RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I am steaming...despite all the advice to not buy an extended warranty on my new to me 01 Monaco Dynasty DIP, I bought the Good Sam EW for peace of mind. Stupid me!! Now 4 months later I had a fluid leak. Dealer diagnosed a leaking hydraulic pump and hoses. Nothing is covered under EW because the seals on the pump are leaking and they or the hoses are NOT COVERED. They tell me the pump can't be rebuilt, and want $1700 for the repair. Good Same covers zip! I am canceling the policy tomorrow and go naked from now on. What a RIP!

teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Sorry about the policy, but I'm a skeptic, do you think you're getting 'soaked' on the repair because it 'cannot' be rebuilt. I wonder how much truth to that it really is.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
I wouldn't be to hasty, the day after you cancel yer coverage, something that was covered will go bad. You just got caught up in the fine print, I'm sure it was in the policy you read before buying, right
Oh if it were me, I'd shop around before spending $1700 with THEM.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought the Monaco Warranty because it seemed to covermore, but you never know. I think they all try to find any reason to not cover a problem.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Sorry to hear that...I have a warranty that has paid off to where I am really ahead a couple of hundred bucks...but I hope I never use it again...My policy is an exclusionary and I know from experience that the dealership has helped me obtain coverage...but coverage none the less...
good luck

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #6

All hydraulic pumps can be repaired (for leaks). Seal replacement is not difficult. With the typical oily mess that occurs, it is very difficult to tell if the leak is the hose or the pump, until removal. I would find another shop.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just had an opportunity to put my extended warranty to use. Now keep in mind, all warranties are not the same.
I had several problems on my rig all at once. They paid 1800.00 toward the repairs on my basement A/C and heat pump. I paid 200 more and got a brand new unit including 2 year warranty. They paid for a bad spring in my patio awning. Paid for some drawer brackets that had broke. They did not pay anything on my dash A/C problem. I presumeably have a leak somewhere and was low on freon. They put dye in the line and recharged it. But since the dye did not appear anywhere, they wouldnt cover the 107.00 cost of recharging. Still, this one visit to the dealer paid for the warranty.
So you might want to rethink about keeping it.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Extended warranties are like going to Vegas. It's a risk management game. The purchaser of the extended warranty pays someone else to carry his/her risk. Like Mike, sometimes the customer will win a hand or two, but over the long term, the odds are with the house! If the warranty companies aren't making money, they won't stay in the game.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had a 99 GMC and something when wrong with the ABS brakes and the part and labor cost almost $900. I was only a couple thousand miles out of warranty and had to pay for it. I still don't buy the extended warranty. In my 40 + years of driving I have had to spend very little after the warranty ran out, the last was a exception. With all the companies that are into these extended warranty it must be a money maker for them.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce, you got me thinking. I purchased a used 2001 Windsor from a private party. Came with 2 yrs left on his extended warranty from Monaco Corp. I better read the fine print to fully understand what is covered or not. Having repaired pumps in the past, once it is pulled off, should be able to tell if a rebuild kit will fix the problem. That 1.7K price seems high. How many hours do they estimate for labor?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:20 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am retired from the auto business. Extended warranties normally pay back 100% of the premiums, during the warranty period. This sounds rediculous, but the profit is from the interest they earn while the vehicle is covered under the factory warranty.
roy goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #12

As I have stated before, there are no recourse if there is a dispute with the warranty. The warranties are only as good as the clerk who handles the loss says it is. In most cases, the warranty HQs are based in another state and the cost of litigation is out of the question. I think you are much better off by taking the money you spend on the warranty and putting it aside is a special account and use it if you have to. No hassel. s/Toby
Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by roy goble:
I am retired from the auto business. Extended warranties normally pay back 100% of the premiums, during the warranty period. This sounds rediculous, but the profit is from the interest they earn while the vehicle is covered under the factory warranty.
By the same token, an individual could take the premium he/she would pay for an extended warranty, invest it and carry his/her own risk.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I have been satisfied with mine up until recently. The small print is where you get left out to dry. For instance, a failed hydraulic jack due to a faulty electrical connection is not covered. An air conditioner compressor that sounds like it's about to fall through the ceiling is not covered until it fails completely. Kind of a no-brainer but listening to the sales pitch "everything from bumper-to-bumper is completely covered". I plan to have a face-to-face with the salesman next week.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote