RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entry Door Swing Arm or Gas Strut

Like every one else I own a poorly designed swing arm on my entry door. I followed the previous post about repair or replacement and neither is a good solution IMO. I talked to the swing arm manufacturer and they don't understand why they are wearing out, must be misaligned. Several other MH use a gas strut and I am curious if anyone else has already replaced their swing arm with a gas strut mounted on the exterior? If so what length and strength strut did they use? Or what is the OEM of the strut of other MH doors?

Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

What year is your unit? If it is like the door arms on recent models( mounts to the top of the door) there is no room for a gas strut.

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is an 06. I am thinking of mounting a strut on the exterior at the top. Several other manufacturers do it that way. Look around any CG, you will see what I mean.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if you would have sufficient strength to hold the piston without getting a backing plate to provide the support needed.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Buford B....Everyone's use is different. I've had my coach for 6 years and the arm still works fine. I've adjusted it 3 times over that 6 year period. I think the reason mine has lasted so long is because I only open it to the full lock position when it's really windy and necessary to do so. During regular use, I open the door until the arm just starts to bind. This leaves the door almost fully open and doesn't force the locking mechanism to engage.

My brother-in-law has an Itasca Meridian DP (Winnebago) and they have a similar issue with their doors. Their stops won't hold the door open in a heavy wind and causes it to open too far. They have a fix which attaches a plate about 4"x4" on the lower part of the exterior door near hinge. A large rubber stop is mounted to the front cap. The door opens and the palte hits the rubber stop. This wouldn't provide any tension on the door when swinging, but provides a positive stop.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if you would have sufficient strength to hold the piston without getting a backing plate to provide the support needed.
Thanks for the warning. I'm thinking there should be some structural framework around the door. Maybe I could find it with a rare earth magnet.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

I must be blind. I have never seen a unit with a gas strut on the outside. Can you provide me with the model of the units you saw with an exterior device? Cannot be a strut similar to what is used on baggage doors as the dirt would kill it quickly. I agree that you would sure need some sort of reinforcing plate on both the body and door mounting postions. I treat our arm with "kid gloves" and do like DD mentioned. When it is super windy I either close the door or use a 5 inch vise grip on the arm.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I must be blind. I have never seen a unit with a gas strut on the outside. Can you provide me with the model of the units you saw with an exterior device? Cannot be a strut similar to what is used on baggage doors as the dirt would kill it quickly. I agree that you would sure need some sort of reinforcing plate on both the body and door mounting postions. I treat our arm with "kid gloves" and do like DD mentioned. When it is super windy I either close the door or use a 5 inch vise grip on the arm.
I'm not dreaming and you are not blind. I never noticed until we went to a RV show and saw quite a few with the struts on the outside. They make them like everything else, built for the environment they live in. Remember the rods are in when you are traveling so its's just a matter of using the correct seal on the piston. Somebody out there that has one this way please pipe in or I'll have to visit a CG or dealer tommorrow. If I can figure out how maybe I'll post a photo.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think if you were to visit a TT lot you would be more likely to see the strut on the doors. I've seen them on a few trailers.

Buford.....what is it that you're looking to accomplish. A strut will probably give the door a positive stop, but so would a length of cable. Unless you find the perfect strut, I think it would always be forcing your door all the way or open or closed.

I think if you just want something to keep the door from opening past it's stop point, it would be easier to replace the arm with a vinyl coated cable and use a small elastic band (mini bungee cord) to keep tension on it and pull it toward the corner of the door when you close the door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I own a 2004 Gulfstream SunVoyager and it uses a 20 lb gas strut on the top outside of the door. I had to replace the strut one time. It mounts on a bracket that is fastened to the door with three screws. It seems to work fine.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I may be wrong but I think the new Monaco Vesta has a gas strut on the door, and it's not a TT. I'll bet Monaco will sell me one. I wonder how long before it is standard. At least you won't have to use a 3LB hammer, vice grips or bungee cord on it. You may have to replace it but it will be easier and cheaper than the swing arm. After viewing previous posts I always thought there has to be a better way.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Monaco RV Parts Warehouse | Holiday Rambler Parts | Beaver Coach | Safari Coach

Scroll down and you will see the replacement part for a decent price.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of our class C manuf. used gas struts for a couple of years.We did not have any troubles with the struts, but a ton of troubles with the brackets. They finally quit using them because of the problems.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
YC1 your link does not work.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote