Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #1

Unhappy Entry Step stuck out!

hi and TIA for the help! we are leaving this thursday and I have been preparing like mad. hooked up the truck to the MH yesterday to test all lights etc, and noticed the step would not go in!

I crawled under and found that there is power (red) going into the controller, but no power coming out (red) of controller. there is a black one coming out that has power to the light under step. also checked 2 grounds, lubed, checked 2 fuses.

now what?

question: can I jump power off the black wire to the red coming out of the controller?
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #2

Do you have the step switch next to the door in the out position. This keeps the step from retracting. Does it come in with the engine running?
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

does not retract with engine running; switch is not off. can hear a click when door shuts and opens as if it is trying
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

My coach is two yes old had to replace motor on step. To get mine home I pushed on it with the engine running and it retracted.... We made it to the shop.
you could retract it by removing the bolt that attaches the drive gear to the step then push it in and secure with tie wraps
Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #5

Dumb thought but spray WD40 on all the joints and the try it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #6

I just the same type problem with our 2002 diplomat, and found that the little magnetic senser on the rear side of the inside door frame had come loose and wasn't sensing that the door was closed. Hope this helps.
HD rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

thanks, will try that this morning and will also use a rubber mallet to bang on gear mechs to see if it's just locked up with grit
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Another thought. This last winter in cold weather, our step started not extending or retracting at all.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be the door switch. It would even prevent the step from closing when the engine was started! I replaced it and all is well.

We lived with it for a while because we could tap the switch with our toes and get the door to work.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speaking of "tapping....to make it work".....

After checking all connections and switches for my steps, I found they didn't work because of an internal problem with the 12volt drive motor. For now, I can "wake up" this motor with a solid rap from a long screwdriver. Replacement motor will be ordered shortly.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the door open, take a hammer, a rubber coated handle type is best, Using the handle "TUNK" the motor a few times,, You do not want to break it, just shake it up a bit.

Then get out of the way and close the door.

This has worked for me a few times..

There are two common causes of this.. 1: Switch failure (the least common) two Dead spot on the motor.

I had this problem several times, Finally I 'Re-Indexed" the motor.. If thunking it works, I'll tell you how to re-index if you like, but there are cautions in that procedure.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I would be hesitant about jumpering any wires. look closely at the door switch for alignment and broken or loose wires. remember an open door will always extend the steps regardless of the ignition or on-off switch.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #12

I pulled the switch apart; 3 little springs fell out along with a rocker copper flat piece. I think maybe something is broken within this? doesn't feel like it should just fall apart like that. put it back tog (not sure where the lil springs go), and now it won't light up. and I also tested the wires hooked into the back to see if they have power; one blue has power, the other blue must be the ground?, the other orange and white ones all have power when I use the ground blue for the ground.

so, I think I have power going to the switch.

have thunked the motor and controller, verified power to the 4 way connector. the 2 way did not show power except for a couple of seconds. I'm thinking that maybe it's either the switch, the controller, or the magnet?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BikerGirl,

My previous posting (below) offers some insight as to how the step's "module" operates based on voltages provided to it like "IGNITION ON" and "DOOR OPEN" conditions. Wire colors are described as well.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entr...ion-75505.html

But....
There is a piece of "magic" going on here (within the LOGIC module) that must be understood. This module only applies voltage to the step drive-motor for about 5 seconds (to cause the steps to deploy, or, to retract). Once the steps are deployed (this is your problem, right?) for example, thumping the drive-motor with a hammer or screwdriver may not help. Thumping the drive-motor during the 5-second "window of applied power" may have a better chance of success.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the switch.. That was the WRONG SWITCH.. Describe the shape of the controller and I will tell you how much damage you did.

Option 1: A retangualr box.. Two short sides, two longer sides

Option 2: An almost triangular box, One very short side, ONe short side and two much longer sides that meet king of like thi \

If you have option 1: you have disabled your steps when you broke that switch.

Option 2: The steps will still follow the door, till you fix the switch.

Assumes Kwikee steps.