Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

Extended warranty or not

We are picking up our new 2016 holiday rambler 33CT on Friday. Won't need the extended warranty for a year, but am wondering if such a warranty along with a tire warranty is necessary. We had both with our Thor Class C and used the extended warranty twice, but the HR is of better quality, I think, so am just not sure if it isn't better to just save the $$$ for future needs.

What do you all think

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterman50 View Post
We are picking up our new 2016 holiday rambler 33CT on Friday. Won't need the extended warranty for a year, but am wondering if such a warranty along with a tire warranty is necessary. We had both with our Thor Class C and used the extended warranty twice, but the HR is of better quality, I think, so am just not sure if it isn't better to just save the $$$ for future needs.

What do you all think
If it is new and covered by the factory I wouldn't worry so much about an extended warranty. My coach was not new and I did not know how the engine and transmission had been treated. I bought for peace of mind. A new engine could cost 35K. Tough to absorb that. A new reefer or AC I can handle if need be. You could still have an engine problem but probably would happen in the first year. Probably! I probably still would but maybe not. LOL Your call good luck.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Folks buy insurance to mitigate the financial risk of major repair bills. We opted to purchase an extended service contract simply because I wanted to lay off some of the financial risk of an issue the engine, trans or major house components. The contract was not cheap. So far, we've used it for several "costly - but not MAJOR" repairs (air leveling system repair, failed hydraulic pump replacement and repair of our Magnasine invertor/converter. Combined, the insurance payments associated with these repairs have "paid back" close to half of what I paid - and I've still got 3 years left under the contract. While I usually don't consider extended service contracts - I'm glad that I purchased this one. The money I've already got invested in my coach is large enough that I'm happy to lay off risk were I to have a MAJOR issue that might sideline my investment because of the cost of the repairs.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Extended warranty or not

Your 2016 holiday rambler 33CT being a Gas RV may not be as expensive for Engine, transmission repair, replace as my DP but watch for Max coverage.

I was ready to purchase one of the VPP policies from Wholesale Warranty before I read the fine print. Steve the salesperson was taunting that the plan is a must as it covers the Diesel Engine, transmission, radiator, etc., all of which could run up a bill fo $25,000 - $40,000 or more and that they pay if a covered item no matter what the cost. Alas I found the $35,000 lifetime max and asked him about it and he has not called me back since!!!

From the policy itself:
5. Limits of Liability: a. Single CLAIM Limit: OUR liability with respect to any one CLAIM is limited to the cost to repair or replace any COVERED PARTS at prevailing retail labor rates. Repairs may be completed with parts of like, kind and quality, commensurate with the age of the UNIT at the time the parts failed, as customarily used in the RV industry, less any DEDUCTIBLE. Furthermore, in no event shall OUR liability exceed the cost necessary to correct the actual cause of the BREAKDOWN. b. Aggregate CLAIM Limit: OUR liability with respect to the total of all benefits paid or payable while this AGREEMENT is in force shall not exceed the lesser of: 1) Thirty Five Thousand Dollars ($35,000.00); or 2) UNIT Purchase Price, as shown on the DECLARATION PAGE of this AGREEMENT; or 3) NADA current value of the UNIT immediately prior to the BREAKDOWN.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our engine repair, 2,600 miles after purchase, was over $33,000, cost of the service policy would have been just under $9,000 had the paperwork arrived before the engine dropped a valve in #6. Cummins knows there's a problem with our model engine and came out with new parts to correct it, but will not issue a recall.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGent View Post
Your 2016 holiday rambler 33CT being a Gas RV may not be as expensive for Engine, transmission repair, replace as my DP but watch for Max coverage.

I was ready to purchase one of the VPP policies from Wholesale Warranty before I read the fine print. Steve the salesperson was taunting that the plan is a must as it covers the Diesel Engine, transmission, radiator, etc., all of which could run up a bill fo $25,000 - $40,000 or more and that they pay if a covered item no matter what the cost. Alas I found the $35,000 lifetime max and asked him about it and he has not called me back since!!!

From the policy itself:
5. Limits of Liability: a. Single CLAIM Limit: OUR liability with respect to any one CLAIM is limited to the cost to repair or replace any COVERED PARTS at prevailing retail labor rates. Repairs may be completed with parts of like, kind and quality, commensurate with the age of the UNIT at the time the parts failed, as customarily used in the RV industry, less any DEDUCTIBLE. Furthermore, in no event shall OUR liability exceed the cost necessary to correct the actual cause of the BREAKDOWN. b. Aggregate CLAIM Limit: OUR liability with respect to the total of all benefits paid or payable while this AGREEMENT is in force shall not exceed the lesser of: 1) Thirty Five Thousand Dollars ($35,000.00); or 2) UNIT Purchase Price, as shown on the DECLARATION PAGE of this AGREEMENT; or 3) NADA current value of the UNIT immediately prior to the BREAKDOWN.
That $35,000 life-time max would not have deterred me. If purchased when the coach was new, you would likely have paid around $5000 for seven years of coverage with the Viking plan (with a pro-rated premium refund if you didn't keep the coach for seven years). If you used the entire $35,000 in claims, that would still be a very good return on investment. The same coverage on a 33 foot gas motorhome would cost well under that $5 grand amount.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty