Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

My friend has a 2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a 330 Cummins. He was traveling today and his tachometer running 1400 to 1500 rpm's at between 60 to 65 mph. Then for no reason it started jumping around. Dropped to 1000 rpm's then up to 4000 rpm's?? Don't know why. It is just working erratic. He called the dealer where he purchased it in August of this year. They said don't worry about it, maybe a loose wire? Told him he could look for loose wire behind tach. He is in South Carolina heading for Florida now.

Has anyone had this problem with their tachometer? what did you do to correct it? Any info on this would be appriecated.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #2

My friend has a 2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a 330 Cummins. He was traveling today and his tachometer running 1400 to 1500 rpm's at between 60 to 65 mph. Then for no reason it started jumping around. Dropped to 1000 rpm's then up to 4000 rpm's?? Don't know why. It is just working erratic. He called the dealer where he purchased it in August of this year. They said don't worry about it, maybe a loose wire? Told him he could look for loose wire behind tach. He is in South Carolina heading for Florida now.

Has anyone had this problem with their tachometer? what did you do to correct it? Any info on this would be appriecated.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

Mine has done that since we got it in May.
Called tech help said to look for loose wire or bad ground,I could never find a loose wire and I added a ground,no help?
I was told it maybe a bad alternator,but If that was the case how long does it take for the alternator to go out?
Some times the tach is rock solid,guess we will just live with it.
It would be nice someone did come up with a fix for it.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Ahhhh, the dancing tach syndrome! Mine does that too. I have read several posts concerning a bad ground connection behind the dash panel and others suggesting that there may be a bad connection (connector) at the alternator end of the harness. As annoying as mine has been, I have not managed to get up the courage to remove the dash to look for a problem. My simple solution was to put the GPS mount on the tach face and now I am unaware of the dancing.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've heard too that the tach is driver off the alternator, but don't believe it's tied directly to actual alternator power-output, but more of a separate pick-off line (Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, however).

If that's the case, there probably isn't much to worry about, except for a bad tach-reading obviously.

However, something like that would bug me til I fixed it, hope yours is solved soon.

HTH

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info. I talked to my friend today and he said the tach was working find today?? Don't know what to tell you?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've heard too that the tach is driver off the alternator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe they run an old timey speedo cable from the driveshaft allllll the way to the front.

I too think it is taken off off the alternator and shaped before it is sent to the dash guage.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

I had an eratic tach on my 05 Dynasty when I picked it up at the factory. Delivery tech did not feel it was a problem. 1,000 miles later engine would momentarily stop. Masseys in Phoenix finally diagnosed it as poorly crimped wires at the engine ECU.

2,000 miles later tach started jumping around again. Those connections failed one more time and we coasted to a stop on the I5. Ended up with bent mirrors behind a tow truck at Medford Oregon. Convinced the Cummins shop to look at the ECU connections and they replaced the connector. No problems since.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey there Eaglesview...
I cannot believe you have gotten in 5 posts and I haven't welcomed you yet! I am so sorry to have been so neglectful!

I am now giving you the "MonacoMama" welcome! I have read your posts and you are already an asset to this board! It is RV owners like you that make iRV2 the best RV forum on the web.
I do hope you will let me give you some "Monaco Karma" to add underneath your log-in name to the left of your posts. I would be honored to throw some of the "pixie dust" across your name.

Again... Welcome to iRV2 ...and hopefully the "Monaco Forum" also!! Please continue with your posts and feel free to venture off the Monaco spot just to see how great we have it!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
YIKES!!
Have I not welcomed you either, Rambler1??

Oh noooo... they will take my "pixie dust" away if you two don't let me sign you up as "Monaco Owners Forum Members"!!

(I did notice that you have been around since April..so I am not feeling quite as bad...whew! )

Anyway... also welcome to our little piece of paradise...ok.. iRV2...maybe it's not paradise.. but there is some great info here!

Let me know when you are ready for some "Pixie Dust"...and ronboc or I will wave it over your names!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote