Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #57

Well, a few more trips back to the shop to have my Toyo's tire shake looked at. Never seen this before:
Tires slip on the rim and get out of center after driving a few miles. On my last visit, they removed all the tire lube from the wheel and tire bead and tried it dry. Tire will not center (with or without lube) and slipped on my first drive out.
Not sure what is going on there, anyone ever have this happen and if so, what did you do to stop it?

Also, anyone know the pricing of the Michelin or Continental tires in the 295/80 R22.5 using the FMCA discount?
Thanks
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
So we installed the Toyo 144 tires on steer and unrelated, the installer broke my left disk brake caliper so they had to install a new one. Of course the disk brake was compromised in the process so they had to turn the disks (both left and right to make everything the same) and put new pads on just because.
So, driving home the motorhome now has a shake in the front. I am not sure if it is the brake work that was done or the tires they installed

I also put the Centramatics on and confirmed they balanced the tires. The shake feels like an out of round tire more than out of balance. I also noted the tires smell like horse manure which others have complined about. Last, the tires are pretty new, dated November of 16 and clearly say Made in Japan on them. All my research showed them made in USA, I think it was Georgia.
I guess it will likely be a return to the shop for further evaluation but I may be headed towards the Michelin tires again. The 8 year old A2 Energy tires I removed were awesome.
Bummed!
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've never heard of tires slipping on the rim like that.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would have them replace the tires.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #60

Wow, I've never heard of that happening windecker. I believe I'm with Wildebill and would want new tires. Maybe even forego to a different brand. Seems odd.

For michelin or continental pricing you can go to the FMCA website and it will tell you the pricing in any size. I can offer this about Continental: Buddy of mine tried to buy them, after 2 different times the continental tires that were shipped to tire dealer in FL were around a year old. He finally decided to just get Michelins. This may have been a rare occurrence but just wanted to caution you to check the date codes.

Coincidentally, I just bought new Michelin tires and the date code on them was less than 2 months old when they installed them.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #61

Thanks Chad, understood and agreed. The shop said they wanted to try this one more time before swapping to another manufacture. The issue is (against my wishes) on the first go of it they true cut the tires to make them perfect. Now since being cut down they can't be returned. The shop will have to eat them which they agreed to do.
Last time I tried to buy FMCA tires it was actually still cheaper for me to purchase at the local shop. I let my FMCA membership expire. Was hoping to get the pricing from FMCA before I call the shop back to tell them it was a no go this past week with the "last" attempt.
I have certainly been through the ringer with my new to me Monaco

Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Wow, I've never heard of that happening windecker. I believe I'm with Wildebill and would want new tires. Maybe even forego to a different brand. Seems odd.

For michelin or continental pricing you can go to the FMCA website and it will tell you the pricing in any size. I can offer this about Continental: Buddy of mine tried to buy them, after 2 different times the continental tires that were shipped to tire dealer in FL were around a year old. He finally decided to just get Michelins. This may have been a rare occurrence but just wanted to caution you to check the date codes.

Coincidentally, I just bought new Michelin tires and the date code on them was less than 2 months old when they installed them.

Chad
Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dumped the Front Goodyears

Quote:
Well, a few more trips back to the shop to have my Toyo's tire shake looked at. Never seen this before:

Tires slip on the rim and get out of center after driving a few miles. On my last visit, they removed all the tire lube from the wheel and tire bead and tried it dry. Tire will not center (with or without lube) and slipped on my first drive out.

Not sure what is going on there, anyone ever have this happen and if so, what did you do to stop it?

Also, anyone know the pricing of the Michelin or Continental tires in the 295/80 R22.5 using the FMCA discount?

Thanks

Windecker
I need 6 and called last week. I thought the discount would be more:

Xza2 energy fmca price $664.42 vs $765.92
If you are not a member of fmca use my referral F426222 and I'll send you another $10 (they give me a $10 credit and I'll pass it in to you).
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I need 6 and called last week. I thought the discount would be more:

Xza2 energy fmca price $664.42 vs $765.92
If you are not a member of fmca use my referral F426222 and I'll send you another $10 (they give me a $10 credit and I'll pass it in to you).
I would look at the Continental program as I think it is cheaper than the Michelin program.
Bill
Old 06-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #64

Quote:
Thanks Chad, understood and agreed. The shop said they wanted to try this one more time before swapping to another manufacture. The issue is (against my wishes) on the first go of it they true cut the tires to make them perfect. Now since being cut down they can't be returned. The shop will have to eat them which they agreed to do.
Last time I tried to buy FMCA tires it was actually still cheaper for me to purchase at the local shop. I let my FMCA membership expire. Was hoping to get the pricing from FMCA before I call the shop back to tell them it was a no go this past week with the "last" attempt.
I have certainly been through the ringer with my new to me Monaco

Windecker
Windecker, sorry to just now respond. Super long day at work. If you still want to know the prices PM me and I'll look them up for you. I'll give you my # and you can call or text me. I'll help anyway I can.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #65

Less money but, has anyone here had Continentals on their rig for any length of time and if so, are you happy with them?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #66

RV670 blowout

The saga continues with our tire issues.
The Toyo's have not slipped since the last slip immediately after the last remounting (huh?).
We decided to install the Michelin ZXA2 tire whenever it became available on the steers and possibly move the Toyo's to the tag. Of course the Michelin is on national back order "again" till who knows when.

I called Michelin, they said (about a month ago in late June), they are not producing them and had no announcements as to when they would. But, decisions are made on Monday's and once announced would be 6 weeks before I could access a tire.

OK, Toyo's not slipping at this point and running OK, Rear tires all the dreaded RV670 right at 6 years. Last weekend, poof, blew out an inner duel RV670 and caused virtually no damage except my sewer hose pipe got a dent in it. Tire shredded at 68MPH, nobody hurt thank God.

Emergency roadside from GoodSam found some FRESH Michelin ZXA2 tires in my 295 80R22.5 size. Dated 2617 in town, literally just arrived from Italy. Not sure what that says about the 6 week thing or if they mean no production in the states for 6 weeks?? Pricing was decent, $615.00 each plus FET plus state tax for the after emergency pricing.

So we now have 2 new duel Michelins on the left rear and I purchased the only other 4 Michelins we could find (at that same dealer in town) to put on the steers and other Duels. Guess moving the Toyo's to the tag.

All that said, curious about this 315 tire some guys are running. I need to check the clearances I guess but that option is on the table I guess still for the steers.

At these prices, experimenting around is not something taken lightly!

I sure hope my teething issues with this coach are coming to an end soon.
Windecker.

Quote:

Thanks
Windecker
Old 09-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CONTINENTAL 295/80R22.5, tread HSR2 SA, base price +FET $703.15, FMCA price + F.E.T. $547.27 Load range H.

MICHELIN 295/80R22.5 XZA2 ENERGY 152M LRH, Tread XZA2 Energy, MSPN 76807, Base price + F.E.T. $765.92, FMCA price +F.E.T. $664.42

To be clear you still need to add the FET to the above prices. +mounting +balancing and any outher installation cost.
I just replaced my 255/80R2205 Michelin's with 275/80R22.5 Continental's. The base price on the Continental's was $418.00 for load range H.

Ok, after it was all said and done It cost $3288.13 out the door for the 6 Continentals. I saved $1164.72 over the list price and the BIG one I saved $613.64 over using the FMCA Michelin program for comparable tires.
I have about 2000 miles on them and no problems.
Bill