Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake

I have a 2003 monaco calmelot 40pst with the cummins 350hp 8.3 and having problems with my exhaust brake.When I turn the switch on and let off the throttle it does what it should by shifting down and key pad in 2nd gear.When I turn the EB switch off the pac brake is still activated as I let off the throttle,any ideas what was cause this.I did check and the EB switch light does go off when switched off/

Thanks

windsorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #2

This may sound strange but, Not sure I completely understand your problem.
When you switch on the EB the Trans downshifts to 2nd gear. OK, now, does the EB engage? Can you hear the change in the exhaust?
I think your problem is likely a stuck EB Butterfly Valve. These things need to be serviced.

http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...ps%2010.02.pdf

http://www.pacbrake.com/PDF/L5046.PDF

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

In addition to the butterfly valve, be sure to check the pilot valve module, if your system has one, which it likely does. It is an aluminum block, maybe 1 " x 4" x ", or so, with a small solenoid attached to one end. On our unit, it was mounted on the top, curbside, rear of the engine (front of the coach), on a stand-off bracket . It will probably have two small air lines and a pair of wires attached to it. It has a plunger valve that can stick, and the spring in the end opposite the solenoid may not be able to push it back to its resting position. If that happens after the EB is applied, the air pressure that holds the exhaust butterfly valve closed can't vent, and therefore the brake will remain active until it finally lets go. I can't count the times I had to remove and clean my pilot valve on our '94 Dynasty! PacBrake has an overhaul kit for those, too.
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Going back to your problem that the exhaust brake not going off. Is check the switch. Even if the light goes out on the switch, the contacts on the switch side could be stuck. I'd start there. Once you confirm no power from the switch is off, then it goes to the EMC controller. This controls the brake. I'd bet on the switch.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
When I turn the EB switch off the pac brake is still activated as I let off the throttle,any ideas what was cause this.I did check and the EB switch light does go off when switched off/
The butterfly valve or control valve can't be stuck otherwise you would have great loss of power and lots of black smoke when you pushed the throttle down.

Is the transmission also dropping back to second when you lift your foot with the EB switched off.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorman View Post
I have a 2003 monaco calmelot 40pst with the cummins 350hp 8.3 and having problems with my exhaust brake.When I turn the switch on and let off the throttle it does what it should by shifting down and key pad in 2nd gear.When I turn the EB switch off the pac brake is still activated as I let off the throttle,any ideas what was cause this.I did check and the EB switch light does go off when switched off/

Thanks
The pac brake and the Allison braking are two separate parts. When the Exhaust Brake is enabled it also sends a signal to the Allison to tell the transmission to gear down. If you apply the accelerator the exhaust brake butterfly will open and the Allison will operate in a normal manner. When you remove your foot from the accelerator the exhaust butterfly closes and the Allison gears down safely based on highway speed and engine rpm. It sounds like even through the Exhaust Brake is turned off the Allison is still receiving a signal to brake when the accelerator is released. There are a number of relays involved in the exhaust brake/Allison braking scheme. Try to locate them and swap with know good relays. On our coach they are in the front run bay.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Yes, the transmission does shift down and I can hear the exhaust brake kicking in and it does slow me down,just don't understand why when the EB switch is off the EB brake still is activated but the brake lights do not come on when the switch is in the off position.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a relay. When the exhaust brake activates the brake lights also go on. I don't believe the third brake does but the other 2 do. Take a look with the exhaust bake switch on and see if the third brake light also comes on or not. Sounds like a stuck relay.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

I did make sure the 3rd brake light came on when switch is in the on position,it does not come on when switch is turned off but the pac brake is still activated.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like a stuck relay under the driver seat bay.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #11

I did check and my 3rd brake light does come on along with the brake lights with the EB switch on,anyone know how to test the EB relay and where to purchase a new one.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Any ideas on how to disconnect the exhaust brake for now until I can get it in to determine the problem.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #13

A pacbrake is controlled by air switched by a valve usually mounted on the chassis rails close to the brake itself. Easy to disconnect it electrically there which will stop the valve from closing but will NOT stop the transmission from downshifting.

You could try disconnecting the wires from one side of the switch in case it is the switch contact stuck on inside the switch
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #14

Do you know if the switch on the dash is just a standard off/on type toggle switch that I could try to see if it is the switch.

Tags
brake