Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

Electrical Wizards Come Forth

I know there are lots of smart guys hang out here. Here is a real puzzler for you.
2007 Diplomat 40PDQ
Been hooked up to 50 amp for a month and no problems. All of a sudden the one a/c that was running suddenly quit and there was a smell of chlorine. That is real strange part of this story.
Nothing on 110 now works. Tried the gen too and same thing. EMS does not light up showing any power. Batt are charging and everything is working on inverter as usual. In fact the only thing not working is both ac's, splendide and most likely electric hot water. All breakers have been reset including the gen and inverter. Micro wave works but off the inverter only.
The real puzzling thing is what does the chlorine smell have to do with any of this?
I am leaning toward the inverter even though the batts are still charging.
I have had park breakers go bad when only one ac would work. But they would work off the gen. I have had the inverter go bad but only quit the charging part. I have had a transfer switch go bad but would work off of either shore or gen depending on which part failed but this has me really confused.

HELP!!! I am in no immediate trouble since I have been here for 35 straight 12 hour days working insurance adjusting for a big hail storm but need to get this fixed before hitting the road someday. Also, ac is a nice thing to have on a hot day. lol
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd imagine your inverter is supplied by power directly from the transfer switch and not through the 120v power panel. It sounds like a problem with the main breaker box. You could take the cover off that surrounds the breakers and look.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Perhaps the start or run capacitor in the AC blew up. They can expire with some unusual smells at times.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
It sound like the EMS may have lost power....It would control AC power to items like the A/Cs, Splendide, and electric hot water heater. In the base of the inverter there is usually one or two post type breakers. I have lost most of my AC when one of these breakers trip. The chlorine smell.....no clue what that may have been.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The items not working via the inverter probably morally do not work via the inverter, correct? As these are very high current draw items.

Neither the generator nor shore power are working, so unlikely the transfer switch as it likely be only one not working.

Items are working via the inverter, so where does AC power come to the circuit breaker box differently than the transfer switch?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

I may sound too simple, but easily overlooked. Have you checked all your GFCI outlets?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
YC1

Look at page 13 for a start.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf intellitec ems service manual.pdf (308.9 KB, 521 views)

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

I wouldnt rule out the transfer switch, Do your Ac's run thru the inverter? wouldnt think so, My shore power and Genny go to the transfer switch then to the main breaker box, then to a sub box from the Inverter, in other words you can still power outlets with no shore power or generator. Do you know how to use a volt meter? Heck it could be the main breaker coming into the main box, but that is after your Ems.
I would check power in and out of the transfer switch
Good luck and be carefull
Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

You can purchase a 110 tester at lowes or home depot for about fifteen dollars. When you hold it against a 110 wire it beeps if power is present start at the ac and work your way back until you find power at least it will give you a starting point.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Thanks for all the prompt replies and good ideas and suggestions but no cigar yet. I have also disconnected from shore and shut down all battereies with hopes something might "reset". No joy! Can't get through to Mangum until Monday. Last time I talked with them they were great with helping troubleshooting. For now, we are ok. Even have gas hot water. Can run an extension cord to Splendide if need be to get the wife happy. I just hope the inverter doesn't crap out too then we are dead in the water. Will let you know the final results.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
According to the Magnum MS 2000 manual, the shore power goes to your main panel first and then to your inverter followed with a sub-panel where there are CB's which control the power coming from your inverter.

Your rooftop A/C's require that your 5 button CCC be powered up. That is powered by 12 VDC. Is your 5 button CCC lit up?

Are you certain that the batteries are being charged? Are you certain that shore power is getting through your transfer switch into your main CB panel and then to your inverter/charger to charge the batteries?

Have you taken a DVOM and checked where you have 120 VAC power and where you don't in your main panel? Have you pulled the main panel cover and measured with your DVOM where you have power and where you don't?

Do you have the owners manual for your Magnum Inverter?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your transfer switch bit the dust. Is it the original IOTA unit? Remove the cover and make sure the buss strips aren't burned up.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Could the chlorine smell actually be battery acid in a desulfation mode? Possibly a bad battery overcharging and causing the smell? I guess you have checked all of your batteries and the water level?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #14

More good questions and ideas. Thanks. DR4 - yes the t/stat lights up and yes, i am certain the batteries are being charged. Yes, the transfer switch is the original Iota (or what ever). Seems to me if the transfer switch failed totally I would not be getting power to the charger. Right? One more thing I just noticed is a slight electrical burning smell in the closet near the mail breaker panel. The main 50 amp breaker seems to be fine since if I turn it off I lose everyting on the inverter. But, is it possible it only partially failed. I have had that happen on shore power and only lost half the stuff - like only one ac would run. I am about to hit the road for another long day but I think I will pick up a new main breaker and try that tonight. That would be too easy.

Tags
electrical