RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Fantastic Fan Dome Lift Motor issue

The fan dome lift motor gear and the sprocket on the dome lift arm wear out or separate and the motor just turns and turns.
Iíve gone through a couple sets of dome lift motors and lift arms.

Somebody must have a solution to this apparent design flaw?

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
It isn't a design flaw, it is called "cheap parts". Back in the old days, FF used good hardware and a larger motor. Since the company was sold, the parts being used have turned to junk and now have a much smaller motor.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

I actually removed the motor, the coupling and the lift mechanism and modified it a bit. I used a very small drill to drill thru the motor spline and the coupling and inserted a tiny brad nail as a shear pin. That worked for several years until the other end of the coupling failed. This time I used epoxy and just made that one a hard connection. The only minus is that I had to enlarge the opening on the fairing so that it could go on over (around) the motor, since the motor could no longer be put on last. The cover for the motor covered up the ugly mess I made enlarging the hole.

It would be easy to end up with a coupling sufficiently off of alignment to create too much drag for the motor. The control system for the motor looks at current increase to determine when the assembly has reached full open or full closed. If there's too much drag at any time in between, it may think it has reached full travel, and just shut off. So if you do what I did, try to keep the coupling pretty straight in your end product.

You're so right, Don, they went really light on the quality of their pieces-parts. Their response on getting replacement "junk" is very, very good, but its' still "junk". Dang!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
The fan dome lift motor gear and the sprocket on the dome lift arm wear out or separate and the motor just turns and turns.
Iíve gone through a couple sets of dome lift motors and lift arms.

Somebody must have a solution to this apparent design flaw?

I actually drilled thru the coupling and the shaft and put a short piece of pop river thru the holes. Took some fancy manipulating but it worked.
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I might weld the coupling and the shaft If I can get the lift arm connected from the roof with the welded assembly in from below.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When we purchased our coach one of the fans was broken. One of the few nice things the dealer did was give us a new MaxxAir MaxxFan. They have several models that start at $125 and go over $200 for the top model with a remote.

We've had several Fantastic fans and they all worked well but this new MaxxAir is better. It has a heavier designed 12v motor and dual lift arms. The Deluxe model has a 10 speed motor, thermostat, rain sensor, and a remote control. It fits the same 14" x 14" opening. When our other fan quits I plan on replacing it with a MaxxAir.
Airxcel | Maxxair | MAXXFAN
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

X2 on the maxxfan. Just replaced on of my old fantastic fans with a maxxfan.
Better quality than the 'NEW' fantastic fans. Too bad about the fantastic fans, the were the GOLD standard ant one point.
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Fantastic Fan Dome Lift Motor issue

Iím going to try the maxxfan. Iíve had too many problems with the old fantastic.
Which one did you get?
Can you still use the wall switch to open and close it?
Got a photo installed?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Model is 00-04500k, 4500K Smoke. Our Maxxfan came with a remote that I attached to the wall. With this model the old on/off switch is not used. The new remote allows me to set a temperature and also a percentage fan speed from 10% to 100%. You can reverse it for intake or exhaust air and it has a rain sensor that will automatically close the vent.

Airxcel | Maxxair | MAXXFAN
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have a couple lift arms and motors and looking at them it seems when you try to insert the motor from below you cannot really seat the lift arm burled metal into the female motor. I'm going to try to epoxy it and press it together and install the lift arm and motor already joined. I haven't looked yo see if that's even possible but I think not seating from below allows it to strip out easy.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Fixed. For now. So when you try to push up the fan motor from below against the lift arm gear it the male lift arm doesnít really seat deep into the female motor gear. So it pops out and strips the female gear.
All from inside I dropped the out ring and let it hang by the wires. I took out the motor and lift arm (pushing up on lid with a stick). I mixed up some epoxy and filled the female gear with epoxy. Then firmly pushed in the male sprocket on the lift arm. Wipe away excess squeezed out and put the assembly in a vice to secure it while it dries.
Then mount the assembly from below. Then fit the plastic collar back in place with the wires behind it all the way around. You may have to slightly force the inside decorative collar by the motor. Put on the motor cover (2screws) and the handle and it works great.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
for you guys that have the MaxxFan, if you have 2 of them fairly close together, do you have issues with a remote activating the maxx fan you didn't intend to ?

Tags
fan