Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

I read so many complaints on this forum: Cracking caps, rough ride and more. When I read these posts almost all of the problems seem to be with the units below the Dynasty level. I realize that these entry to mid level units outsell the others and thus more problems will show up. But it seems out of proportion. Is the Roadmaster chassis in these units that bad?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

I read so many complaints on this forum: Cracking caps, rough ride and more. When I read these posts almost all of the problems seem to be with the units below the Dynasty level. I realize that these entry to mid level units outsell the others and thus more problems will show up. But it seems out of proportion. Is the Roadmaster chassis in these units that bad?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
moisheh -- Our 42ft Camelot has the exact same chassis as your Dynasty, & I`ve had the same corner cracks as the coaches with lighter chassis -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #4

Bill:

Although I am a Monaco novice I think you are mistaken. From the Dynasty and up they use a S series semi monocoque chassis. The 42 ft. Camelot uses a RR10S which is NOT a semi monocoque. Perhaps one of the experts can explain the difference better than I but in a full monocoque the side walls, roof and frame are all integrated. I think if you go to the Roadmaster site you can see some differences in the pictures.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our 42ft Camelot has the exact same chassis as your Dynasty, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that is not the case. The Dynasty uses the Semi-monocoque chassis and the Camelot uses the RR10S chassis.
I'm not an engineer, so I don't know all the differences, but they are not the same. The frame rails are not even the same size and strength ratings.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In addition to the monocoque chassis, the Dynasty and up have all steel side and roof framing (as opposed to aluminum on Camelot, Diplomat etc. This gives extra strength to the whole body-cage.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

Bill:

For a minute you had me doubting. Go to the MCC site and call up your unit. You will see that there are no real similarities in construction. Totally different chassis, steel sides and roof vs. aluminum, may even have different shocks (bilsteins) Even the engine is mounted differently. I am not stating this to knock your Camelot but still wondering if maybe the other chassis are problematic?? Of course just reading a brand specific forum is not a proper statistical sampling. I would like to hear from some Dynsty owners to see if they have been having the same troubles. We are only at just under 10,000 miles and most of my problems are very minor. Mostly things that the white cane inspection missed!! But maybe some things will show up in time. I have noticed one thing on my roof. The roof is "loose" at the point where the caps attach. That is when you step on it the fiberglass will move up and down. That does not seem right to me.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My 2 cents, I think that the Monaco chassis is more like a sport car and some of the other chassis ride better but dont handle as well. I would think that the Cameolot and Diplomat for that matter would ride similar to the Dynasty because we have the same set up under the coach, no Difference both uses the H frame both uses 8 or in the 42+ 10 airbags, The Dynasty would have larger air bags because of the weight of the coach.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For what it's worth, the dealer that fixed our roof cracks (yes, all four corners) stated they see and fix the same cracks on as many Dynastys and Signatures as well.

As for the ride, our ride is very smooth but still plan to someday upgrade to Koni FSD shocks.

CC
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #10

walt2137:

My point was that they are NOT the same. No more alike than a Freightliner or a Workhorse. All diesels have a frame and airbags. But not all are semi monocoque like the Dynasty and up. The frame rails are made of different materials as are the side walls. Totally different engineering. I think one would have 2 test drive both to feel the difference. Talk to Monaco and they can provide a complete explanation.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
moisheh -- I have no idea what semi monocoque is,but both the Dynasty & 42ft Camelot use the RR10S chassis -- The Camelot chassis is made from 31/2 x 61/4 x 3/8 inch 100,000 psi steel, & the Dynasty chassis is made of 3 x 8 x 1/4 inch 60,000 psi steel -- The same amount of air bags in the same place, the same amount of shocks -- The ride would be the same, if ride height is adjusted -- No doubt the Dynasty is better in alot of ways -- I have tile floor, & after 25000 miles, none have cracked, so the chassis must be doing it`s job -- Tell me what monocque is & I`ll hush -- Gliding along on my RR10S chassis -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the thing that is forgotten here is the fact that the people on this forum represent probably less than 3% of the Monaco owners across the United States. So a small problem becomes magnified.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The Dynasty and above have the wall and roof framing welded together and then welded to the frame. This forms a one piece shell to build the walls and roof to. The Camelot and below have the walls built as sections and then attached to the frame. The framing is aluminum. The roof is attached to the walls also using aluminum framing.

I believe the term monocoque is from the French and means single shell construction like an aircraft body. This type of construction is why the Dynasty and above have more curve where the side meets the roof.

Bob
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Willard:
moisheh -- I have no idea what semi monocoque is,but both the Dynasty & 42ft Camelot use the RR10S chassis -- The Camelot chassis is made from 31/2 x 61/4 x 3/8 inch 100,000 psi steel, & the Dynasty chassis is made of 3 x 8 x 1/4 inch 60,000 psi steel -- The same amount of air bags in the same place, the same amount of shocks -- The ride would be the same, if ride height is adjusted -- No doubt the Dynasty is better in alot of ways -- I have tile floor, & after 25000 miles, none have cracked, so the chassis must be doing it`s job -- Tell me what monocque is & I`ll hush -- Gliding along on my RR10S chassis -- Bill Willard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #14

Diplomat Don:

Yes any forum is not much of a cross section of owners. Howvere sometimes you do see a problem that is repeated over and over. eg: The owners of Fleetwoods and others with the SEGI windows, the early 2000 Fleetwoods with delam problems, the Nationals that had the bad sides. There are more and I would expect that some Monaco units had repetitive problems.
2009 Silverado Toad