RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Electrical outage, stranded in Walmart lot in Missouri

I have a 2006 Monaco Diplomat having 4 6 volt golf batteries. Tonight we cooked a pizza in our convection oven without having the generator turn on. Dumb me! After a while using the oven the power went completely dead all of a sudden. No lighting at all. No power to 12 volt outlets and etc. I used jumper cables jumping from starting batteries to 6 volt batteries to see if I could get a charge in the house batteries. For a short time ceiling florescent lights worked. After a few minutes I tried again turning on the florescent lights but no power at all. Let engine run 40 minutes but no charge to the 6 volt batteries. Checked all circuit breakers in coach as well as the pop out breakers on the inverter. None were tripped. Any help would be appreciated.

Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Why didn't you start the generator when you had the engine running???

You need 4-6 hours of run time to bring your batteries back up to full charge. If you can get the generator running that will do it for you. I would be looking for a jumpstart of the engine then go someplace I could plug in overnight or see if I could start the genset while the engine is running. If I got the genset running then leave it on for 5-6 hours and camp somewhere with power that night. Run a few hours unplugged to see how the batteries do before plugging in to charge them. If you are lucky a low voltage controller is shutting you off not totally flat batteries.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
I have a 2006 Monaco Diplomat having 4 6 volt golf batteries. Tonight we cooked a pizza in our convection oven without having the generator turn on. Dumb me! After a while using the oven the power went completely dead all of a sudden. No lighting at all. No power to 12 volt outlets and etc. I used jumper cables jumping from starting batteries to 6 volt batteries to see if I could get a charge in the house batteries. For a short time ceiling florescent lights worked. After a few minutes I tried again turning on the florescent lights but no power at all. Let engine run 40 minutes but no charge to the 6 volt batteries. Checked all circuit breakers in coach as well as the pop out breakers on the inverter. None were tripped. Any help would be appreciated.

The convection oven will suck the life out of batteries in a hurry. Since you have the engine running, hook the jumper back up and start the generator. It will get some juice back in your house batteries.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If charging the batteries doesn't work then if you have a Rear Run Box in the engine compartment open it up and look for these Hi Bus circuit breakers seen in the picture below. There are five of them in the picture but you may have less. If they pop a little lever will be sticking out from them. Look and see if any levers are sticking out and if so push it back into the unit. It looks scary in there but it is all just 12 volts.
Attached Images

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The good news is you are at Wal*mart.

Ask, at the auto shop if they have a jump Start battery you can borrow or rent (Perhaps with a technician) Use it to start the generator if you can or to start the main engine if you are in a motor home..

(IN a trailer start the tow vehicle and if it charges the house.. LET IT)

But I would (Actually DID) jump start the generator..

Best way to do this is to hook the jump pack directly to the Generator.. On one end or the other shoudl be a big bolt marked 12V+ with a red cap.. That is where the positive wire goes

Negative goes to any metal frame part of the GENERATOR.

Turn off everything you can first and have your partner hit the disconnect switch soon as the light beside it comes on (light will stay on) this way the battery does not suck the jump pack dry.

KEEP jump pack connected till you hear the transfer switch connect and light (leave one on) Brightens..

Then re-connect the house batteries so they can charge.. FOR SIX HOURS. Thank the man, pay the labor bill and good day.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The good news is you are at Wal*mart.

Ask, at the auto shop if they have a jump Start battery you can borrow or rent (Perhaps with a technician) Use it to start the generator if you can or to start the main engine if you are in a motor home..

(IN a trailer start the tow vehicle and if it charges the house.. LET IT)

But I would (Actually DID) jump start the generator..

Best way to do this is to hook the jump pack directly to the Generator.. On one end or the other shoudl be a big bolt marked 12V+ with a red cap.. That is where the positive wire goes

Negative goes to any metal frame part of the GENERATOR.

Turn off everything you can first and have your partner hit the disconnect switch soon as the light beside it comes on (light will stay on) this way the battery does not suck the jump pack dry.

KEEP jump pack connected till you hear the transfer switch connect and light (leave one on) Brightens..

Then re-connect the house batteries so they can charge.. FOR SIX HOURS. Thank the man, pay the labor bill and good day.

X2. Be thankful your not in the boonies.

powderman is offline   Reply With Quote