Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy Florida Weather and Motorhomes

Over the years I've read posts referencing issues of crummy weather causing problems with RV's. Paint Jobs, rusting, corrosion, etc. But I'm seeing something on my '06 Camelot that I've not seen before.

Sitting outside in the Florida weather, I'm beginning to notice a discoloration that appears mostly on the surface of the front clear plastic (bra?) the factory stretches over the front to protect the paint from chips and the like. It doesn't seem to be getting on the rest of the coach. What I'm seeing is speckles of brownish like discoloration, in some cases their small dots and/or small short streaks. Kind of a speckled overspray type of thing.

Also, the Camelot logo on each side just under the drivers/passengers side windows as well as the big "M" in the circle of the top front is dulling badly. They are normally a very high gloss chrome, but now their a dull silver color. I realize these logo's are made out of some kind of soft plastic or rubbery substance and chromed on the outer surface and just stuck on the body by glue. This dulling effect happened in about 5 months sitting in the RV Resort here in Central Florida. (near Orlando, and 50 miles or so from any ocean salt water.) I'm wondering if these logos are available anywhere.

I've tried all kinds of cleaning solutions, from water, to glass cleaner to light solvent type of cleaners to no avail. You can't feel these marks. i.e., their not raised so they don't seem to be on top of the surface. I even tried cleaning waxes, also to no avail.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm running out of solutions. I don't know if it's related to being out in the sun, or just being out in this hot, humid climate. So far though it doesn't seem to be effecting the other paint on the sides, or rear, or top.

Sorry to ramble to much, but I'm hoping somebody has run into this and can help. In any case, thanks for listening.

Bob
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Guessing it is the mold most of us see under the diamond shield.

Steve
Old 06-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Yup, starting to see it on mine. Doubt it will get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Guessing it is the mold most of us see under the diamond shield.

Steve
Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

Ours sits out for 4 months in the Keys every year. It's hard on the bright work. It's the salt air. I found a guy to completely buff and wax the coach and bright work when we got back to Indy last month. It looks good as new. I am going to spend $300 every year when we return from now on.
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You are most likely seeing mold under the Diamond Shield. Other than stripping the shield off there is little that you can do.

This is an often talked about subject.

Good luck
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Over the years I've read posts referencing issues of crummy weather causing problems with RV's. Paint Jobs, rusting, corrosion, etc. But I'm seeing something on my '06 Camelot that I've not seen before.

Sitting outside in the Florida weather, I'm beginning to notice a discoloration that appears mostly on the surface of the front clear plastic (bra?) the factory stretches over the front to protect the paint from chips and the like. It doesn't seem to be getting on the rest of the coach. What I'm seeing is speckles of brownish like discoloration, in some cases their small dots and/or small short streaks. Kind of a speckled overspray type of thing.

Also, the Camelot logo on each side just under the drivers/passengers side windows as well as the big "M" in the circle of the top front is dulling badly. They are normally a very high gloss chrome, but now their a dull silver color. I realize these logo's are made out of some kind of soft plastic or rubbery substance and chromed on the outer surface and just stuck on the body by glue. This dulling effect happened in about 5 months sitting in the RV Resort here in Central Florida. (near Orlando, and 50 miles or so from any ocean salt water.) I'm wondering if these logos are available anywhere.

I've tried all kinds of cleaning solutions, from water, to glass cleaner to light solvent type of cleaners to no avail. You can't feel these marks. i.e., their not raised so they don't seem to be on top of the surface. I even tried cleaning waxes, also to no avail.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm running out of solutions. I don't know if it's related to being out in the sun, or just being out in this hot, humid climate. So far though it doesn't seem to be effecting the other paint on the sides, or rear, or top.

Sorry to ramble to much, but I'm hoping somebody has run into this and can help. In any case, thanks for listening.

Bob

The discoloration under the shield is mildew and the only fix is removal. I did mine about 3 years ago. Long, tedious job. If you search EBay you will find the big M logo.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to C Duck
My Windsor logos were also very "faded". After looking all over for a fix or a new logo with no joy, I went to a sign shop who looked up the logo on the internet and used his computer cutter-thingy to cut a new logo out of chrome vinyl which had a glue backing. Removing the backing he carefully mounted it over the old logo. Looks like new.

Tags
florida, motorhome, motorhomes