Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 Camelot. Will the Brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is on and slowing the unit down?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 Camelot. Will the Brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is on and slowing the unit down?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #3

ups34, ours does! but it is an 02 beaver built by monaco! jim.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #4

And mine do on my 07 Diplomat
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So does ours on an '06 Endeavor. I think most, if not all, of Monaco's lineup do as well

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #6

Mine does too!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine dosen't, Monaco missed a connection and after hours of searching, it couldn't be corrected. The downside to this is that I wanted to install the "Brakeswitch" for the cruise control/exhaust brake override and it won't work without the brake lights coming on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
DipD...Are you saying that because the brake lights won't come on...the "Brakeswitch" will not work on your rig? It has been a busy day at work...and my brain might be a little fuzzy..but I wanted to make sure I understood it correctly....

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
The downside to this is that I wanted to install the "Brakeswitch" for the cruise control/exhaust brake override and it won't work without the brake lights coming on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don,

At first I thought that it shouldn't matter for the BrakeSwitch. But thinking further, you are correct. The BrakeSwitch gets its power (to keep the two relays inside closed) from the brake lamp circuit. So without the lamps staying on while the exhaust brake is on, the exhuast brake would turn off as soon as you lift your foot of the brake pedal. What you want, of course, is for it to stay on until you touch the throttle.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
...I wanted to install the "Brakeswitch" for the cruise control/exhaust brake override and it won't work without the brake lights coming on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, have you checked into having your coach reprogrammed for the 'Latch' mode? This mode operates the exhaust brake essentially identical to the Brake Switch. Check with Cummins to see if they offer this mode. I had mine repgrogrammed by my CAT dealer. Takes 5 minutes.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Pusherman,

I've read posts in several forums that said for the Cummins engines the "Latch Mode" only works for the engine brake and not for the exhaust brake. I don't know if it's true or not. A call to Cummins should verify it, though.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote