Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
'Engine Brake Level 1 & 2' wires?

While waiting for my new park-brake switch to come in, I swapped the locations of the EXHAUST BRAKE and MIRROR HEAT switches. The BRAKE switch was much farther away and a lot more inconvenient to reach while driving.
In the process, I came across a couple wires, one labeled BRAKE LEVEL 1 going to the Exhaust Brake switch, and the other labeled BRAKE LEVEL 2 which was just wire-tied to the big bundle in the console.
Looking them up in my diagrams (27000193, 'ENGINE BRAKE'), I see that Monaco envisioned them going to a 2-position switch. I'm guessing here, but it seems that if I wired in a switch I'd then have 2 levels of engine-braking.

Does anyone have any insight about these wires, or made this mod?

On edit: I have a VGT exhaust brake rather than a PAC brake, if that makes any difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Camelot came with an exhaust brake. Why they made the harness to be able to control an engine brake is anyone’s guess.

While touring the Monaco factory in 2008 they said the wiring harness is made for the coach it is going on. Yeah, right! For example, my 2 axle coach has a tag axle relay mounted in the front run bay with wires attached. And, that is just one of the many examples.

Rusty, while you are moving switches around, swap the pedal adjustment switch with the battery boost switch. You will need to build wiring extension(s). Why would Monaco think that trying to reach you left arm over the top of the steering wheel while turning the key down below was a good idea? Plus, it makes more sense to have the pedal adjustment switch above the pedals, no way over on the left console.

I’m just trying to help you stay busy!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here’s another one for you. When you release the parking brake the air is dumped in the driver’s console, making a racket. Attach a rubber fuel line to the exhaust port on the switch and snake it forward to where all the wires feed through the foam. Create a hole in the foam and exit to the outside. You will have to make a bend as it leaves the coach floor to miss the front run bay. Even if it dumped in the front run bay, it would be a lot nicer than all the noise inside the coach.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Without a “Jake Brake”...engine compression brake you will not have 2 settings.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
And one more for you. I switched my step well cover to operate with the key off.

Invariably I would get to campground check in area, or fuel stop, and turn the key off. It’s a natural thing to do. But, I have to retract the step well cover to get out. DUH! Turn the key on, retract the cover, and exit.

Some folks can remember to retract the cover before turning off the coach. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those people, hence the modification.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Uhhh, keeping me busy isn't a problem. We recently bought a 'fixer-upper' house in the Keys (I must be a sucker for pain), so I now have that to contend with besides my ever-lasting rv-project.

Oh well, wishful thinking on the 2-stage exhaust brake.

I got a similar wiring story when we toured the factory (I think in '06). We used to get an ABS warning whenever the road was wet. When I took it in, the tech crawled underneath and cut the Tag-Axle ABS wire because he said it would short-out when wet, and that all harnesses were made the same for economy.

Funny you mention those switches, I was just looking at them and wondering if they'd be worth it to re-wire. In fact, I never did like the layout of the entire left-side console - plus no cup-holder anywhere! But, since it's the peak of hurricane season, I'll put that off for now and focus on being ready to evacuate if/when necessary. (I wasn't ready to roll 2 years ago and we lost our Endeavor to Irma).

Good tip! With that exhaust port out of the console, it definitely is a lot louder. Easy mod, thanks.

NAPA just called and my pressure-switch is in, so I can finish that up. Thanks again for the help!!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Harry, they knew you like to modify things, and thought you might add a tag axle somewhere down the road !
Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jeez, stop with all the help, will ya!!

Actually, that step-switch was one of the first things I modified way back when I first got in contact with you .

And you're right, some people can remember to do stuff like that in the right order, but...
Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
NO, Ben! Don't say that to him!!
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Ben, one year Bill Willard and I converted a rear radiator to a side radiator in QZ. Or, at least that was the story Bill started on a thread many years ago. Now, that was a funny thread. We had folks wanting us to do theirs, and others wanting to know what it entails.

If you read it on the internet, it must be true.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh I remember !

Bill had me scratching my head that day !!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
https://uncrate.com/terra-wind-amphibious-rv/

If you guys got busy and built one like this, I'd buy it and then I could get rid of this new 'albatross' house DW talked me into buying. Just sayin' ...
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
And one more for you. I switched my step well cover to operate with the key off.

Invariably I would get to campground check in area, or fuel stop, and turn the key off. It’s a natural thing to do. But, I have to retract the step well cover to get out. DUH! Turn the key on, retract the cover, and exit.

Some folks can remember to retract the cover before turning off the coach. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those people, hence the modification.
Similarly, I am adding a Room Slide-out interlock switch. I don't like the current setup where the ignition has to be off to move the slide outs. When I'm packing up to leave campsite I need to start the engine to bring up air pressure and go into travel mode, then shut down engine to bring the slides in, then restart engine to leave.

And sometimes we accidentally bump the bedroom slideout switch while feeling around for the light switch (the switches are adjacent). That can be disturbing to someone already in bed.

So I added a rocker switch on the left side console, that when On, will allow Slide-out to move regardless of ignition switch position and when Off will prevent slide out movement. I just need to run the wires to the Slide -out relay in the front electric bay to complete the job.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Another excellent idea!

Tags
brake, engine