RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We picked up and moved into our new 08 Endeavor over the weekend and I gained some VERY sore legs in the process. Guess my age has something to do with it, .... Ugh.

Question: I know I read somewhere in the ton of literature I have that the idle for the ISL 400 engine can be temporarily set to two or three incremental increases. I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME find it now that I need it.

Does anyone know how to temporarily step up the idle?

my driveway has an odd slant to is so I use a large wood ramp (6" H x 4ft LG) to help level the coach for loading/unloading/cleaning. it was easy to climb the ramp with the gasser, .... one foot on the gas and and the other foot to control it with the brakes. The diesel won't climb the ramp at idle and using two feet is awkward to say the least.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We picked up and moved into our new 08 Endeavor over the weekend and I gained some VERY sore legs in the process. Guess my age has something to do with it, .... Ugh.

Question: I know I read somewhere in the ton of literature I have that the idle for the ISL 400 engine can be temporarily set to two or three incremental increases. I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME find it now that I need it.

Does anyone know how to temporarily step up the idle?

my driveway has an odd slant to is so I use a large wood ramp (6" H x 4ft LG) to help level the coach for loading/unloading/cleaning. it was easy to climb the ramp with the gasser, .... one foot on the gas and and the other foot to control it with the brakes. The diesel won't climb the ramp at idle and using two feet is awkward to say the least.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Corkey, I'm sure a Monaco owner with the same setup as yours will come along to verify the answer to your question.

In my coach, you use the cruise control to increase the idle of the engine, but it has to be in Neutral with the Park Brake set.

I don't think it will work for what you want, and in my opinion, it might be a little dangerous to have a higher idle with the ability to have the transmission in Drive.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Corkey,

On your Endeavor, it will work exactly as Don just described for his Winnebago Journey.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Robin,
I'll Give it a try next time I start the coach. From what I understand it may not work.

Don
The ramp is real nothing more than a slight incline, not much more than we would run into when pulling into a driveway. So, the danger level is very, very low, and its only a 6" lift. Most roadside curbs start at 8", and I know most of us have managed to drop off of a couple or three of those.

So, ... just what would most of you do when the slope is just a little too much for the coach to idle up, forward or reverse, but you must stop on the mark?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I just tried it and the cruise bumped the idle up just like Don and Robin said it would. And, just like Don suspected it didn't work out to well. The cruise bumps up the idle, but as soon as I touch the brake peddle it disengages and the idle drops to normal.

Actually the cruise increases the idle a lot more than I would like anyway, .... all I need is a couple of hundred RPM's. With the small increase all I would have to do is feather the brake peddle a little and it would all be over.

There just has to be a way to do this, and I can't believe I'm the only one needing a couple of hundred RPMs to climb a small incline at idle with their braking foot at the ready.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You can increase the idle from the normal 700 to 800 RPM by using the cruise control "set" button. I believe it will stay at 800 until you turn the cruise off. I had to experiment with mine a few times because none of the manuals explain it very well. Hope this helps.

Chuck
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Our Time:
You can increase the idle from the normal 700 to 800 RPM by using the cruise control "set" button. I believe it will stay at 800 until you turn the cruise off. I had to experiment with mine a few times because none of the manuals explain it very well. Hope this helps.

Chuck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I must be doing something wrong. I used the set button but it jumped to about 1100 RPM's. The cruise will immediately disengage as soon as my foot touches the brake peddle, so there is no way to feather the peddle for stopping on a "mark".

It makes since that the cruise would disengage as soon as I touch the brake peddle, as thats the way they are designed to work.

I still believe there is a way to do this, but maybe the cruise control method is the wrong way to go about it.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I must be doing something wrong. I used the set button but it jumped to about 1100 RPM's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's correct, that is what it is supposed to do..You are not doing anything wrong.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Corkey,
With engine running in neutral or drive and the cruise control off, push the resume button several times to set your base idle higher. Push the set to lower it back. When I had my coach in Massey's in Phoenix for some warranty work, I asked Tom if he would set my idle down, as it had crept up. He explained how to do it as I posted above. Why the idle crept up is because at times when I went to put the engine on fast idle, I didn't always push the cruise control button first. Each time you push the res button without the cruis control on, the idle will increase 25-50 rpm. So, anyone with a Smart whell can now experiment.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hapycarz
I have the Smartwheel, ... I'm on it, and will report back.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Happycarz has it exactly right. Just started ours this morning and set the idle at 800 to air up. I knew it was one of those buttons!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Happycarz,

That is interesting. While bumping up the temporary idle with the cruise control is common knowledge, I'll bet most folks don't know you can also effect the base idle speed in that mannor. So now the questions is, for those of us who may have inadvertently bumped it up the same way you did, approx where should the base idle be?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
All I can respond with is, ... right out of the box (brand new) mine is idling at 700 RPM. I'm not one to assume anything, but so far I have no reason to question the 700. I guess my only concern would be, who touched the controls before the first drive home.

I would also like to know the book spec on idle RPM's.