Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Electrical problem, inverter, Batts, orher?

Ok, so we started fulltiming 10 days ago. Today, unhooked from pedestal power and started hearing a very loud Humm from the box that contains all of the relays, solenoids and fuses. I can feel the ox buzzing, but cannot isolate a specific item in there that is buzzing or humming. All connections are tight in there also.

When I got to our new location, the fridge was a good 10 degrees warmer than it should be. Didn't check it prior to plugging back into shore power.

Invertor compartment was very warm and the fans were working overtime. After some troubleshooting with Magnum, I am equalizing the batteries right now and voltage seemed to be a little low and dropped off quicker than it should.

I have isolated that when the inverter is on, the humm/buzz occurs in the relay compartment (the inverter is just running fans for noise). When I turn the investor off at the Magnum panel, the noise stopped (when not connected to shore power). I have tried every action circuit and even the main 50 amp breaker, makes no difference.

Twice when testing I got a fault and over temp error at the Magnum panel.

The noise does go away and all seems normal when connected to shore power.

If the batteries are going bad, would it cause that much of a draw to overheat the inverter? Assuming there is excessive load on the inverter...being transfered to 'something' in the powered management box?

No Mobile techs in the area. Short of just throwing money at it...I am not really sure where you look next.

Thanks in advance
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had crazy electrical problems in the past, most recently it was 1 bad AGM battery in the bank of 4.
Bad grounds can cause weird issues as well. I know you mention all connections are good but it may worth finding the grounding bar in the rear run bay and loosen, clean and re-torque all grounding terminals.

Is the buzz you hear coming from the battery isolator in that same RR bay.
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
YC1

Any chance there is a GFCI nearby? Some will buzz when powered by a modified sine wave inverter.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
GFCI was recommended by the repair shop, it is on the other side of the coach.
I will see again tomorrow when I get home. Monaco suggested checking voltage atoss the inverter fuse also.
The main ground buss bar must behind something in that box. It doesn't jump out at me.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't done so already check all your cable to battery and cable to inverter end connections. Check means remove each connector and make sure the connections are clean and there's no corrosion between the connector and cable. Also make sure their clean and tight. 90% of inverter problems are battery and/or connection problems.
Do a load test on each individual battery and check each cell with the float gauge. Make sure the inverter/charger goes thru all it's charge modes.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Harbor Freight sells a battery load test for about $15. That will tell you quickly the condition of the batteries. How old are they?
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I took the batteries out and took them to a shop to have them load tested. They tested fine. I bought a hydrometer check the acid. It is all well within the fair to good area. I clean every connection I could find underneath ground and likewise. Put it all back together and it still have the same problem.
So now, I think the buzz is coming from the inverter itself. I can feel the negative battery cable Buzz at the same frequency that I'm hearing the sound I think it's getting transmitted from the inverter.
Still have the issue with them when I take off shore power and going inverter the batteries drop voltage very quickly.
I also had one technician tell me to not install AGM batteries. Which I am planning on doing when the time comes. Thoughts on that?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
....and then a GFCI breaker decided to die. What the...? $50 and at least that is fixed.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I also had one technician tell me to not install AGM batteries. Which I am planning on doing when the time comes. Thoughts on that?
Got rid of our AGM's last year. Replaced them with 4 - 12V wet cells from AutoZone. Installed a watering system on them and water every month. Solar keeps them fresh when in storage. We have not had any issues and we are still getting long run times when boondocking. The lower cost of the battery pays for the watering system and more.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Had to buy a true rms voltage tester. Determined I only had 96 volts coming out of the inverter when inverting.
Remanufactered Magnum pure sine inverter installed seems to have solved the issues.
Batteries tested well all three times I tested them.
Getting a replacement sea-level solenoid to replace the big boy and a battery monitoring kit to add to the Magnum to show SOC. The big boy is suspect and this new solenoid comes highly recommended
Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #11

FWIW I just saw the thread and wondered why you were doing all the battery testing when it was clearly an Inverter problem as long as it happened when you were running in Inverter mode. If you would have used your meter to check the battery voltage under load and it was maintaining 12 VDC or so then they were not the problem.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I just saw the thread and wondered why you were doing all the battery testing when it was clearly an Inverter problem as long as it happened when you were running in Inverter mode. If you would have used your meter to check the battery voltage under load and it was maintaining 12 VDC or so then they were not the problem.
I don't know about another thread,. This is the only one I have been working on.
Batteries because ALL of the technicians I talked to said it was either bad connections or batteries.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #13

Quote:
I don't know about another thread,. This is the only one I have been working on.

Batteries because ALL of the technicians I talked to said it was either bad connections or batteries.

Capt you have to hate electrical issues. To hard to track the difficult ones. Hope you get it resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Had to buy a true rms voltage tester. Determined I only had 96 volts coming out of the inverter when inverting.
Remanufactered Magnum pure sine inverter installed seems to have solved the issues.
Batteries tested well all three times I tested them.
Getting a replacement sea-level solenoid to replace the big boy and a battery monitoring kit to add to the Magnum to show SOC. The big boy is suspect and this new solenoid comes highly recommended
Glad you got it fixed. The additional items are worth installing.

Tags
electrical, inverter