RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fluorescent ceiling fixture to LED conversion for $11 per fixture.

I was shocked at the cost of replacing the fluorescent tubes in my ceiling fixtures with LED tubes. So me, being cheap [Mod Edit] made this guide that will show you how to convert a Thin-Lite Model 746 from fluorescent lamps to LED lights for about $11 per fixture. I used a roll of waterproof LED lights that can be cut to size. I installed 4 – 12” strips of white LEDS in each fixture, and two strips of blue LEDS. I replaced the 2 position switch to a 3 position on-off-on switch to control what color lights you want on. The two blue lights are used for accent lighting, and are great to use as a nightlight. You can purchase any color accent lights. Versus the fluorescent lamps, power consumption went from 30 watts to less than two. Light output with the 4 - LED strips on was brighter than the fluorescent lamps. You can add more LED strips or longer strips if desired.

There are other posts in other forums about people that have done this, but I wanted to put together a more detailed guide. If you would like to download the guide it is here.
*Mod Edit - File is here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads...o=file&id=170*
It is a 25 Mb pdf, so if you have a slow internet connection, it may take a few minutes.
Attached Files

Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Towing 2011 Cadillac SRX w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Your download has problems right now. I have notified the moderators since it seems like it is a forum issue.

But, the main question I have is how do you protect your setup from the 14 volt charging voltage that seems to cause issues with early burn-out on other conversions. That is not covered in your pdf.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The attached video works if your device has the right codex (it's a MP4 file)...but before anyone spends time updating their computer, is just a simple view of the OP turning on the light, then off, then on in BLUE, then off.

The "How-To" file is in the iRV2 "Files" section here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=170

Thanks to the OP for contributing.
Steve as iRV2 Staff.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV & OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The attached video works if your device has the right codex (it's a MP4 file)...but before anyone spends time updating their computer, is just a simple view of the OP turning on the light, then off, then on in BLUE, then off.

The "How-To" file is in the iRV2 "Files" section here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=170

Thanks to the OP for contributing.
Steve as iRV2 Staff.
The issue is not with the video, it plays perfect on my PC. As I stated in the note to moderator the issue was with the pdf download. And I see it is fixed now. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fluorescent ceiling fixture to LED conversion for $11 per fixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
The issue is not with the video, it plays perfect on my PC. As I stated in the note to moderator the issue was with the pdf download. And I see it is fixed now. Thank you.

I have edited the file link. Please try it again

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did that change a couple years ago to our '02 Dutch Star. Didn't need the blue lighting, so just use the 4 strips of LED's in each fixture.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

Installed these over 2 years ago. 12-inch, 30 LEDs per tube. Says $20 but I paid $15. Not one LED failure yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457035622.897522.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	120436

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
But, the main question I have is how do you protect your setup from the 14 volt charging voltage that seems to cause issues with early burn-out on other conversions. That is not covered in your pdf.
The newer 5630 LEDS are more robust when it comes to input voltage so I have not experienced any burnouts. I guess if your charging exceeds 14.4 volts, you could add a $1.20 voltage regulator as seen here Cedar Creek RV Owners Club € View topic - Voltage Regulators and LED info from Workshop at WT

Still cheaper than $30 to retrofit with LED tubes.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Towing 2011 Cadillac SRX w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
The newer 5630 LEDS are more robust when it comes to input voltage so I have not experienced any burnouts. I guess if your charging exceeds 14.4 volts, you could add a $1.20 voltage regulator as seen here Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Voltage Regulators and LED info from Workshop at WT

That link has some great information in it! Thanks!
Captjake1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
The newer 5630 LEDS are more robust when it comes to input voltage so I have not experienced any burnouts. I guess if your charging exceeds 14.4 volts, you could add a $1.20 voltage regulator as seen here Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Voltage Regulators and LED info from Workshop at WT

This is a great article. Thank you very much. I wish you all the best on your setup. I have just avoided making the upgrade myself given all the issues I have read on other threads about untimely failures due to the charging voltages. Your design (with the two light levels) combined with the article on voltage regulation looks like a winner for me. Now I just have to get off my rear and do it!

Thanks again for your original post and the power regulation information.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the excellent post Dan.
I am ordering all the parts to do my coach !!

Greg
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
our 05 diplomat has 8 different 18" fluoresent fixtures I've average of 4 tubes per year, caused by low voltage when three fixtures are on, on 1 switch, I don't want to rewire coach. this will be my fix. Thanks a bunch
monaco R & L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I did similar but it was much less than $11 per fixture. I bought a 16 foot roll of indoor rated (not waterproof) high density leds (600 leds per roll) for $20. Enough to do every fixture with leftovers in my case. They can be cut and soldered every 3rd LED (about 3/4 of an inch), so if you are handy with a soldering iron you can pretty much cut two strips to length for each fixture.

They are adhesive backed, but I also used a little hot glue just to ensure they stayed put in the fixture. They put out more light than the fluorescents did.

I used cool white where I wanted to replicate the same white fluorescent light, and I got a warm white roll for a fixture in the bathroom and to replace the old style rope lights throughout the coach. My big front room rope light used to draw 2amps on one of the AC legs, now it's 100 milliamps with the leds.

On the rope light replacement, I plan to someday put in a dimmer to my main one in the front room ceiling so I can use it at any intensity, however for now I am using a 190 ohm resistor hard wired in to keep them at about the same brightness level the ropes lights were.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
I did similar but it was much less than $11 per fixture. I bought a 16 foot roll of indoor rated (not waterproof) high density leds (600 leds per roll) for $20. Enough to do every fixture with leftovers in my case. They can be cut and soldered every 3rd LED (about 3/4 of an inch), so if you are handy with a soldering iron you can pretty much cut two strips to length for each fixture.

They are adhesive backed, but I also used a little hot glue just to ensure they stayed put in the fixture. They put out more light than the fluorescents did.

I used cool white where I wanted to replicate the same white fluorescent light, and I got a warm white roll for a fixture in the bathroom and to replace the old style rope lights throughout the coach. My big front room rope light used to draw 2amps on one of the AC legs, now it's 100 milliamps with the leds.

On the rope light replacement, I plan to someday put in a dimmer to my main one in the front room ceiling so I can use it at any intensity, however for now I am using a 190 ohm resistor hard wired in to keep them at about the same brightness level the ropes lights were.
Nice! I have to keep this on mind

Captjake1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, led