Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Elite RV Repair, Harrisburg, OR

We spent two days last week at Elite RV Repair in Harrisburg, OR. Elite is three ex-Monaco employees who have a vast amount of experience building and working on Beavers, Monacos Holiday Ramblers, and Safari motor homes. When they work on your coach, there is no fooling around. They are hustlers; very fast and study workers who know what they are doing.

They solved an electrical problem that has stumped three other experienced techs in less that 15 minutes.

One of the slides had 1 broken and 8 cracked rollers in the chain. All four on our slides needed adjustments which two other shops didn't want to do. They had it all done in a couple of hours, including the roller replacement.

One important thing I learned is that all Monaco slides were installed initially with the chassis at ride height. There can be as much as 3/4" difference in slide position depending on if the coach is at ride or leveled height. The sides are happiest when put out or retracted with the coach at ride height. In this position, there is no torque on the frame and the slides move with the least resistance.

I will definitely go back to Elite for future work of this type. These guys are GOOD!
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should post your thoughts on RV Service Reviews so others can find and read about your experiences

Dave
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great information.
Thanks
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

Highly Recommended!

Those guys are great.

When they worked for Monaco, Eric modified our Corian kitchen countertop to accommodate a different cooktop for us.

After Monaco, those were the guys that RV Glass Solutions called to R&R our dashboard so they could remove the driver's side window for defogging.

Last December they replaced our Norcold fridge with a residential fridge, replaced a failing slideout roller, and did some other work for us.

We have always been completely satisfied with their work.

If they did body and paint work, we would be in their lot right now rather than here at Camp Monaco!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We are ALSO VERY SATISFIED with ELITE. They, Erik at first at Monaco Harrisburg, and now all 3 of them at Elite. I could list the many items they fixed or installed, but will list two high lights. We traveled from Yuma to have DEAD Norcold replaced with a residential which they had ready and installed upon our arrival. We had them replace our old sharp MW/Conv with a GE Advantium and asked that they install outside vent at the same time. They drilled some pilot holes and hit structural steel supports, on our 06 Windsor, and said "it can't be done cause of that". I replied as we walked out the door on some errands "ok, if it CAN"T be then ok". When we returned Marty had made two holes and we had an outside vent around the steel and it works great.
We have an appointment tomorrow 14 Mar 2016 with a punch list for them to work on for us some more.
Dave Ostrander
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We'll be making our 4th stop to see the folks at Elite in May while on our way to Alaska this summer. Their work is great and fast. Only problem is their visitor over night parking is within 50' of the Seattle - Portland main railroad tracks and there's a train at least every 20 minutes day and night.

Things break on motorhomes and these guys sure know their way around Monacos and Beavers and how to fix them.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

I agree, those guys are good. We had some work done on all four of slides last year. From broken rollers in the hydraulic chain mechanism, torn outer seal, broken gears in the electric slide, and a leaky solenoid, servicing the a/c's, and fixing the sleeving on the aqua hot exhaust, they got it all done. They also updated and repaired a leaky flexible kitchen drain. One of the main large slides had a roller issue and it turned out that the problem was actually that the slide had not been properly bolted to the slide framework at the factory and settled. Past adjustments had been made over time to the floor roller to raise it up putting excessive pressure on the roller. Eventually the roller broke. It took a bit of investigation since they had never seen that, but by raising the slide slightly and rebolting it to the frame seems to have solved that issue. That's why I caution people that simply adjusting the rollers may not solve the root problem. We wouldn't hesitate to go back for any repair.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #8

Yup. Left there in January much happier than we arrived.

The "Favourite Service Centers" sticky at the top of this forum has become polluted with a lot of other stuff, so posting there about a good service experience is not that useful anymore.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

this may not be the right place to post but here it is. I have a 2013 HR endeavor (same thing as a 2013 Diplomat). have a broken "ski" on the large flat floor slide and called the Coburg Monaco service shop, they knew right away what the problem was and suggested calling Elite for the fix. Sure enough Elite knew what the problem was and said it is a design flaw. they have a $500 retrofit solution which eliminates the cheap thin plastic ski's with stainless steel. I called Monaco back to ask for some help with the cost they declined stating it was not a design error and that every Monaco made coach had some variation of design for those sliderooms. so I asked if they had replacement cheap plastic ski's, response was "no, when these break we recommend the customer have Elite install the retrofit". what a joke - Monaco knows they have a design issue but will not take any responsibility for the problem. Has anyone else had this problem with the flat floor slideroom? Is the retrofit a long lasting fix? thanks.
ctundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #10

this may not be the right place to post but here it is. I have a 2013 HR endeavor (same thing as a 2013 Diplomat). have a broken "ski" on the large flat floor slide and called the Coburg Monaco service shop, they knew right away what the problem was and suggested calling Elite for the fix. Sure enough they knew what the problem was and said it is a design flaw. they have a $500 retrofit solution which eliminates the cheap thin plastic ski's with stainless steel. I called Monaco back to ask for some help with the cost they declined stating it was not a design error and that every Monaco made coach had some variation of design for those sliderooms. so I asked if they had replacement cheap plastic ski's, response was "no, when these break we recommend the customer have Elite install the retrofit". what a joke - Monaco knows they have a design issue but will not take any responsibility for the problem. Has anyone else had this problem with the flat floor slideroom? thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #11

We had the s/s ski's installed on our unit last year while at Elite. I'm not sure if your slide being newer is constructed the same as ours but it seems there are similarities. Our slideout has a two hard nylon type pads with a tapered edge, affixed to the slide opening, one at each end. When the slide is retracted the slide floor rides up over the tapered edge and then slides along the block. There are no separate plastic ski's on the slideout bottom. We began noticing white shavings on the carpet at each end of the slide that were coming from the nylon pad or the slide bottom. Sometimes some debris gets between the pad and the floor and sometimes a snail or screw gets exposed or the pad gets worn out. We had the stainless ski's installed on the slide bottom to prevent any further gouging. I know some have made and installed their own version but all I can say is the ones installed by Elite are pretty thick and well secured and I think they will outlast the unit.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #12

plastic ski's

thanks for the response. my unit has plastic ski's on the underside of the slideout, front and rear. my guess is someone at Monaco must of thought the plastic ski's would provide protection from wear. the nylon blocks on the floor appear to be in good shape but the protective plastic ski's have both shattered. almost couldn't get the slide back in due to binding of the broken material. Monaco obviously has been aware of this problem for years and also know of the Elite S/S ski retrofit - why not incorporate this into the OEM build!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #13

We have plastic "ski's" that we got from Elite when we were there but they are designed to lay on the inside flooring at the slide corners to keep from marking the tile/ carpet when you retract the slide. When you extend the slide you pick them up and store them. They are about 6 in X 30 in. I don't know if Monaco is using something similar on the slide bottoms now or if your not the original owner, maybe they were added. I think those could be added for about $30 if you wanted but I don't think they would last in that application. The one time correct fix would be the SS versions. If they were used by Monaco as part of the slide bottom I would agree with you, poor choice of material. Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #14

I'm the original owner. The plastic ski's are attached to the underside of the silideout. Guess their purpose is to protect the bottom of the silideout and at the sametime the tile floor.to protect the tile when retracting we use pieces of carpet.

Tags
repair