Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Florida Sun film on front

I love this forum it has helped me so much. So now I need some more feed back please. On the front of my Holiday Rambler 2007 42ft is what appears to be a vinyl or plastic clear film. Well I should say it should be clear. It is yellow brown color from the hot Florida sun. I bought it this way,and thought I could remove it with my heat gun. That has not worked, any help out there on how to remove this film.
Thank you very much.
PS. I removed some of it with a presser washer but only the first layer.
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #2

If it's a Diamond Shield type film, it's an awful project to remove. Took me 11 days (3hrs per day), three packages of plastic razor blade scrapers, three cans of 3M industrial strength adhesive remover and very sore hands. In Florida there are a few who will remove it ($600 was my estimate), but the wouldn't guarantee that some paint wouldn't be damaged. As stated hard job, but our 2003 Dutch Star looks 100% better now.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Google 3M on this forum. Took me 9hrs just for a 4" stripe on the less verticle surface (most jacked up section).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

I just finished removing it from our 2005 Ambassador it looks so much better. What worked the best for me and I tried several different things was homemade scrapers I made from plexiglass, I ground a sharp edge on it using sand paper on a flat surface the sharper the better and when it gets dull resharpen it. I softened the film with a hair dryer and scraped it off with the scrapers then scraped off the glue using mineral spirits.it took me around 10 hours spread over a several days but it was worth it.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

look at previous post on this subject I posted comments with pictures on technique s I used to remove Diamond Shield from my 2008 Knight as did many others.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrand1999 View Post
I love this forum it has helped me so much. So now I need some more feed back please. On the front of my Holiday Rambler 2007 42ft is what appears to be a vinyl or plastic clear film. Well I should say it should be clear. It is yellow brown color from the hot Florida sun. I bought it this way,and thought I could remove it with my heat gun. That has not worked, any help out there on how to remove this film.
Thank you very much.
PS. I removed some of it with a presser washer but only the first layer.
These folks removed my film in about three hours and went to lunch. Came back and installed new Diamond Shield in about two hours. The paint looked like new after they removed the old film and there was almost no damage to the paint.

If you are within a reasonable distance they will come to you. They came to the 1000 Trails in Orlando to do my job.
Florida Applied Films – Tampa, FL – HOME

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Why in the world would you put it back? Mine was scraped off years ago and it still looks great without it. And for the record, I'm about to hit 109,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Thanks for the info what it roughly cost you to have it removed and replaced . Thank you again everyone it looks like I have my work cut out for me.
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrand1999 View Post
Thanks for the info what it roughly cost you to have it removed and replaced . Thank you again everyone it looks like I have my work cut out for me.
You have a PM.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida