for level and the air pump will come on if the tanks are low. My instruction with a full wall slide from Monaco is to level with air only before extending slides. Once level I can move up or down a needed. Apparently using the 10 air bags provides a much more stable position for the coach before extending the slides. This may be different for the 3-jacks on older coach's. After all this I can extend the jacks manually not using automatic because of a possible conflict with auto air bag system. I usually only use the rear jacks in manual mode to place my jack stands under the frame rails before I crawl under the coach. I've used those jacks to raise the tag axle off the ground and the coach must either be on shore power or have the engine running to avoid a low voltage issue with the electric motor on the hydraulic pump. My slides all ride on large nylon pads that protect the slide and the coach but do nothing to guide the slide with the little play in the Roadmaster chassis guides, It's free to travel forward or backward depending on gravity and the coach position. My owner's manual is also confusing and Monaco admitted that to me. That's why I called Oregon and talked to their Tech. Director. Guess it easier and cheaper to just keep publishing the same stuff even when coach's change over the years.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Different coaches have different methods of leveling and slide extension. Do what your manufacturer says and you'll be fine.
We have HWH air leveling (no jacks) and HWH room slides. The instructions say to level then extend. Ours won't work if we're too much out of level
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I do the same. I called them directly and they told me
Extend Slides
Dump air
Level.
NOTE: I don't have air leveling, it's hydraulic, but I have read others saying the same for air. It's based on the way they build them from what they told me.
Rfriebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

I know someone that has the same make and model coach that I have. He was leveling first and then putting out the slides and he cracked three windshields in less than three years.
He then started putting out the slides at ride height, dumping the air and then leveling, (hydraulic leveler so) and has not had anymore cracked windshields. Sometimes it's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions even when they seem backwards...

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #14

Yeah, for sure the safest way to go, is follow their instructions and extend slides at ride height.
I'm undecided on whether I want to alter mine, so I can extend / retract slides with the engine running. I'd really like to get away from the engine on- off- on, game when ariveing, or leaving!

Tags
leveling, monaco