Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Entry steps

My steps were working well, but stopped , checked the Ground its ok, could not get power at the motor connection and did try to attach power direct to the motor and it would not turn, I am looking for another Motor but am thinking that be cause I could not get power at the connection it may be another problem as well, The Light under the step has power but not to the motor , is their a fuse somewhere just for the step motor?
canable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Steps are my #1 issue with the coach. If it rains, my steps malfunction. It dries out and they work again. I've also used a hammer, looking for the right place to tap (like the Fonz). Hit the magic spot and they work again. While in the shop, they always work perfectly. Good luck.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
Steps are my #1 issue with the coach. If it rains, my steps malfunction. It dries out and they work again. I've also used a hammer, looking for the right place to tap (like the Fonz). Hit the magic spot and they work again. While in the shop, they always work perfectly. Good luck.
Have you tried a GOOD spray lube on all the pivot points? Lack of lubrication is the most common cause of step problems.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Did you check the battery switch or salesman switch we call it, it kills power to the steps.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

I would take the pin out of the linkage between the motor gearbox and steps. Verify the steps move easily by hand and and not binding up. Before putting the pin back in, try connecting 12vdc directly to the motor in both directions.

My steps have 3 circuit breakers. All are on the control box 4 pin connector -
Red wire is the main feed to the control box - 20 amp breaker
Yellow wire is ignition switch - 6 amp breaker
White wire is step lockout switch - 6 amp breaker
Brown wire is door switch - normally open but ties to ground when door is closed
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
"Good" spray lube

Dennis wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you tried a GOOD spray lube on all the pivot points? Lack of lubrication is the most common cause of step problems.
Dennis, I would like to know what you consider to be a "good" spray lube for this particular location (the steps at the front door). I am not being a "wise-guy" but would seriously appreciate some direction as to brand / type etc.

My joints on our steps are really dry at the moment, this is a very timely question.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for the help.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Kwikee sells a spray. I am using a spray that when it drys is a grease. I had one of my
bearings seizing up and I used penetration oil first and now I will keep it lube with this
spray grease and if that doesn't work I will try and get the Kwikee spray.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use Kwikee and it has helped (still had to hit it once with a hammer). Sprays on as oil then solidifies into a grease.

I also leave step on to cycle when I open/close door. A little annoying, but at least it's getting exercise.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaYams View Post
Dennis wrote:

Dennis, I would like to know what you consider to be a "good" spray lube for this particular location (the steps at the front door). I am not being a "wise-guy" but would seriously appreciate some direction as to brand / type etc.

My joints on our steps are really dry at the moment, this is a very timely question.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for the help.
Big Papa, this is the best spray lube I've used. Not only the steps but everything that moves on your RV. I know that Camping world also sells it besides Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014..._1495941946385
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fusible link at steps

Canable,
On my coach (according to the electrical schematic) there is a "fusible link" (serves the same function as a fuse) that runs to the motor for the steps. You wouldn't be able to visually check whether there is an issue (unlike a fuse) but would need to uncover the spliced end to be able to probe with a VOM or test light.
THAT would be a good place to check if you can't find a fuse in the forward electrical bay.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Fusible link wire is available thru most auto parts stores
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

Thanks I think I have it worked out to be the elect. board under the step between the power connection and the motor , I have power at the connection and can move the steps when I attach a 12 volt jumper, but nothing goes past the small board when I attach the connector to it , Just ordered one , that should be it . thanks for all the advice , this Forum has helped me alot with problems that come up once and a while .
canable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
+1 on Boeshield T-9, good stuff. That solved a big majority of the physical/moving step problems.

Another problem was the location of the circuit board. Got very handy at failed boards due to rain, mud, salt slush, ice, etc, getting thrown at it by the tire until I moved the latest board to a more-protected location behind and above the right head-lite area.

Now a lot more time available to devote to working on other coach issues .
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps