Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Engine Battery not charging on shore power

I replaced my solar charge controller with a victron mppt 100/30.

As far as I know the factory system charged the engine battery at the same time as the house batteries.

Now the Engine battery only seems to be charging when the engine is running...where to start looking?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Does the new solar controller have the ability to charge the chassis battery. Did it have 2 outputs?

My solar charges both the house and chassis battery. Both have a separate fuse in the passenger side rear run bay which has the battery disconnect switches, which is marked on the schematic attached to the lift door. I believe the chassis battery is a 5 amp fuse.

It that doesn't fix it we need more information. Do you have a bidirectional relay similar to this
https://www.prvparts.com/product-p/42262.htm

Do you have a battery maintainer like this
https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monac...5-p/le-415.htm
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

Look for a bad isolator solenoid. That's the device that connects the house to the chassis battery.

It may have nothing to do with the solar.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Check the isolator
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Does the new solar controller have the ability to charge the chassis battery. Did it have 2 outputs?

My solar charges both the house and chassis battery. Both have a separate fuse in the passenger side rear run bay which has the battery disconnect switches, which is marked on the schematic attached to the lift door. I believe the chassis battery is a 5 amp fuse.

It that doesn't fix it we need more information. Do you have a bidirectional relay similar to this
https://www.prvparts.com/product-p/42262.htm

Do you have a battery maintainer like this
https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monac...5-p/le-415.htm

I due have the battery maintainer...and I need to check the fuse again, I blew a 10 amp fuse and put in a 15 amp, but I haven't checked to see if I blew it too. What size fuse do you have on yours charge line for the engine battery?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I due have the battery maintainer...and I need to check the fuse again, I blew a 10 amp fuse and put in a 15 amp, but I haven't checked to see if I blew it too. What size fuse do you have on yours charge line for the engine battery?
The fuse has to be sized according to the wire its protecting.

If you increase the fuse size, above what the wiring can handle, you just created a fire hazard.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The fuse has to be sized according to the wire its protecting.

If you increase the fuse size, above what the wiring can handle, you just created a fire hazard.
Update the green light on the battery isolator is out (LE-415)
The 15 amp blew...this fuze is about four inches from the +battery post on about a 12 gage wire. So I have to figure out where it must be grounding out.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would start with the new controller since that is what started the problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Update: I reset the chassis disconnect and the LE-415 came on. It seems to be charging. I have a ten amp fuze in the wire running with the positive post. I will check it again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for everyone's help as always.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Update: I reset the chassis disconnect and the LE-415 came on. It seems to be charging. I have a ten amp fuze in the wire running with the positive post. I will check it again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for everyone's help as always.
The reset of the chassis disconnect seems to have done the job. Everything is charging as it should. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tags
battery, charging, engine, power, shore power