Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #1

Gooday Folks
Being a Canadian fulltimer that must migrate in winter I am considering purchasing new tires in the US this trip and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to duty and taxes due on return as the prices I have here in Ontario are around $1200 to $1400 higher than the US....dont know why as the Can dollar is at $.97 US as of today
Thanks
Dennis
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #2

Gooday Folks
Being a Canadian fulltimer that must migrate in winter I am considering purchasing new tires in the US this trip and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to duty and taxes due on return as the prices I have here in Ontario are around $1200 to $1400 higher than the US....dont know why as the Can dollar is at $.97 US as of today
Thanks
Dennis
Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #3

Not sure what the duty is, but you will have to pay GST. You could get two bills and divide them with the "better half" and declare them with your exemption. I would check with Canadian Customs. I also added new Goodyear tires this summer, and checked for US quotes, however, my difference was only a few hundred dollars. Biggest difference was the total taxes. In the end I decided it was not worth the hasle.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #4

Ottawa.(don't know your name)
i have prices for the 6 tires here at $693ea plus balance and install plus Ont. Taxes and T Belles Tire in Deerborn Mich. they are $505.balanced and installed ..tax extra....huge savings
I have been told that because of NAFTA there is no duty ,only taxes on return but cannot confirm that
The tires are Goodyear G395 LHS 295 75 22.5 LRH (not G670RV they don't make my size in them)
Old 09-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #5

Dennis

I found this on a Transport Canada site.

Can I purchase tires in the United States for personal use in Canada?
Yes, provided that the tires have a United States Department of Transport (DOT) symbol on the tires, you may import them into Canada. Moreover, you must declare the tires at Canada Customs and pay the applicable taxes and/or duties. For more information about taxes and/or duties, contact Canada Customs at (604) 666-0545.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #6

Thanks for the info...some personal experience would have been nice but I will call them
Old 09-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Retired Senior Member

You think the border guys will notice that you've replaced the tires?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
You think the border guys will notice that you've replaced the tires? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not to be deceptive, but I was wondering the same thing.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote