Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Exterior Mirror Tightening Tip

This may not apply to everyone's coach, but worked on mine!

I was washing my 05 Diplomat today in preparation for a two week trip that starts tomorrow. As I was cleaning the passenger mirror, I noticed that it was loose where it mounts to the body. This apprarently developed during our last trip.

Monaco uses four large lag screws to secure the mirror to the body. I really didn't want to disassemble the mirror to get to the screws. I pulled the generator out and looked inside the cap to make sure the lags were not accessible from the inside. They aren't, but I noticed that Monaco drove the lags through the mirror, the built up mount and all the way through the cap. From inside the generator compartment, I could see the ends of the four lag screws (about 3/4" exposed). I used a small pair of ViseGrips and clamped onto the ends of the screws and tightened them. I was able to snug up all four and make the mirror tight again.

I know some have disassembled the mirror to get to theirs, but check the inside of your cap first if you have a loose mirror.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don, water leaks in around the lag screws and will eventually rot out the wood they screw into. When you have some time, remove each one and install a threaded countersunk screw and put a fender washer and stop-nut on each one. You will never have a loose mirror again. You are lucky you can see all four lag screws. On my coach there is no access to the top two except to pull the dash and windshield - nice huh! Hopefully the bottom two will hold well enough. Some epoxy on the top two will have to do.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rex.....It was one of those days.....the refer is acting up a little, I washed the coach from front to back, and the last thing I needed was to disassemble the mirrors. We leave tomorrow in the AM and I was beat. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets loose again. This was the first time in 7 years. Our last trip, I had that GoodYear front tire separating and shaking the heck out of the coach.

Got my two new Hankooks on and will see hoe they work out on this 2500 mile trip.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex
Don, water leaks in around the lag screws and will eventually rot out the wood they screw into. When you have some time, remove each one and install a threaded countersunk screw and put a fender washer and stop-nut on each one. You will never have a loose mirror again. You are lucky you can see all four lag screws. On my coach there is no access to the top two except to pull the dash and windshield - nice huh! Hopefully the bottom two will hold well enough. Some epoxy on the top two will have to do.
I had to do they same. Bolt,nuts, and washers and no more loose mirrors.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Hi - I have a loose drivers mirror base, with lag screws/bolts. How does the mirror come apart?

I can see the coin sized cover on the bottom that allows access to the bolt that holds the position of the mirror. With that off, does the cover to the base come off relatively easily?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you will PM Rex on tightening the mirror, he may be able to help with a suggestion. He's pretty good on these things.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
If you will PM Rex on tightening the mirror, he may be able to help with a suggestion. He's pretty good on these things.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Use a small screwdriver to pop off the coin sized covers that cover the lag bolts. Usually you can just tighten them but be careful as they only go into wood. If the wood is stripped, you can wedge some wood splinters in the hole and screw in the lag bolt or use some wood epoxy for a more permanent repair.

Unless the mirror is significantly different than mine, there is no disassembly of the mirror required.

Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno51 View Post
Hi - I have a loose drivers mirror base, with lag screws/bolts. How does the mirror come apart?

I can see the coin sized cover on the bottom that allows access to the bolt that holds the position of the mirror. With that off, does the cover to the base come off relatively easily?

Thanks in advance!
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Stallings View Post
Use a small screwdriver to pop off the coin sized covers that cover the lag bolts. Usually you can just tighten them but be careful as they only go into wood. If the wood is stripped, you can wedge some wood splinters in the hole and screw in the lag bolt or use some wood epoxy for a more permanent repair.

Unless the mirror is significantly different than mine, there is no disassembly of the mirror required.

Les

My coin sized cover pops off, and displays an aprox. 13 mm bolt that appears to control the rest of the arm adjustment. It looks like that has to come off before the piece that covers the lag bolts would be accessible.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #10

Must be different from mine. Ours has four coin size covers on the base that attaches to the front of the RV. Those cover the four lag bolts that hold the mirror on.

Yours sounds totally different... sorry about that!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johno51 View Post
My coin sized cover pops off, and displays an aprox. 13 mm bolt that appears to control the rest of the arm adjustment. It looks like that has to come off before the piece that covers the lag bolts would be accessible.
John,

Here is how I removed ours to tighten the mirror. It helps to have two people. Remove the coin sized cover at the bottom and remove the bolt. The mirror sits in a tapered socket and is usually hard to remove. I stood on a ladder and almost fell when the mirror broke lose from the taper. Once the taper is broken loose you should be able to lift up on the mirror arm and pull the attached cable out to a point where the connector can be disconnected. This is where it helps to have someone on the ground to hand the mirror to. It is heavy. Once the mirror and arm is removed the square chrome cover can be removed to expose the four bolts holding the mirror to the front cap.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

My mirrors are Velvac:

http://www.velvac.com/pdf/SB103.pdf

If yours are different, you may be able to find the right tech file.

Les Stallings
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
We went down to Charleston SC for a week and drove back on Saturday. I noticed on the way back that the driver side mirror was getting loose again. I followed Rex's tip this time and replaced the lag screws with 1/4 inch bolts. It turns out that a 1/4 carriage bolt works perfectly. I was able to pull the head of the carriage bolt down into the recess that served as a seat for the Phillips lag screw. I replaced all four screws with the carriage bolts using flat washers and star lock washers and a nut on the inside. I doubt that the mirror will ever work loose again, but if it does, I can tighten it without removing the mirror.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #14

I like your solution!