Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #15

The two latch pins on the door frame are meant to float. When they are not lubricated they become stiff and will not float with coach as its level changes. Once you are able to gain access be sure to lubricate the pins--make sure you can move them up and down by hand. We learned this the hard way--had to break a window, fortunately it was a slide window and our daughter was able to fit through. She was able to push the door open while we pulled on the exterior side. I lubricate (excessively) those pins with the frequency of watering the batteries!
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJo View Post
The two latch pins on the door frame are meant to float. When they are not lubricated they become stiff and will not float with coach as its level changes. Once you are able to gain access be sure to lubricate the pins--make sure you can move them up and down by hand. We learned this the hard way--had to break a window, fortunately it was a slide window and our daughter was able to fit through. She was able to push the door open while we pulled on the exterior side. I lubricate (excessively) those pins with the frequency of watering the batteries!

Ray jay, isn't it the latches in the door, the pins are adjustable, but get locked down once adjusted correctly. I had mine cleaned and adjust at Quartzite this year if I'm remembering right?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Striker Pins should be adjusted for in and out fit to match the latch assemblies and be able to float up and down to self adjust to handle the twist in the body so the door will not bind.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

Drifter has it correct; those pins have to self adjust or float as needed. If they get stiff you will likely be locked out.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #19

And the original poster was never heard from again...
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Striker Pins should be adjusted for in and out fit to match the latch assemblies and be able to float up and down to self adjust to handle the twist in the body so the door will not bind.

So I'm clear Mike, the pins float up and down or the latch assemblers in the door, the ones you had me loosen up with oil and penetrations fluid? I'm confused sorry. Want to make sure I reporting correctly.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #21

How do the pins (I think you mean the upper and lower that are in the door frame) stay in the proper "tightness" ? Will they not loosen a bit as the door is closed and then opened over time?
Thank you for taking your time to answer! Your time and efforts are appreciated.
leeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
The latch in the door does not move. The door frame pins should move up & down. They are also adjustable in & out to adjust the door closure tightness.
Not sure if this answers your question.
Curt
Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
The latch in the door does not move. The door frame pins should move up & down. They are also adjustable in & out to adjust the door closure tightness.

Not sure if this answers your question.

Curt

Thx Curt, I think Mine stated that also, I just didn't remember! [emoji3]
Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Old 05-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #25

Many Insurance companies if you have towing and labor coverage or an A-154 endorsement will cover at no cost the expense of a locksmith, worth making the call to your insurance company. Also if you a service contract they might cover the cost.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #26

Good luck with a locksmith. Been there done that. When those pins stiffen a locksmith will not be helpful. Likely entry is via a window. Monaco coaches with the double pins are probably the most secure door you will find in an RV.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
Occasionally our screen door will stick. To exit the coach, we need to open both the exterior door and screen door handles. It gets worse or better depending on the forces on the coach chassis. Entering the coach, the screen door can stick causing us to use more force to get it open. Could your screen door be the root cause? Good luck.

I have seen at least a couple of times where posters have had this problem. When my door stuck closed, I discovered that it was the screen door was the problem. The screen door is normally latched to the main door so that it opens with the main door. When latched to the main door, the screen door latch to the door frame is retracted, allowing the screen door to open. The point of this is to allow the main door to be open and have the screen door latched closed for ventilation. On mine, the connection between the screen and the main door had shifted, not retracting enough to clear the door frame. Simply adjusting it fixed the problem. That latch is plastic, so it will probably snap off if you are desperate to get in. It's a lot easier to repair than a broken window.

Dick L 04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door