Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Entry Door Adjustment

My 2001 entry door. Top latches fine but the bottom doesn't unless I push it gently from the outside. So I was looking at the jam side (the 5/8 studs) and I was going to try and adjust the bottom one so I looked at the top one to compare the 2 and the top one was loose. By loose I mean I could move it up and down about a 1/4 of a inch and it looks like it is sticking out a 1/16 or so.

Before I mess with anything I thought I better ask here first and get your input. How do I tighten up the top one? I looked and it looks like I can take the inside handle off and remove the trim and MAYBE get to the inside of the top bolt.

Thanks Lee
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Lee,

Are talking about latch in the door or the posts?

I have had issues with the lower half of my door not latching all the way. I found the post would work loose. I have aligned and tightened it several times. Still works loose over time. I do not want to take apart because I do not know if it a captive nut behind it.

I wouldn't like the job of disassembling the door to get to the latch. It was hard enough to get to the lock mechanism to lube it.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Lee,

My understanding is that when properly adjusted, the posts will be able to be moved as you describe. That is supposed to allow for some flexing in the door frame while going down the road and not cause the door to bind in the frame.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Adjusting entrance door

The two striker bolts which protrude from the door frame should be tight. Once they are tight you should be able to grab either striker bolt and with some effort, the bolts, along with the back plate, should move up and down. If the bolts are too tight they will not 'float' and won't properly adjust and align with the door when closed.

Whenever my door doesn't close properly one or both of the bolts has come loose. I tighten them down, back off a quarter turn then make sure they move up and down. This has always worked for me.

It's also possible your handle and lock needs adjusting.

Latch Adjustments - Adjusting the Entry Door Latch:

Determine which bolt needs adjustment.
Slowly close the entry door, observing the latch and strike bolt alignment.
DO NOT attempt to latch if the alignment is off.
If the alignment is correct, allow the latch to catch in the first (primary) position only.

The latch should move to the second position with only slight pressure applied
to the entry door. Upper and lower latches should be evenly timed.
Press on the entry door to check for further movement.

The entry handle should operate with little effort to open the entry door.
Excess pressure indicates the bolts are set too far back.

With a box wrench or socket, loosen the movable strike bolt. Make all adjustments in small increments. Tighten the bolt firmly after making adjustments. The bolts should have slight up and down movement for vibration control in travel.

Test the operation of the dead bolt lock to ensure proper functions.

Apply silicone weekly to the entry door rubber gaskets to prevent squeaking
while the motorhome is in use.

Use a 1" sponge paint brush, sprayed with silicone for easy application.

CAUTION
When operating the entry door, ensure the dead bolt latch is fully unlocked
prior to closing.

Failure to do so can result in damage to the dead bolt and/or entry door.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Adjusting entrance door

The two striker bolts which protrude from the door frame should be tight. Once they are tight you should be able to grab either striker bolt and with some effort, the bolts, along with the back plate, should move up and down. If the bolts are too tight they will not 'float' and won't properly adjust and align with the door when closed.

Whenever my door doesn't close properly one or both of the bolts has come loose. I tighten them down, back off a quarter turn then make sure they move up and down. This has always worked for me.

It's also possible your handle and lock needs adjusting.

Latch Adjustments - Adjusting the Entry Door Latch:

Determine which bolt needs adjustment.
Slowly close the entry door, observing the latch and strike bolt alignment.
DO NOT attempt to latch if the alignment is off.
If the alignment is correct, allow the latch to catch in the first (primary) position only.

The latch should move to the second position with only slight pressure applied
to the entry door. Upper and lower latches should be evenly timed.
Press on the entry door to check for further movement.

The entry handle should operate with little effort to open the entry door.
Excess pressure indicates the bolts are set too far back.

With a box wrench or socket, loosen the movable strike bolt. Make all adjustments in small increments. Tighten the bolt firmly after making adjustments. The bolts should have slight up and down movement for vibration control in travel.

Test the operation of the dead bolt lock to ensure proper functions.

Apply silicone weekly to the entry door rubber gaskets to prevent squeaking
while the motorhome is in use.

Use a 1" sponge paint brush, sprayed with silicone for easy application.

CAUTION
When operating the entry door, ensure the dead bolt latch is fully unlocked
prior to closing.

Failure to do so can result in damage to the dead bolt and/or entry door.
Thank You ALL for the responses.....

The top BOLT moves a little and the Bottom is rock solid. I will try tomorrow to loosen the bottom one using a 5/8 socket. I didn't want to do anything until I got your answers...... Again Thanks..... Lee
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thank You ALL for the responses.....

The top BOLT moves a little and the Bottom is rock solid. I will try tomorrow to loosen the bottom one using a 5/8 socket. I didn't want to do anything until I got your answers...... Again Thanks..... Lee
Lee,

From time to time you need to spray those lock posts with a lubricant and take your hand and move them up and down. They stick after awhile but should move up and down. When I start having trouble with my door that is the first thing I check.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Lee,

From time to time you need to spray those lock posts with a lubricant and take your hand and move them up and down. They stick after awhile but should move up and down. When I start having trouble with my door that is the first thing I check.

Bob
The locks (on the door) were lubed by the dealer and I have done what you said using my finger and they both work real smooth. It is the studs on the jam that has me concerned, the top moves up and down a little. The bottom one that is solid. From what I have read the stud is suppose a little......

Again Thanks for your inputs..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #8

Well that didn't work..

The top Strike Bolt is still a little loose and works fine. But the bottom one has to be either tight or loose. For some reason the I can not adjust the bottom one to feel the same as the top.

The bottom strike bolt does the first latch but in order for it to do the second latch I have to push on it from the outside. It is almost like the door itself is tweaked? I have checked all the stops on the screen door and looked at the rubber seals all around the door.

To me if there was away to move the bottom strike bolt out 1/16 it would work.

My wife says it leaks COLD air around the door as we are traveling and if Momma ain't happy no one is......