Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Electric dinghy brakes

I started towing my 2015 caddy srx,should I install the braking system for it or not if so,what is the best system for my type of vehicle?
Has any body with a SRX installed a Roadmaster invisi brake?
Thanks for your help.

James
2003 HR Imperial 40 PST- 2015 SRX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you should always install an auxiliary braking system in a Toad. Not only is it the requirement in some states, it's the physical law in all states. In addition, the braking system should allow for emergency break-a-way braking in case the vehicle comes loose. If you don't think your vehicle needs brakes, take it out in a flat, open parking lot and push the car until it starts rolling. Then run around to the front and try to stop it. You want every axle that has tires touching the road to have a braking force to reduce the inertia when it comes time to stop the vehicles moving together down the road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just as it takes more power to move more weight it takes more braking power to stop it. I've never heard anyone say they wish they had less braking.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #4

We installed (had installed) the Air Force One in our '17 Acadia, which is a close cousin to your SRX. Clean install. Uses a coiled air line between the coach and the car for controlling the braking. They installed a module under the hood, above the engine, driver's side. There is some activation hardware attached to the brake pedal. An integrated pump provides vacuum for the braking system for a breakaway situation. There is an LED strip almost invisibly mounted on the inside mirror to show activation.

Unless you are really handy, I would leave the installation to a shop that knows what they're doing, and your car isn't anywhere near their first rodeo.

Some friends of ours had a tow bar base plate failure on their GMC Terrain, and they were extremely glad they had the auxiliary braking system in their car, otherwise it would have been a huge, uncontrolled projectile as it embarked on its own journey, one morning.
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an older SMI smart box installed in our SRX. The vacuum pump is in the cargo area. We have a radio transmitter to an acitvation receiver in the coach, sets off a light and an irritating tone. The SRX is not a do it yourself car when it comes to installing a brake system or tow wiring.

I have heard from my SRX towing friends that The Air Force one is a good unit, with most of the parts under the engine hood. It uses air from a Diesel Pusher's own system. The Stay in Play Duo replaced my unit, controller/vacuum pump is now under the hood and the brake actuator cylinder mounted to the brake pedal is very small compared to mine. It will work with any coach.
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

Electric dinghy brakes

I, too, love the Air Force One setup by SMI. Once installed, you will forget about it. If you have no auxiliary break don’t travel in CA or Canada—it’s the law there as in many states. The auxiliary brake does make a difference; for about a year we travelled without a tow car because of the fear of even more length as if 43 feet was not enough. When we finally got the courage to tow we could immediately feel the braking power difference with an auxiliary brake engaged. SMI also has a device that will light up in the coach when the brakes in the tow car are engaged—just a piece of mind toy to have.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Thank you for your advice.I decided to tow my 2015 srx and installed a Roadmaster 9700 Break system,so far so good.
James
Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you mean 'brake' system, not 'break' system. Very different meanings! Glad you settled on one. To satisfy yourself as to its function and settings for your Toad, put it on the floor of the passenger well and drive around with it. I did this to make sure my system worked and at what sensitivity setting I wanted to use.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Road-master 9700 brake system

On my brand new Road-master Brake system, there is one wire that was installed and runs from the brake unit in the car up to the dash at the front of my RV that has a red LED light and lights up when I step on the brakes and works when I'm stopped or moving slow,30-35 mph but when I pick up speed on the freeway it stops working and can not figure out why. The weird thing is it's one single wire to the LED light and a ground wire coming off the light.
And this is the really weird thing,the light comes on sometimes when I use the exhaust brake.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
"I pick up speed on the freeway it stops working and can not figure out why" Are you braking with enough force to make the inertia sensor engage the brake? The exhaust brake might be slowing you enough to cause the brakes to engage in the unit. It might have to do with the sensitivity setting. Have you ridden around with it in the passenger footwell to see if you have it set correctly?

Bob & Donna
Old 04-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #11

That's a good idea riding in the car to watch it operate,but the Jake brake engaging the brake system doesn't make any sense to me because,the exhaust brake retarders the engine and has nothing to do with the external breaking mechanisms and yes I put plenty of pressure on the rv brake peddle.So I'm still lost.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJan52 View Post
That's a good idea riding in the car to watch it operate,but the Jake brake engaging the brake system doesn't make any sense to me because, the exhaust brake retarders the engine and has nothing to do with the external breaking mechanisms and yes I put plenty of pressure on the rv brake peddle.So I'm still lost.
The Jake brake reduces speed causing a change in inertia, which could be sensed by the toad auxiliary brake, engaging the toad's brakes.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The Jake brake reduces speed causing a change in inertia, which could be sensed by the toad auxiliary brake, engaging the toad's brakes.
Thank's for your response but only an electrical pulse will engage an electric brake system so how will inertia resulting from an exhaust engage mechanical brakes? Plus I still haven't figured why the LED light only works at a slow or stopped.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJan52 View Post
Thank's for your response but only an electrical pulse will engage an electric brake system so how will inertia resulting from an exhaust engage mechanical brakes? Plus I still haven't figured why the LED light only works at a slow or stopped.
I just looked up the Road-master 9700 brake system and do see that instead of an inertia sensing system it connects directly to the RV brake light circuit. My system has a built-in inertia sensor that only applies the brakes when it detects a sudden slowing in the RV. Sorry.

I'd suspect that the wiring from the RV brake lights to the 9700 must be the fault, it's a pretty simple connection.

Bob & Donna

Tags
brake, brakes, electric