Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #43

I sure wouldn't put that gas strut on the outside of our unit. Looks like an afterthought. When I was @ Monaco this fall they were still installing the same old ill designed swing arm on all the DP's.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #44

Years ago i replaced the swing arm on my ambassador with the country coach brackets that bolt through the the wall and door #15068 and the 20# strut #09294. It has worked perfect for 8 years so far. This is not a cheap fix, but it is a great answer.
sgtfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #45

Entry Door Swing Arm

I have a 99 Windsor with the swing arm door. Take the arm off, take a punch and punch the heck out of the rivet on the top, turn it over, punch the rivet on the bottom until the arms are real tight when they swing. If they're not real tight, punch them again. I have two of those swing arms. When the rivets get bad, take them down to a machine shop and have them replace the rivets. I would advise you to use stainless steel rivets on the door if they have to be drilled out. Aluminum will work. Its very inexpensive. I don't know what Monaco wants for the arms any more but the last time I bought one it was $65. The way to tighten them is just to punch the rivets. Saves a lot of time and money. Try it and see if works for you. Hope this helps. Good luck. Let me know if it works for you. Jim
James Wehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
You may laugh, but I drilled out the rivet in mine with a 1/4 in drill, and used a stainless steel 1/4 inch bolt and nut. I tightened it up and ground down the bolt head and the nut so they clear when you close the door and so far it works like a champ. I also ground the nut so it can't back off. I think the rivets are just to weak to last.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
I did something similar to slickest1, I used a stainless buttonhead fastener you can get at Ace Hardware or any number of places. The buttonhead has the same angle as the rivet on the top. I then cut the fastener flush on the bottom side and TIG welded it in with stainless rod, then ground the top of the fastener flush with the bracket which allows it to swivel freely. A permanent solution, I realize not everyone has a TIG welder, but you should be able to get any welder to do it for you especially if you used a black oxide type bolt and a MIG welder. Good luck!