RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Engine won't turn over with the key

1998 Monaco Dip. C/275 /6 speed
It worked fine until i changed the batteries now it won't turn over with the key, but it will start with the aug. start,dash lights all work horns and buzzers all work, fuzzes all look ok ,stater isn't that old looks to have been install not to long ago. any ideas would be great Thanks in advance.

rtr6646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Hi rtr6646; Are you referring to the aux. start switch back toward the engine compartment? That area has 2 switches. One is labeled/ start/ front/rear. The other labeled just start. I have seen others here mention when sometimes they have bumped that switch to rear start only. Can't figure out why you can't start with the ing. key in the dash. Are we on the same page? If so you might want to make sure the switch is in the FRONT position for start. Also the switch might need to be toggled a number of times to, maybe some corrosion on the switch contacts! All I can come up with at this time. Hope this info helps get you going! Good luck! I am just referring to the above as this is how the switches are on my 01 Windsor.

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #3

Engine won't start

my 98 Dip only has the key and the aux start on the dash Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
"It worked fine until i changed the batteries now it won't turn over with the key"

Ok, tell me about this. What did you do to the batteries and what batteries are we talking about. Did you replace the chassis batteries? If so, did you put a starting battery or did you put in a deep cycle battery?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Engine wont start

Thanks for the reply. I have changed them all, but i did use deep cycle for the chassie 31 sires
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

Engine won't start

It starts with coach batteries
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr6646 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have changed them all, but i did use deep cycle for the chassie 31 sires
And there's your problem. There are two basic designs for automotive batteries; starting and deep cycle. Starting batteries deliver a grundle of power for short periods, like an engine start. But they hate to be run down. Deep cycle batteries are the opposite; they are designed to deliver constant power of lower amperage for a long time and they don't mind being run down. You neeeeed starting batteries on your chassis, and want deep cycle for your house. For the chassis, it's not an option.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr6646 View Post
It starts with coach batteries
Not to nit pick, but I doubt it starts with coach batteries, or house batteries as I like to call them, mox nix. It might start when you connect the house and chassis with the boost switch, but it is not wired to start on the house batteries alone unless someone got real drunk and started playing with the wiring. And then you got even bigger problems, drinking and powered circuits don't mix well. Ask my buddy, Flash 'bout that.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #9

Engine Won't turn over with the key

Sounds like you have just changed all the batteries.

Is there any chance that the positive wire for the transmission was erroneously connected to the coach batteries rather than the chassis battery?

A clue to this would be that when you turn on the key, the transmission shifter does not light up. The interlock between the engine ECM and the Allison TCM prevents the engine from starting.

If you misplaced the wire, pressing the Aux switch would possibly connect the two allowing the engine to start.

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you changed the chassis batteries did you shut off the main battery switch and forget to turn it back on?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #11

You can use deep cycle batteries to start your engine. They may have a bit less cranking amps then full fledged starting batteries, but that only comes in play in winter.

The proof that deep cycle batteries will start the engine is that you are doing just that, when you hold the AUX Start switch on the dash.

Since you have to do that, that means that the start batteries are not wired up correctly or a wire that belongs on them is left off.

May be a picture of the cabling on here will help ID the problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can use deep cycle batteries to start your engine. They may have a bit less cranking amps then full fledged starting batteries, but that only comes in play in winter.

The proof that deep cycle batteries will start the engine is that you are doing just that, when you hold the AUX Start switch on the dash.
Of course, you're exactly right. That is why motorhomes are delivered with deep cycle batteries in the chassis position. Oh wait....the guys who design and build these things install starting batteries in the chassis position, AND NEVER deep cycle batteries. But I guess these engineers are stupid. Bottom line, starting batteries in the chassis position and deep cycle in the house position is best. Less than best is you choice, but don't complain about the outcome.

Using the boost switch for proof is ridiculous -- the boost switch COMBINES two sets of batteries into one, it does not substitute one for the other. Many have found that if the chassis batteries are flat dead, the boost switch will not start the main engine, but will sometimes start the genset.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Of course, you're exactly right. That is why motorhomes are delivered with deep cycle batteries in the chassis position. Oh wait....the guys who design and build these things install starting batteries in the chassis position, AND NEVER deep cycle batteries. But I guess these engineers are stupid. Bottom line, starting batteries in the chassis position and deep cycle in the house position is best. Less than best is you choice, but don't complain about the outcome.

Using the boost switch for proof is ridiculous -- the boost switch COMBINES two sets of batteries into one, it does not substitute one for the other. Many have found that if the chassis batteries are flat dead, the boost switch will not start the main engine, but will sometimes start the genset.
#1, Start batteries have more CCA then deep cycle, as I mentioned.
#2, they pack that CCA in a smaller package then deep cycle batteries. A plus when finding a place for them.
#3, They are cheaper then equilivent CCA, deep cycle batteries. Another plus for the manufactures.

In this case, the OP has stated he has NO cranking from the start batteries. Pressing the boost switch is not supplementing them, they become the start batteries.

If you are suggesting that, everything else staying the same, swapping in start batteries, where he has deep cycle batteries will fix his issue, that's not the answer.

The OP stated he installed GP31 batteries. I just picked up 2, GP 31 " deep cycle " batteries and they list CCAs. My research shows that's the case with most of the GP31 deep cycle batteries out there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
"If you are suggesting that, everything else staying the same, swapping in start batteries, where he has deep cycle batteries will fix his issue, that's not the answer."

No disrespect intended, but I think it IS the answer. Would you put a deep cell battery in your car or truck as a starter battery, why would you use it on a motorhome chassis? My motorhome has two big 12vdc batteries to start its Cat C7, it needs a lot of power to wake up that sleeping Cat.

Wikipedia: "A deep-cycle battery is a lead-acid battery designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity. In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver short, high-current bursts for cranking the engine, thus frequently discharging only a small part of their capacity. While a deep-cycle battery can be used as a starting battery, the lower "cranking current" implies that an oversized battery may be required."

Tags
engine