Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

DYI replacement of carpet with Vinyl Tile in 2006 HR Endeavor 40'

I am considering replacing the carpet in my 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' Coach. I currently have carpet and ceramic tile. Has anyone done this themselves? I am doing a remodel and would like to do the floors at the same time. I am taking the curbside couch with air mattress out and replacing with Lazy Boy recliners and replacing the roadside Jackknife sofa with a desk containing a lift TV. I also have to remove the bed frame to lower it 4 " to accommodate our new Kingsdown mattress. With all this equipment removed, it is a good time to do the floor.
Thanks for any input.
Allen
2006 HR Endeavor 40' with Cummins ISL 400 HP
40,000 miles
Soon-To-Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow - subscribing because I KNOW you are going to document it every step of the way so others can follow your lead

I too want a tv across from the couch... (or, even better, recliners!)
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon-To-Be View Post
I am considering replacing the carpet in my 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' Coach. I currently have carpet and ceramic tile. Has anyone done this themselves? I am doing a remodel and would like to do the floors at the same time. I am taking the curbside couch with air mattress out and replacing with Lazy Boy recliners and replacing the roadside Jackknife sofa with a desk containing a lift TV. I also have to remove the bed frame to lower it 4 " to accommodate our new Kingsdown mattress. With all this equipment removed, it is a good time to do the floor.
Thanks for any input.
Allen
40,000 miles

I recommend Mannington Adura luxury vinyl tile. We put it in in '11 and it still looks new. We are full timers and it lives hard.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Yes I have done this myself on my 02 Endeavor. I left the slides carpeted but removed the ceramic tile. I used the Armstrong luxury vinyl tile that Lowes sells. The first question in my mind would be; do you intend to leave the ceramic tile?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

I did most of the grunt work but left the install to a pro. I remove tile from around the kitchen counter to ensure that the entire floor was level.
Lots of work but well worth it. I was originally going to go with a floating floor but received info from several people to glue the vinal down.

The installer used an adhesive which remains flexible and I have not any problem with hot/cold cycles. The installer said with the flexible adhesive any replacement of a plank if needed would be simple. I replaced the carpet on th slide out. DW loves it and it's looking good. I use extra vinal planks to protect the floor from the slide out.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
want to watch this
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Does pictures help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment rv floor.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	105149  
Old 08-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the picture. Looks nice. Did you do this yourself? We are looking to do Vinyl Plank flooring, but a little unsure of how to remove tile from under the kitchen slide. We would also prefer to do away with the carpeting on the slides if possible.
Allen
Soon-To-Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon-To-Be View Post
Thanks for any input.
Allen
40,000 miles

Allen, I didn't do the replacement myself, but got everything ready for the tile and carpet guys to come it and do it. Look at post #75 and #162 in the link below that covers the installation. One of the best improvements we have made for sure!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/anot...-213472-6.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

Yes I did it myself. Involves a lot of labor but not a lot of technical knowledge. I originally did vinyl plank flooring while leaving the original ceramic tile. It was ok in my opinion but did seem like it was little more prone to small gaps opening between planks depending on humidity etc. (more between the ends than the sides). Personally I thought it was a little to much wood looking, but that opinion could vary from person to person. I don't know if all models or years are done the same way or not but on mine the tile is put on an extra layer of OSB board before the walls, cabinets, etc. are built. I removed the extra layer because I wanted the floor to be continuous from front to back. This involves cutting around all walls that are placed over the tile. Opps gotta run will type more later.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
technical knowledge wil be needed on this project
k turf rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
the kitchen slide has 2 rollers that roll on the tile. You can access these by the drawers and the vented panel. You will notice a bolt with 2 jam nuts. Once you start removing the tile- and the Endeavor I just did, had 1/2 inch underlayment. You can loosen the nuts and bolt and the tile will come out. I usually place a piece of plywood under that roller and tighten it down like the factory had it. Same with aft roller. If you have the underlayment, you can remove that so that the whole floor will be on the same plane.
This isn't technical? Rubbish- if you don't know what you are doing, could be a cluster
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #13

Apparently I have technical abilities I didn't know I had. I thought all I had was determination and a thin wallet(or to many toys).
Ernie-I initially used the extra plywood but then you have to have "travel boards" when bringing the slide in correct? I understand you do good work so I am not trying to critique your work but you may want to consider my solution, shown below, if you do another Endeavor or similar. If nothing else you might give the customer the option of taking them and having them welded.
OP if you have the extra layer of OSB board, you would need to cut around all walls/cabinets that are built over the tile. You will probably have to remove the refrigerator and toilet. I would remove the tile and extra OSB together in large sections. The tiles are extremely hard to remove from the OSB, so why bother, if you plan on removing the extra layer. The extra layer of OSB is not overly attached to the primary board. I would leave the section under the slide for last. What I did was to cut along the front of the cabinets/slide leaving just the section under the slide to remove. I put myself thru a lot of extra work by not realizing that I could have simply removed the rollers that are in the cabinets. Someone had warned me not to remove the rollers, come to find out they had different ones. I dragged the last section out from under the rollers by screwing in 3 eye screws into the extra OSB and then used 3 more eye screws in the main floor across the room from the slide. I then attached winch cargo straps and used that to drag the remaining section out from under the slide. If you remove the extra layer of OSB the rollers will no longer make contact with the floor. There is a simple fix however. The rollers that are in the cabinets have mounting wings. I was able to easily cut the wings off with a sawzall and flip the "wings" over and weld the flaps back on flush with the top of the roller, making them the perfect height for the new floor(see pics). I was able to do this myself even though I have no welding skills, so anyone with a welder should be able to do it in no time. Hope this helps, be glad to answer any questions. 1st pic is roller in stock condition.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Since the new wood, in the Endeavor I just completed, I backed off the roller bolt and when the new floor was installed, re-tightened the roller to glide on the new wood. The new wood was 5/8 thick. I believe if it was thinner, the trick you used of re positioning the wings would have worked.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, carpet, replace, replacement