Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #15

Robi.1014........ Hahahaha. Methinks...... you have a solution that will work. It just bugs me.....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is some information that may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coachstep.pdf (80.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf 38040983a (DIAGRAM, ELECTRIC POWER STEP).pdf (46.6 KB, 214 views)
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gordon66 for the pdf links. That is great. Haven't had a chance to trace any further the gremlin messing up my entry step behavior, but the schematics will help. Did discover that the little lights on the switches on the three switch panel that includes the step switch are "locate lights" so you can find them in the dark, that are illuminated along with the dash panel lights and are controlled by the marker/headlight switch on the dash. They are not individual operational lights that illuminate showing the switch to be on or off as I first thought. Wife says, "well I knew that, they come on with the headlights!"

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. If the system is designed what I call right the steps should always extend when door opened unless you install an override.. Here is how you do it.

As I said there are two controllers.. On one the door open the switch is open, on the other opening the door closes the door switch

Extend the steps and lock them out (Turn switch off)

crawll under, Find the wires to the door switch.. KEEP CLEAR OF THE STEPS as they can hurt you if they do not stay locked, DO NOT TRUST, KEEP CLEAR

IF the door is closed, Cut a wire.. (just oen) if this causes the step light to come on then door open switch open.

Now... In this case get a toggle switch and install it near the inside of the door (In the step well) Where you can easily reach it with the steps extended and door open but where it is very hard to hit it by accident (mine is hidden in the side carpet)

The switch is a toggle, SPST.. both cut ends go to one terminal.. The other wire (You need not cut it, just expose it) goes to the OTHER terminal (NOTE: in my case I soldered on an extension to reach the switch)

Swich on (CLosed) the system thinks the door is closed no matter what it is and the steps retract and stay that way, Opening the door has no effrect.

Switch off, the door operates normally

Now, on the older controller cutting that wire will not affect the step light.. If that happens then one cut end goes to one terminal, the other goes to the other terminal

Now (you install the switch "Upside down" Turning the switch OFF (Which is not the UP position) and again, opening or closing the door will have no effect, The system will think DOOR CLOSED.

Turning the switch ON (Down) will cause normal operation .
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Also have step problem??

Have been reading your posts, and I also have a step problem. Switch by entrance door seemingly doesn't do anything. ALSO, MY MAIN PROBLEM IS, because of recent crash damage, dealer installed completely new steps and controller, etc. BUT, 25 amp fused lead for motor is hooked direct to coach battery + post. Drawing shows should be to top 25 amp fuse on fuse block just to left of coach battery solenoid. Appears to be empty with no wire. Does anyone have photo of just how it should be attached to fuse block? Needless to say, I am not inclined to go back to dealer. P.S. I have a 2001 Forest River Georgetown 303.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No direct answer to give you, but here are a couple of opinions!

By being attached directly to the positive post of the coach/chassis battery, you've lost the ability to fully disconnect (isolate) the chassis battery if/when the coach is in storage for a long period of time. This is assuming that you have such a disconnect switch on your FR. Via these switches, my '04 Diplomat allows me to manually disconnect house and chassis battery-banks for long-term storage without the concern for small current(s) draining the batts.

Secondly, I hope the new 25A fuse is located very near the battery-bank and not very near the step's controller module. Fusing "close" to the battery is the safe way to do it.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Lee B When you park your rig, take key out and open door... step goes out which is normal....... stay inside your rig turn switch on, open door then close door..... now step is closed.... you are still inside..... turn switch off..... wait a couple of seconds before opening door...... step should stay in........
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Do you know where the heavy wire, 25 amp fuse, direct to motor, is fed from? Not direct to battery post as mine is? Mine always is hot this way. I assume it should be disconnected when coach battery is turned off, is that correct?
Thanks
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote