Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Engine cuts off

I recently purchased a 2001 Dynasty with the following problem;
While driving down the road, the engine will arbitrarily shut down, warning lights come on, on then resumes normal operation. Occasionally this will happen at low speeds when traveling through a town but depressing the accelerator has no effect. I must quickly shift into neutral, shut down and restart the engine. has anyone encountered this?
Dthomas0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What chassis is it?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Have you changed the fuel filters?
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the ignition solenoid. Yours is probably in your front run bay near the top. Change it out with a continuous duty 12v relay and see if that fixes it. Other possible causes include ignition switch and various connectors. Fuel filter issues usually start with a "STOP ENGINE" warning flashing on hills or hard acceleration.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have had this same problem for the 4 years we have owned our 2003 Dynasty, with one exception. I do not have to shut down to restart, it just restarts by itself.

In our case, all gauges on the dash go out and the engine dies, within 1-3 seconds the dash comes back alive, a warning light comes on and the engine restarts by itself.

I have the VMSPC system and while it does have an error it has been of no help finding the problem. The shutdown has happened as often as 3 times a year and as little as once in a year. I have cleaned all high amp grounds, all positive battery connections, every ground behind the dash, all terminals behind the dash, replaced the ignition switch and replaced a couple of relays in the front run bay. Each time I have worked on it I think I have it fixed but then at some point in the future it does it again! It has not happened in about 6 months and we have put about 10,000 miles on the coach in the last 8-9 months.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post
Have you changed the fuel filters?
The problem is not fuel filters... it is electrical as all instrument lights and gauges go dead.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #7

Thanks

I have the notes from the previous owner cummins check every connection, the throttle position sensors were replaced, at new line run for them, the ecm rebooted.
The next step is to replace the ecm.
I hoping to avoid this.
Dthomas0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthomas0621 View Post
The next step is to replace the ecm.
I hoping to avoid this.
IMHO it is not the ECM, but a connection problem, most likely a ground that is having an issue.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

I was having this problem on my 2001 Diplomat right after I bought it. I drove it to a Cummins dealer and had the ECM read for stored faults & found none. They changed all the fluids & filters & the problem continued. One time coming back from a camp ground it was doing it a lot and my wife happened to see the check trans light flash. The next day I drove it to a Allison transmission center and they read the TCM and it was full of power interruptions. They finally found a 7.5 amp fuse holder that was corroded and had been so hot they could not get the fuse pulled out. They put a temp fuse holder with a fuse and it fixed the problem. I went to a boat dealer and bought a water resistant fuse holder after I got home. This fuse was located in my battery compartment and the tech said it fed the TCM memory and was hot all the time. I had the engine running one day and pulled this fuse and it died like you had shut the key off. I also had the filters and fluid changed in the trans. It is hard to believe how big these filters are. The fluid looked like it had never been used. Good luck, George 2001 Diplomat
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Speaking of warning lights. I just bought a 2004 executive and on the way home warning would come on then switch to stop. When either light was on the volt meter would drop to 12. The aladen always showed 13.6 on coach and chassis battery. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dan
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Speaking of warning lights. I just bought a 2004 executive and on the way home warning would come on then switch to stop. When either light was on the volt meter would drop to 12. The aladen always showed 13.6 on coach and chassis battery. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dan

If your warning light said "STOP", I hope you did!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
In our case, all gauges on the dash go out and the engine dies, within 1-3 seconds the dash comes back alive, a warning light comes on and the engine restarts by itself.
We're starting our 9th year in this coach, and I've had similar events happen 3 or 4 times, so mine only happens every few years. It's like the ignition switch has been turned off for a second and then back on. If I have the cruise control on at the time, it cancels.

I figure it's a loose connection somewhere, but it's so intermittent that I'm sure it will be next to impossible to track down.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #13

I had a very similar "shut down" problem. It turned out to be a resettable circuit breaker in the engine bay. The breaker wouldn't pop out all the way, so I never had to push the reset button. I found it by accidently bumping the bad one during one of its shut down episodes on the side of the road. I replaced all 3 and it has been great for 2 years.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #14

My stop light was on and off for 250 miles. The aladen showed good temp oil pressure etc so I kept going. I took it to cummins and the only code was a coolant sensor which they replaced along with oil and coolant flush. No problem for 100 miles then stop on and off after 30 miles. My observation is from the 250 miles is when I start up the coach dash voltage reads 13 volts. As I drive dash voltage slips to 12.5 and continues slowly lower. When it gets close to 12 volts the stop light comes on. I pulled off the road, stop light went out, drove another 20 miles before stop came back on. If I turn on the lights the voltage will go down to 10 ish. All the time the aladen and my volt meter at the batteries agree at about 13.5. Can the stop light be related to the voltage from the dash volt meter that appears to be wrong?
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine