Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Electrical

I was in a campground that has 50 amps; it was showing 118/122 volts. I was busy getting hooked up for a nice weekend. I had both ac's on and the electric hot water heater, when I opened the door and the steps came out the main breaker blew, I turned it back on and everything was fine. We left and went to eat returned and still everything was OK, carried the dog for a walk and returned in a few minutes and the coach was full of smoke, it was coming from the 120volt distribution center. I removed the cover to find that the rear AC and the 120 water heater wires coming from two 20 amp breakers had melted and the connections to plastic connectors with a printed circuit board. You can see the damage in pictures. I called Monaco for some assistance, I talked to a tactical person and he immediately told me this was the cause of a loose wire, he turned me over to a parts rep but he could not find the part I needed, he is contacting a tect. and see if I can get the part with the connections, he was the opinion I would have to buy the complete electrical box.

My question is has anyone ever had this problem where the damage was just to a certain part of the board, the front air was running but had no damage and does anyone know where these parts can be bought and not have to buy the complete box but that may be the way to go, one of the breakers almost fell out went I pulled the wires loose. Thanks for any suggestions or an answer to the problem; I don’t want that to happen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120179.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	12576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120180.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	12578  

Name:	P1120181.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	12579   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120183.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	12580  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A good reminder that our house on wheels is subjected to vibration and we should check those electrical connections every so often.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Do you occasionally tighten the screws in your electrical box, would that be considered a normal maintenance practice. with all teh bumps and such I just wondered how many people do this on a regular basis. I think after this I will start.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Checking the wires for tightness can be just a slight tugging on the wires to see if they're tight. As the OP stated, “one of the breakers almost fell out went I pulled the wires loose”.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good post here. You know I've been an electrician for 42 years and it's always good to see a helpful reminder like this. Hate to see something like this happen to someone especially when their out to have a good weeked on fun and relaxation. Just checked all connections in the breaker box and everything was tight. Now will check connections in lower bay and make sure all is good there as well. Again thanks , sometimes you just take things for granted.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That particular electrical panel is your Intellitec EMS Distribution and power shedding system. This system is primarily used when you are connected to anything less than 50 amp shore power. Depending on your power consumption it will shed certain devices as you approach the maximum amount of amps available.

You might try calling Intellitec directly to see what they have to say. I would think it would be cheaper than what Monaco would charge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my rig was still fairly new (Six months or less) I was having issues with my Air Conditioners.. Sometimes the front would work, sometimes not, Sometimes the rear, sometimes not, I don't recall both of them not working, 30 or 50 amps did not matter.

Finally pulled the cover off the breaker box and attacked the problem screwdriver on.

I'm now fond of saying many RVers have a few screws loose.

One of those screws took over TWO FULL TURNS before it started to snug down.

(See why the screws loose statement)

Today, they are tight.. I still have a couple of heat damaged wires though.. Trust me though, those screws are now TIGHT!

(I have this nasty habbit of snapping high grade bolts when I accidently over tighten.. In the old days I'd snap quarter inch bolts with my thumb wrapped around the head of the wrench,, I don't do that any more but hey.. They are easy to break.. Only broke one in the breaker box.. it's tight though)
Old 07-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dr4Film-Wa8yxm

You two guys seem to know about the electrical on a rig, can you tell me from the pictures if I can replace the parts that are burned or do I need to replace the complete inside of the box. I am not a very good electrician but I have people that work for me that are good residential electricians.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I repaired a triple slide out control board that had been overheated from a short. It took out part of the circuit. I attempted to solder over the gap making a bridge but ended up soldering a wire to bridge the gap. Personally, it doesn't look anywhere close to the same amount of damage that your board and photo indicates.

Your board looks pretty toasted.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 Slide-Out Board-1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	12612   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Slide-Out Board-6.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	12613  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I think it's gone, I e-mailed the company and asked if I what I needed to replace, I think you are right
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
KIX

Montiem,
yes, it looks like you can replace the breakers and the EMS board. In my coach the EMS was made by Intellitec and looks like yours. I think you can find some help here:
Intellitec Battery products : R & K Products
Good luck
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just an update, the problem is fixed at a cost of $689.00, that will be the last loose screw in the electrical box, thanks for all the help
Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #13

Thanks for the update, was the cost for just the new board or board and labor at a dealer? I have tightened all my screws that I can find. Transfer switch, breaker/circuit panel, and all boards that I can locate.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the photos I'm not sure but I do not think you need to replace anything other than the damaged parts.

Tags
electrical