Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Dynasty engine size

I am looking at Motorhomes and an older Dynasty with a tag is a strong contender. I have seen numerous posts on engine sizes and in general folks seem to be in agreement that 1 HP/1000 pounds gross vehicle weight is what is appropriate regarding the size required for a class A DP.

This said these older Dynastys seem to be powered by much less. One I just viewed was ISL 370 - 43k gvw 53k combined weight. However, owners never seem to complain about lack of power. Is it that they accept the slowdown on hills especially when towing or is there something I am missing.

If this is already posted somewhere I apologize I am a newby.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very, very few RV's are going to travel up grades at speeds that you do in an automobile!

It's just the way it is!

Welcome to the forum !

Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat738 View Post
I am looking at Motorhomes and an older Dynasty with a tag is a strong contender. I have seen numerous posts on engine sizes and in general folks seem to be in agreement that 1 HP/1000 pounds gross vehicle weight is what is appropriate regarding the size required for a class A DP.

This said these older Dynastys seem to be powered by much less. One I just viewed was ISL 370 - 43k gvw 53k combined weight. However, owners never seem to complain about lack of power. Is it that they accept the slowdown on hills especially when towing or is there something I am missing.

If this is already posted somewhere I apologize I am a newby.
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't get to hung up on "power" you are going to slow down on steep hills regardless of the advertised HP. You need to learn how to down shift to keep the coach in the upper end of the torque and HP band. You are driving a heavy truck based RV not your car or SUV.
One thing to look at for fun is apply that formula to your car.
Also as the engines get bigger so does the weight of the coach.
Any questions just ask.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

None of the coaches are overpowered!

Note the GVW is the chassis capacity, not the weight of the coach. The actual build weight is usually listed on a spec sheet attached to the inside of the medicine cabinet in older Monaco coaches.

My coach has a GVW of 33,000 lbs but the built weight (including fuel, water and two people) is around 27,000.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

The formula I was told is 100 hp for each 10 ft of the coach.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #6

Yep. A 10' coach with 100hp should climb grades nicely !
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

Minor correction, the rule-of-thumb formula to which you refer, would be 1hp / 100 lb (not 1000). At 1hp / 1000 lbs, you would have a 40 horsepower engine pushing your 40,000 lb coach! But think of the fuel economy

Frankly, I'm certain you would get 10 different answers from 10 different people if you asked them to create a such an equation.

I'll share my situation for your reference:

My 44,600 GVWR coach has a 400 hp Cummins. During my last purchase, I downsized from a 550 horsepower coach that had roughly the same GVWR. Currently, I enjoy 1.6 MPG increase in economy, and the only downside is, frankly, barely noticeable... passing at highway speeds. The low-end feels the same - just as torque-y (made-up word). The steepest mountains I cross, typically, are on I-75 thru Kentucky and Tennessee. Even with tow Car (mid-size cross over) and fully loaded, I can still maintain 60 mph... Though sometimes I will slow it down to 55 if I don't feel like kicking the revs up. Net result, no regrets "downgrading" to the 400 horsepower on my 42 foot Monaco Dynasty.

I would recommend that you test drive a rig that approximates what you're hoping to buy. I think you'll find that when you're ready to "kick it in the ass", you'll be impressed with how much torque these engines produce.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #8

Bring it out west over the Rockies .

Guarantee you wont be climbing the hills at 60 !
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine would be considered a "hot rod" with 650hp and a GVWR of 54,000#'s. Now if I added a 15,000# double stacker I could go to 69,000#'s GCVWR. I don't slow down on the hills and still average 7.6 mpg over 49,000 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Bring it out west over the Rockies .

Guarantee you wont be climbing the hills at 60 !
Yah, I misspoke when I called them mountains... I should have said "hills" :-) After I settled into life on this side of the Rockies, I quit crossing terrain where the altitude is listed in "flight levels" as opposed to feet above sea level.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Ha !

Best, or worst, (depending how you look at it), that I have done, is a short section of HWY 4 on Vancouver Island. 18% grade !
Old 01-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
First, ask for the engine torque rating, not hp. Some engines will have identical 350hp ratings, but a Cummins 5.9 will have 800 ft lbs and a Cummins ISC will have 1050 ft lbs.
The 370hp Cummins ISL was a transition during the early 2000's and was raised to a 400hp ISL a year or so later. Shortly after that it went to 425 and now is 450.

Actually, engine power is one of the strong points of early Monaco coaches. If you want more power, move up the Monaco model list one notch. Most of the Executives came with a 500hp Cummins ISM (1550 ft lbs). Many of the Executives are priced below Dynasty's.
The Beaver Patriot ( Monaco cousin to the Dynasty and Executive) came with a C13 Caterpillar that will feel like a race car.
The Holiday Rambler Navigator is another Monaco cousin that also came standard with the 500hp Cummins ISM. Many Navigators and Executives were equipped with an optional Cummins 525hp ISX and even a Detroit 515hp Series 60. The Detroit Series 60 was a $23k option, so if you find a nice one, grab it!

I recommend you search nationwide, not just locally. Prices will vary as much as $50k on the same coach. Use this forum, RVT.com, and RVtrader.com.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #13

The large gap between gears in a 6speed transmission is a drawback when you are marginally powered. Too bad Allison didn't make a 10 speed auto!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

Thanks for the input.
Sorry about the extra zero, if i had thought for a moment, should have realized it was a non starter.
I have been looking at the older high end Monacos and their associated cousins most have 500 hp and develop max torque at relatively low rpm. This was how I started to develop an interest in the Dynasty, as they seemed to have most of the high end goodies but without some of the extra electronics at a considerably lower price point.
My goal is to cross North America both Canada and US in a nice coach, so escaping the Rockies is not an option. I also know from using my boat (that will make way for the RV) that we tend to carry a lot of gear, regardless of my desire to cut down.
The other thought is that the bigger engines would probably provide better compression braking as it is not all uphill. I am not looking for a 40ft+ race car but do not want to be underpowered.
My general thoughts were to go to 350 minimum if a single axle and minimum of 400 for tag.
Again thanks for the input, I have found a lot of useful info on this forum even before i joined so thanks to all.

Tags
engine