Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Factory Solar

As far as I can tell, I have one 100w AM100 panel (AM Solar) and a RD-45 Heliotrope controller(assume MPPT) according to factory schematics. Well I know I only have one panel [emoji4]

They also show the controller can handle 4 of these panels..... wired in parallel. So I’m thinking I may want to add more panels.

Looking into this, AM Solar doesn’t make the AM100 any longer, they make a SP100.... at this point I’ll guess they are compatible. Just wondering if anyone has added to their factory setup with a similar coach.

Apparently these panels are 24v as the Aladdin indicates this. What seems a bit strange is the Aladdin rarely indicates over 1.6A charge. I’ve shut the charger down on many occasions and this never changes.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2002 Windsor which I purchased in 2008. I has a RV30D Heliotrope controller, which is capable of 30 amps of charging. It came with the original 85 watt panel from Monaco and also 2 Kyocera 125 watt panels.

After owning our coach for a year I started doing some research and was questioning the charge since I rarely saw any high amps charging.

I decided to investigate and disconnected each panel and measured voltage and found the 2 Kyocera panels not working. Called Heliotrope and talked to the tech, he suggested I check on a recall of the Kyocera panels as they had a bad run. Contacted Kyocera and sure enough, my panels were part of the recall and they sent me 2 new panels "free" and return shipping for the old one.

Got the new panels and installed. I now see ~16 amp charging in high noon sun which is reasonable.

In your case the orginal panel may not be working correctly. I checked mine by covering with a heavy blanket 2 at a time, you might try this.

Your controller is probably capable of handling more panels but you'll have to check.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I took the 100 watt panel off ( I thought it is 12V) and installed four 190 watt 24V panels. I also installed a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 controller. I've been wondering what to do with the 100 W panel....

Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #4

Clyon, I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your post... It may help us both.

I have the Heliotrope RD-45 controller, which was installed at the factory when the coach was built. The Aladdin has the read out for Solar Volts & Amps. I have a little experience with solar, but it seems like this coach is ready to install panels and get the system functioning.

Would this be as simple as adding the panels, running wires down the refrigerator vent and hooking it up?

Hypoxia, do you have a source for the 190 watt 24 volt panels?
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If the Monaco coach was set up with solar there is a good chance that there already is a terminal block connector under the refrigerator shroud on the roof.

In my case the 2 panels that were added were hooked up to this, however, over time a significant amount of corrosion set in and I had to replace the terminal block. I think they ran 8 gauge wire from the roof to the solar panel, not sure on this though.

My panels are mounted to the roof using clips that are bolted to the roof and a heavy layer of caulk to waterproof around each. Wires were covered with the black accordion type plastic cover and fashioned to the roof in several places using the caulk.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Flyin, what year is your coach?

The 2007 Signature, Executive, Dynasty, Navigator, Imperial, Marquis and Patriot Thunder came with 8 gauge wire from the Combiner Box on the roof to the Heliotrope controller. The wiring diagram shows up to four 100 watt panels which could be wired in parallel at the Combiner Box.

I had installed Four 190 watt 24 volt panels on my previous coach which I removed and installed on the Signature. I wired two pair in series to get 48 volts and then wired each pair in parallel. Doing so allowed the 8 gauge wiring to handle the amperage.

Fortunately the wire from the roof passed beside the inverter. I installed the Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 beside the inverter and connected it to the battery cables on the inverter.

I bought my panels from Solar Panels & Systems - Sun Electronics Solar Panels as they have a warehouse in Phoenix which eliminates any shipping charge. Arizona does not charge sales tax on solar equipment.

Clyon51, if you want to add another panel I can make you a deal on the one I removed. That would be the easiest way to add on. I think you may be better served with new larger panels but that would take more effort.

I dry camp a lot and my Monaco Signature is a power hog, a huge Oinker. Oink, Oink, Oink!! I need lots of solar to keep the 8 house batteries going. If you don't dry camp much your needs won't be nearly as much as mine.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
As far as I can tell, I have one 100w AM100 panel (AM Solar) and a RD-45 Heliotrope controller(assume MPPT) according to factory schematics.
According the manual I have, the Heliotrope RD-45D is a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) controller.

See the attachment - is this what you have?
If so, we have the same equipment and I would be interested to learn what additional panels work with this controller.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Helitrope RV45D Solar Panel Manual.pdf (114.1 KB, 134 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Factory Solar

It’s a basic pwm 45 amp charger and no longer made. Total your panels amps to get capacity not to exceed 45. Off the cuff maybe 400 - 500 watts
AM solar used this years ago ( Oregon company used by Oregon RV manufacture .. Monaco ) and have since moved on to bigger and better things AM solar is still top notch and in businesss call them and they can give you options on their old system ...
the advantage is it’s wired to the Aladdin monitor I pulled my heliotrope as I didn’t feel it was working right and put a Morningstar controler in its place Then when I added addl panels ( 800 watts ) I just added a separate charge wires controller/ monitor system. The old wiring was small and not adequate. Both the old and new system are working and run at the same time .. but separately the Aladdin only sees the old system. The new trimetric monitor sees all of it.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you call rev and can get your 'datacard' it will have the model and even serial number of the panel, controller, etc...

I too have entertained adding on or just replacing since this is 'old ' technology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarPanel.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	182950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	182951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-28 017.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	182953  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RemoteMeter-UserManual.pdf (364.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post

Clyon51, if you want to add another panel I can make you a deal on the one I removed. That would be the easiest way to add on. I think you may be better served with new larger panels but that would take more effort.

I dry camp a lot and my Monaco Signature is a power hog, a huge Oinker. Oink, Oink, Oink!! I need lots of solar to keep the 8 house batteries going. If you don't dry camp much your needs won't be nearly as much as mine.

I hear ya on the power hog! Ours is all electric, 240v dryer, res fridge, dish washer (not DW [emoji4]) and the list goes on. We haven’t dry camped much with this rig and probably won’t in the future. We are going to hit Quartzite in Jan for a week or so, which probably made me think along these lines. I need to take some readings on this original panel, at the panel to see if it’s still good. If so I would consider a like panel if mine is still good.

As far as I’m concerned, a 100 watt panel on a rig like this is only good to keep the 10 batts maintained in storage in Phoenix [emoji106]
Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
According the manual I have, the Heliotrope RD-45D is a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) controller.

See the attachment - is this what you have?
If so, we have the same equipment and I would be interested to learn what additional panels work with this controller.

Yes this is what I have, in my lack of experience with all aspects of solar, I assumed any panel that had an output approaching 24v needed an MPPT controller.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We are going to hit Quartzite in Jan for a week or so
Are you going to the Monacoers gathering in Q? I plan to be there. What a hoot, those guys come up with solutions to the most obscure problems that you would ever think of.

I can't wait!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Are you going to the Monacoers gathering in Q? I plan to be there. What a hoot, those guys come up with solutions to the most obscure problems that you would ever think of.

I can't wait!

Well, this will be our first time there, so we don’t know squat! We plan meeting a recent friend there that has been there before and is there to promote his recent CG purchase in Mancos, Co. He is a personal friend of Jim Tiffin. However, we would certainly love to hook up with other Monaco owners!! Although I’ve had my Monaco for a year now ( and studied feverishly) I still have a ton of questions.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
If you call rev and can get your 'datacard' it will have the model and even serial number of the panel, controller, etc...

I too have entertained adding on or just replacing since this is 'old ' technology

I have the original data card JohnBoyToo, but no mention of Solar equipment in that. However, the schematics for my 07 Dynasty says I have the RV 45 amp controller and a AM100 panel (100amp 24v panel)

Tags
solar