Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Don I have a 2500 trans so I guess it worked out that I got lucky when I ordered the BrakeSwitch. My tail lights do come on when the exhaust brake is activated. So I'm good to STOP. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I got the wiring diagram from Monaco and fax it to Homer,he told me what wires to cut,I did it one at a time,I still don't know what caused it,but all I did was hook it up like Homer said to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Phil, I really feel like I have to defend Homer on this one. If you CORRECTLY identify the wires you will be using, cut them ONE AT A TIME, and splice them to the CORRECT Brakeswitch wires it will be IMPOSSIBLE for the device to damage your MH! Now, I can see how, if you cut more than one wire at a time or got the wires from the BrakeSwitch mixed up, it could certainly do damage. When wired properly, all you are doing is putting a relay in series with the wire you cut and providing 12V power and ground to the device.

I'm really sorry that you had a bad experience that no doubt cost you a lot of money. If I'm reading you correctly, you are not blaming the Brakeswitch itself, but saying that Homer gave you the wrong information. Obviously there was some mis-communication between yourself and Homer, and that's unfortunate.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Phil, that's a bummer! Really sorry that it cost you so much money! There's always the chance that the wiring diagram you got from Monaco was not correct. I found some errors on mine and they claimed it was kind of generic, even though it was supposed to be for my model and year. I would tend to think the fault may have been with the diagram rather than a mistake that Homer made. He seems to be very knowledgeable. JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post

I got the wiring diagram from Monaco and fax it to Homer,he told me what wires to cut,I did it one at a time,I still don't know what caused it,but all I did was hook it up like Homer said to!
RVTips,

I remember reading that posting where you documented all of your problems. It was about three years ago and I had no idea what the "Brake Switch" was or used for at the time. I have learned a lot since then. Fortunately, my Cummins/Allison ECM's had the Latching Program flashed into it before I purchased the coach from the original owners. So I never needed to purchase the Brake Switch.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/add-...are-63448.html

Were you ever able to solve the problem and are you using the Brake Switch currently?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #33

Maybe Im wrong but the brake switch appears to be just a simple relay that is triggered by the brake lights and closes the power in voltage to the exhaust brake selector switch?
Sofar-Sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Homer would NOT do anything about it!
The brake switch is seating on my work bench,every time it look at it all I see is over $ 3000.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
RVTips,

I remember reading that posting where you documented all of your problems. It was about three years ago and I had no idea what the "Brake Switch" was or used for at the time. I have learned a lot since then. Fortunately, my Cummins/Allison ECM's had the Latching Program flashed into it before I purchased the coach from the original owners. So I never needed to purchase the Brake Switch.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/add-...are-63448.html

Were you ever able to solve the problem and are you using the Brake Switch currently?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofar-Sogood View Post
Maybe Im wrong but the brake switch appears to be just a simple relay that is triggered by the brake lights and closes the power in voltage to the exhaust brake selector switch?
I think you're exactly right, except there are two relays. That's what Homer told me.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #36

brake question

If the Pac brake always comes on when braking this could be very dangerous if desending icy or snow covered roads. Maybe I misunderstand the operation? Can it be set so pac brake doesn't come on with brake operation?

cheers James
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Sure just turn the exhaust brake switch OFF. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #38

I dont see how it could be 2 relays with only 4 wires, 1) Trigger from brake lights 2)Ground 3) 12VDC in 4) 12VDC out?
Quote:
I think you're exactly right, except there are two relays. That's what Homer told me.
Sofar-Sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Sure just turn the exhaust brake switch OFF. deSanford
Interesting......
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If anyone is going to buy a Brake Switch from Homer, they should do it now. He said he's selling what he has left and that will be it. With the new transmissions already programmed to do what his switch does, sales are almost nill.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofar-Sogood View Post
I dont see how it could be 2 relays with only 4 wires, 1) Trigger from brake lights 2)Ground 3) 12VDC in 4) 12VDC out?
The switch I got has 6 wires. 12VDC, ground, and two for each relay.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The switch I got has 6 wires. 12VDC, ground, and two for each relay.
Joe,

Your Brake Switch is for the Roadmaster Chassis which has 6 wires. There are some switches with four wires and one relay which are for other coaches that are made on a different chassis.

Brakeswitch, A better way to MANAGE your exhaust brake

See some of the other application links on the left of the page.

One size does NOT fit all! That how RVTips got into trouble with his Brake Switch as there are many variations depending on what coach you have.

Just make double and triple sure you are using the correctly labeled wires otherwise it will get real expensive.

That's why I prefer and recommend to flash the ECM with the Latching Program but it is a lot more expensive.

At least Homer's Brake Switch gives people an option but he's now going out of business soon as most of the new engines are already flashed with the required program coming from the factory.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake