Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Endeavor entry steps...

Hello everyone,
I have a question about my entry steps on my 2008 Endeavor that I hope someone can help me with. When the steps are in the closed position, there is a gap between the coach and the top step that looks odd to me. There seems to be too much of a gap like the steps are not closing and tucking up all the way into the space that they should occupy.
My question is, is there a way to adjust the steps so that when they are up (closed), they tuck up to the coach closer? I don't know what brand of steps that they are.
I hope this makes sense.... I would post a picture but I'm not quite sure how to do that on this site yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas regarding adjusting these steps.
Brian.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #2

Have you checked to make sure there is nothing that could be stopping them short of full closure? Wash and lube them also could help if road salt and residue could cause them to not close due to increased load on motor. Sorry I can't be of more help than this. Luckily I have not had to mess with mine (knock on wood), so I am not sure how they work.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Imperial and my steps also look like they should retract a little more just as you have stated. I have looked for a ajustment but I don't see any way to make them fit any better. All the brackets look like they are fully retracted and in place where they belong.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

entry steps

If you give them a little help (pushing them lightly with your toe) do they go in all the way. My steps act up when their cold. After going in and out a few times they work like they should. If your in a warm climate, and cold is not a factor. Make sure their is no gunk on the mechanism, and then hit them with a spray lube. After their lubed ,run them in and out several time. giving them a little help if needed.
wolf1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the replays everybody.
I have cleaned them up and lubed all of the moving parts with silicone spray lube. It has bee pretty wet and cold so I haven't crawled under there to really look at them. I'll do that when I can.
I may look into replacing them at some point because they feel unstable and starting to rust in places... I've owned several rv of all kinds over the last twenty years but we just recently purchased this rig and I've never had steps that feel unstable. They may just be wore out.
Like I said, I'll look em over better and try to save them if I can... Don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. ( just bought six new tires, $$$$$$)

Thanks again, Brian.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are a couple of adjustments that can be made. One is on the link that connects the steps to the gear and the other is is on the round shaft that connect to arms that move steps. If you send me a PM I will send you a copy of the directions for troubleshooting the steps.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

Thanks ITDave... I did find some adjustment directions in the internet. I took a closer look at the steps and discovered that the bottom step is bent and I think that is preventing them from retracting completely. They also feet loose and unstable.... I'll probably end up having to replace them. Maybe the previous owners were big people and the steps got a workout...
Thanks for all the help. Brian.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
At one time I left the steps out and hit a curb so they got bent. If you are handy and are ok with crawling under the steps you should be able to do the repairs yourself. I got under mine whit them closed and the fuse removed so they could not move and removed the steps. Removal is simple unplug the cable are remove 4 bolts that hold the step assembly to the coach. Once they were out I disassembled them and straighten the bent arms cleaned everything up and repainted them. It was not hard I had a friend with a large vice, anvil and hammer so we could get everything straight.
If you are not comfortable straightening thing I would think a good metal shop would be able to fixing things. This would be a lot cheaper than having someone come out and replace the steps.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote