RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #1

Executive with a Detroit 525 engine

I am looking a 2005 Monaco Executive 40 PBT for sale. I am only familiar with the Cummins engine, but this one has a Detroit series 60, 525 Hp engine, 41,000 miles.
Does anyone know the pros and cons of this model and engine?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I am looking a 2005 Monaco Executive 40 PBT for sale. I am only familiar with the Cummins engine, but this one has a Detroit series 60, 525 Hp engine, 41,000 miles.

Stunningly good engine, used in millions of trucks and transit buses. Prevost used them until they were purchased by Volvo a few years ago. I think all the miles I spent in Prevost entertainer coaches were with Detroit Diesel 60 engines.

Not the thriftiest with fuel. Very reliable and generally you can get service from any diesel shop that will work on coaches.

Typically they'll go 300,000 miles before an in-frame rebuild.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Detriot Diesels are called "million mile motors".
They are so reliable that this forum won't start a section for them because there aren't enough problems to warrant it.
I just turned 60k on mine and its flawless.
As stated above, not the best on fuel.
I have passed my buddy with a 600 Cummins in the mountains. He had nothing in tow and I had 4 Harleys in a 25' enclosed trailer

Click here for my info on Navigators
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I took the factory training for overhaul and troubleshooting on the series 60 engines back in the early 1990's. They are good engines that were used for years in OTR trucks.
With proper maintain schedule, they used to go over a million miles.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Detroit Series 60 was a $20,000 plus option on a 2005 Executive. They came standard with a Cummins ISM.

In a 40' triple slide coach it should feel like a hot rod.

Make sure it also has an Aqua Hot heat and hot water system. If you are not familiar with these coaches, it might be wise to hire a professional inspector.

Download the original brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2005

Also, be very careful on pricing. Some folks are marking the prices on these older coaches way above the market. Check NADA values and do searches on RVT.com and RVTrader.com for like coaches.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #6

I have a question, you say it has a 525 HP Detroit 60. The standard engine was the Cummins ISM and the optional engines were the Detroit with 515 HP or the Cummins ISX with 525 HP. The Cummins engines will be either black or red and the Detroit Engine will be blueish gray. Just wondering for sure which it is? I have a 2004 Executive 40PBT and we love the floorplan and the coach. Ours has the base engine (ISM) and it is a great engine. The Detroit 60 is also great from everything I have read although a little harder on fuel usage, but hey none of these are going to get great MPG. The Executive was next to the top Monaco in 2005 and is a great, well built coach that rides and drives very well.
Dave
Old 05-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
$115K is a fair price with new batteries and tires. The 525 HP made it easy to find as it’s really 515 HP. Great engine with plenty of torque in a great, well built and great handling rig. Engine was an expensive upgrade. I would not let it get away from you as it’s a sought after rig that now more than just you will be looking at. If you have the cash money I’d offer $110.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
We've got a 2004 Signature with the Detroit Series 60 now have 130,000+ miles on it without a single hick-up. This engine is GREAT. We"ve had coaches with Cummins, and CAT and think the Detroit is the better engine. They are known to be 1,000,000+ mile engines with the proper care and routine maintenance.

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine