Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #1

Fiberglass Roof Wax?

Can a person wax a fiberglass roof? It’s oxidizing and when it rains the sides of the coach and windows get a white film on it. I can wash it off but have to do that every time it rains. What can I do to keep it from doing that?
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
there is a current discussion on this topic and several others found via search.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/roof...ng-363045.html
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
Can a person wax a fiberglass roof? It’s oxidizing and when it rains the sides of the coach and windows get a white film on it. I can wash it off but have to do that every time it rains. What can I do to keep it from doing that?
I personally scrub the roof and apply a coat of 'mop and glow' on it. It really helps with the white streaking down the sides.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wash with a brush and spray 303 on it when dry.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

Hi Amen; I have a 2001 Windsor with the fiber glass roof. Have thought about many options discussed here. I just wax mine with Protect-All that you get at Camping World. I buy the gallon when on sale. Keeps the white streaks off the side of the coach for about a year. I have a 34' coach and it takes me about 2 hours to do the job. Does not take the oxidation off but the water beads off and no white streaks for a while. I see you have a Camelot. Do you not have some kind of coating over it from the factory. My friend has an 05 40' and when on top it looks like it has some type of coating over the fiber glass. Maybe not factory installed. He bought the coach used. ?????????
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

I don’t have a coating on the roof. But it should be. I’ll maybe try the mop and glow or paint it ? Painting seems like a longer lasting solution. Problem with mop and glow is if I’m going to paint it later will need to strip the wax off.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #7

I use 303 protectant twice a year on mine. It stops the oxidation and keeps mildew from forming.
deffinba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

So I ended up using the Rustoleum Top Side Marine Paint. 2 Quarts did the roof on our 42' coach. Used a big foam roller and a small foam roller. Also used a brush in the tighter spots. I painted over the cracked Dicor, too, so hopefully that will keep any moisture out *(didn't have any to begin with but good to coat it anyway). I taped it off first and used simple green to clean it and then de wax with car wax stripper from Walmart. Took about 4 hours total. Looks good! Already rained and most of the white streaks from the old oxidized wax is gone!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use Turtle Wax Ice four times a year when I wax the rest of the coach.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don’t have a coating on the roof. But it should be. I’ll maybe try the mop and glow or paint it ? Painting seems like a longer lasting solution. Problem with mop and glow is if I’m going to paint it later will need to strip the wax off.
You would probably have to get it all off if you were to paint it. It takes me less then 5 minutes to scrub the top with a hose and brush. When I come back the next day, maybe 10 minutes to apply mop and glow. I do that once a year. Coach is darker colors and never a streak down the sides.

Hardest part for me is to get the hose on roof without scratching the coach.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Best way to prevent hose rash is to bring it up across a ladder
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #12

Amen thats what I do, I have a 10' step ladder that I stand next to the coach ladder. When I pull my hose over the step ladder I bungie it to the top of the coach ladder. It is a black rubber hose so it does mark the roof at times but I start at the front and clean to the back. I never waxed the roof but will try something. I bought a gallon of 303 and will try it in a spray bottle, after cleaning.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

I’m glad I painted the roof now. We got 4” snow here yesterday. Had to get up there and sweep it off. Hate the wet sloppy stuff! Slippery too but the paint kept me from slipping around. Wax would not have been good
Old 12-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So I ended up using the Rustoleum Top Side Marine Paint. 2 Quarts did the roof on our 42' coach. Used a big foam roller and a small foam roller. Also used a brush in the tighter spots. I painted over the cracked Dicor, too, so hopefully that will keep any moisture out *(didn't have any to begin with but good to coat it anyway). I taped it off first and used simple green to clean it and then de wax with car wax stripper from Walmart. Took about 4 hours total. Looks good! Already rained and most of the white streaks from the old oxidized wax is gone!
I just finished painting my roof. I used West Marine house brand topside paint (polyurethane ).
When masking, I extended the painted area to cover the dark top. Probably covered 1' rear and 2' front. Hoping to reduce solar heat gain.
Easy project. ....if......if you note the humidity, dew point and temps. 1st coat was great, 2nd coat went on too late in the day, allowing dew to set on the yet to skin over paint . Yep, it was a mess in the morning.
I should have been done with 2 coats, but it ended up being 4 to cover the flaws from the dew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_135147.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	184910Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_135201.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	184911Click image for larger version

Name:	20171206_101427.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.1 KB