Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Energy Management System?

Does my energy management system have any type of surge protection (see below)? If not, then I'm looking at a Progressive built-in 50 amp unit with remote. I want this unit because it has a by-pass in case I want to chance it (open ground). Do I need it and is it the preferred unit? Thanks for any advice!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
JDT

Your EMS does not have any surge protection, at least mine doesn't. I am open to being corrected, but I think it's purpose is to manage the load you are using so you don't blow circuit breakers. I know when we only had 30 amp on a trip this summer it would turn things off, like the a/c or the dryer cycle on the washer, to let us use the microwave. Never has been an issue with 50 amp.

I have had the Progressive built in for about 5 years now and have never had it block the power to the coach because it detected a problem. Even though I've never needed it I am glad I have it because it just takes once.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Wannabe,The EMS system does not in its self protect against power surges. From your post it worked as designed. The EMS will select items like the AC units to be shut down so other items can be used.
There is a sizable difference in the amount of power available between a 50 Amp service and a 30 Amp service.
The surge protection system on my unit was factory installed and monitors the power input right at the input to the main power panel. You should have paperwork that was supplied with your coach, it should have some information regarding surge protection.
Reading all the paper work that comes with the newer coaches is worse then watching grass grow to be sure,but a necessary process in order to understand all the different systems built into your coach.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Does my energy management system have any type of surge protection (see below)? If not, then I'm looking at a Progressive built-in 50 amp unit with remote. I want this unit because it has a by-pass in case I want to chance it (open ground). Do I need it and is it the preferred unit? Thanks for any advice!
One of the first things we did was install the Progressive built in and consider it the best choice. You may never need it but if you do you will be glad it was there.

I see you are from lower Alabama. Rex lives in Foley and is a gold mine of information.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You need the Progressive system as there is presently no protection. This unit does several things beyond surge protection. It "shuts down" park power that is to high or low, detects faulty "pole" wiring, etc.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding EMS systems, you need to be specific as to the brand and type because there are many different ones made for RV's.

I am ASSUMING that you are speaking of the commonly used Intellitec EMS system which is an option that can be added in some RV's. That specific EMS system is designed for use by a 50 amp coach when hooked to shore power that is LESS than 50 amps, it will monitor and shed devices inside your coach making sure that you don't use over the maximum number of amps available.

There is another EMS system built by Progressive Industries that serves a completely different purpose. This one is, by far, more important to have as it will save you thousands of dollars in possible electrical damage.

Here is a good explanation of it purpose and use.

120 Volt Electrical Protection: Part I - Progressive Industries EMS - iRV2 Forums

Also, the BYPASS switch is only used when one of the internal EMS PC boards may have a defective circuit which prevents the contactor from closing allowing power to your coach. It should NOT be used unless the pedestal had previously been checked for GOOD power. It will allow your coach to have power until the new PC board has been replaced with a good one.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote