Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronccat View Post
Oh, I'll add. About half the time you pan the rear camera up, it will go back down to the bottom in 5 mintes
Can't help with that, we have the old B&W unit and it still works pretty well so it's low on my list of upgrades.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Tito's huh? Texas loyal!!
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe it's all about Vodka. My most violent episode a drawer with a 1.75 L of Vodka flew open LOL
Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
On another note, I forgot to mention one other frustration (that perhaps deserves it's own thread)

We have the Aladdin system and the cameras are all over the place. The PO replaced the cameras and harness but you still get screen roll at times (gets progressively worse, maybe caused by heat?) some bizarre interference / change in brightness that improves when you accelerate and the fact that the side cameras wash out completely white when signaling at night (I assume the markers are doing this).

I am to the point of putting in a wireless camera and being done with the Aladdin.
My Aladdin is not the best I've seen by a long shot, but none of the roll or washout you mention.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I don't read many threads about an 8 air bag Roadmaster chassis porpoising, especially a 38 footer. You frequently see threads about that issue with the four air bag chassis from the early to mid 2000s. Someone with more experience may offer a suggestion, but I'd start with making sure your tire pressures are correct for you weight, that you are not overloading one end or the other, and that your suspension doesn't have an obvious problem like a broken shock. Did you have anything in your fresh, gray or black tank? We typically keep the fresh water tank close to full which puts a lot of weight just in front of the rear axle and don't experience any porpoising eventhough we have 16 year old shocks and over 100,000 miles on the coach.

Dennis,

Many Monaco's came from the factory with Monroe shocks and they are usually shot in the first 12,000 miles. I replaced ours at about 18,000 miles and it made a huge difference in porpoising and the Walmart roll. I remember that you recently purchased your coach so suspect that your shocks are not the original ones.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
HID Headlights

I also didn't like the standard headlights on my coach. I purchased a few sets of HID's and can now see everything! I have never been flashed because on coming traffic thinks they are too bright. I did purchase new headlight "globes" because mine were chalky or dull looking. I picked the Diamond White color rather than a blue or other spectrum color. I have a complete back up system if they should fail but I recently went from Sacramento to San Diego to Vegas to Zion to Bryce Canyon to Page Az then back up through Nevada to home and another trip to and from Sac to San Diego without any issues. My point many many bumpy road miles and no failures plus I can see.

Quote:
First two thoughts after 250 miles, at night, with average load and full tanks.

HEADLAMPS AND SHOCKS

I love this coach and she did fine pulling our 4700 lb toad through the mountains of E KY and E TN but MAN that porpoising and wiggle + "oh I can't see more than 20' in front of me".

I hope shocks will be enough but I am a bit lost on the headlight situation.

A lesser issue was the T stat being off 3 to 5 degrees.

Any insight welcome. Thanks!
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis,

Many Monaco's came from the factory with Monroe shocks and they are usually shot in the first 12,000 miles. I replaced ours at about 18,000 miles and it made a huge difference in porpoising and the Walmart roll. I remember that you recently purchased your coach so suspect that your shocks are not the original ones.

Bob
Yes, we bought it with 48,ooo miles and I think it still has the Monroes. I was looking at the Bilsteins but seems like folks like the Koni shocks ($$)

What shocks did you use? By the Way we were traveling through K-town to Townsend in this trip :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjhall View Post
I also didn't like the standard headlights on my coach. I purchased a few sets of HID's and can now see everything! I have never been flashed because on coming traffic thinks they are too bright. I did purchase new headlight "globes" because mine were chalky or dull looking. I picked the Diamond White color rather than a blue or other spectrum color. I have a complete back up system if they should fail but I recently went from Sacramento to San Diego to Vegas to Zion to Bryce Canyon to Page Az then back up through Nevada to home and another trip to and from Sac to San Diego without any issues. My point many many bumpy road miles and no failures plus I can see.
This is encouraging. I HATE poor headlights, especially in the mountains at night lol
Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
Tito's huh? Texas loyal!!
Absolutely!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis,

Bob
Bob, I'm not sure what we have, they're on my "to do list"
Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, we bought it with 48,ooo miles and I think it still has the Monroes. I was looking at the Bilsteins but seems like folks like the Koni shocks ($$)

What shocks did you use? By the Way we were traveling through K-town to Townsend in this trip :-)

This is encouraging. I HATE poor headlights, especially in the mountains at night lol
Bronccat,

We choose the Koni's but lots of folks have also had good results with the Bilsteins. Either will be a significant improvement over the original.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I had terrible night vision range on my coach. I did the following and it is MUCH improved.

1. Buffed the hazy lenses with the 3M lens brightener kit.
2. Replaced the 15 year old bulbs.
3. Used the attached guide to re-aim the headlights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf (32.7 KB, 33 views)
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bob and thanks for the guide dma.

My lenses are clear but aiming and bulbs would have to help
Bronccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Put the Bilsteins on it.

14,000 on the original Monroes.

52,000 on the Koni FSD's

500 miles on Bilsteins (The Koni's weren't controlling rebound any more, to suit me.)

Very slight difference between Koni's and Bilsteins. Not worth the price differential.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Put the Bilsteins on it.

14,000 on the original Monroes.

52,000 on the Koni FSD's

500 miles on Bilsteins (The Koni's weren't controlling rebound any more, to suit me.)

Very slight difference between Koni's and Bilsteins. Not worth the price differential.
Thanks, that's immensely helpful. I was looking for someone who had run both
Bronccat is offline   Reply With Quote