Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford and Navistar settlement

Ford Settles Class Action Over Navistar Diesels
Print Print
October 25, 2013 by RV Business Leave a Comment
Ford Motor Co. has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over claims that it sold defective diesel engines in its 2003-07 Super Duty pickups and E-series vans.
Automotive News reported that the now discontinued diesel 6-liter V-8, manufactured by Ford’s former diesel engine supplier, Navistar International, had myriad problems with the fuel system, turbochargers and other major components.
According to the settlement, any U.S. purchaser and lessee of any 2003-07 Ford vehicle equipped with a 6-liter Power Stroke diesel engine is covered if the vehicle’s exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler and EGR valve, oil cooler, fuel injectors, or turbocharger was repaired, replaced or adjusted prior to 135,000 miles or six years.
Each component is given a reimbursement limit. In addition, according to the settlement, if a class member paid a $100 deductible more than once for repairs under the five-year/100,000-mile engine warranty, Ford will reimburse $50 each for the second through fifth deductible paid, up to a limit of $200 for four deductible payments.
The settlement resolves dozens of class-action lawsuits against the company and entitles owners to be able to claim between $50 and $825 in reimbursement for post-warranty repairs to their engine and engine components.

deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
While receiving up to 850 is nice it hardly seems worth all that effort
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

I'll reply like I did to the last one; this is so beat to death and absurd. The engines were not "defective." The owners and techs alike had no idea how to treat or work on the engines (most, not all owner/techs) so this is just a waste of time and just fuels the whole 6.slow mentality.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I'll reply like I did to the last one; this is so beat to death and absurd. The engines were not "defective." The owners and techs alike had no idea how to treat or work on the engines (most, not all owner/techs) so this is just a waste of time and just fuels the whole 6.slow mentality.
My first diesel Ford was a 2000 7.3 and then I purchased a 2005 6.0. Just to support what you say I had all kinds of trouble with the 7.3, including a turbo and inter-cooler pipes that would blow off. I never had any trouble with the 6.0 engine and the only trouble I had with the truck was the climate control system which Ford replaced under warranty. The 6.0 was amazing pulling my 12,000 lb 5th wheel and when it hit a hill it would down shift and accelerate requiring me sometimes to ease up on the throttle. The bad thing about the 6.0 was fuel mileage. To put it plainly it sucked. The old 7.3 had great fuel mileage.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You are absolutely correct.

I own a diesel repair business and can attest to the quality of the 6.0 liter engine, in fact I own one which I use to pull a 32' gooseneck trailer with to move heavy equipment.

The problem with the engine is owners install a programmer to boost horsepower and then drive the pi_s out of it. The increase in HP resulted in overheating which would take out the egr cooler and head gaskets.

The only problem which existed from manufacture was a defective o-ring fitting on the output side of the high pressure oil pump which drives the fuel injection system. That was handled by Ford under warranty and only existed in the 03 and 04 year models.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had an 07 F-350, that truck never was in the shop for anything other than Oil Changes in the 75,000 miles we put on it. We Pulled a 15.5k fifth wheel with it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbranch View Post

You are absolutely correct.

I own a diesel repair business and can attest to the quality of the 6.0 liter engine, in fact I own one which I use to pull a 32' gooseneck trailer with to move heavy equipment.

The problem with the engine is owners install a programmer to boost horsepower and then drive the pi_s out of it. The increase in HP resulted in overheating which would take out the egr cooler and head gaskets.

The only problem which existed from manufacture was a defective o-ring fitting on the output side of the high pressure oil pump which drives the fuel injection system. That was handled by Ford under warranty and only existed in the 03 and 04 year models.
It may be a quality engine, but when you are standing on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck 150 miles from home or more broke down, you will feel differently. A good friend of mine had this happen to him with less than 10,000 miles. At the time ford would do nothing. Luckily for him his ford dealer helped him get out of it on a used Chevy truck he had. He said last ford he would ever own and I tend to agree.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I love our 06 F350...but I've had to replace a high pressure oil pump, inter cooler, two turbos, and front bearings. When the beast is pulling it is rock solid. The turbos I blew were blown hauling my 12 k rig (total weight)....up a mountain. All the repairs were done under warranty...the extended warranty runs out next year....The beast only has 70k miles .... so I would like it to stick around for while. I think a pyrometer would help which ford will not let my install while the truck is under warranty.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Settles Class Action Over Navistar Diesels

Print
October 25, 2013 by RV Business Leave a Comment

Ford Motor Co. has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over claims that it sold defective diesel engines in its 2003-07 Super Duty pickups and E-series vans.
Automotive News reported that the now discontinued diesel 6-liter V-8, manufactured by Ford’s former diesel engine supplier, Navistar International, had myriad problems with the fuel system, turbochargers and other major components.
According to the settlement, any U.S. purchaser and lessee of any 2003-07 Ford vehicle equipped with a 6-liter Power Stroke diesel engine is covered if the vehicle’s exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler and EGR valve, oil cooler, fuel injectors, or turbocharger was repaired, replaced or adjusted prior to 135,000 miles or six years.
Each component is given a reimbursement limit. In addition, according to the settlement, if a class member paid a $100 deductible more than once for repairs under the five-year/100,000-mile engine warranty, Ford will reimburse $50 each for the second through fifth deductible paid, up to a limit of $200 for four deductible payments.
The settlement resolves dozens of class-action lawsuits against the company and entitles owners to be able to claim between $50 and $825 in reimbursement for post-warranty repairs to their engine and engine components.
To read the entire article click here.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My son worked for a Ford dealership in Washington for 15 years, he told me Navistar would not do the R+D to fix there problems. It was the techs finding fixes and pushing Ford to go to Navistar to correct things,,, many things. The sad thing is he told me for about $4000.00 you can bullitproof that engine/trans.
He said he he didn't remember a 7.3 ever coming in blownup, but many 6.0 where brought in on a hook, some blownup.
What soes he drive now? A 2008 6.4 navistar, yes bullitproofed, great truck, 20+ mpg all the time, 1/4 mile 13.89 sec. 98 mph.
2008 Harley Davidson Special, quad cab, 4/4, I think Edge Tuner.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
It may be a quality engine, but when you are standing on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck 150 miles from home or more broke down, you will feel differently. A good friend of mine had this happen to him with less than 10,000 miles. At the time ford would do nothing. Luckily for him his ford dealer helped him get out of it on a used Chevy truck he had. He said last ford he would ever own and I tend to agree.
Chad
What was wrong though? That is such a vague blanket statement it holds no water. Motor went? Or a non Navistar part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
My son worked for a Ford dealership in Washington for 15 years, he told me Navistar would not do the R+D to fix there problems. It was the techs finding fixes and pushing Ford to go to Navistar to correct things,,, many things. The sad thing is he told me for about $4000.00 you can bullitproof that engine/trans.
He said he he didn't remember a 7.3 ever coming in blownup, but many 6.0 where brought in on a hook, some blownup.
What soes he drive now? A 2008 6.4 navistar, yes bullitproofed, great truck, 20+ mpg all the time, 1/4 mile 13.89 sec. 98 mph.
2008 Harley Davidson Special, quad cab, 4/4, I think Edge Tuner.
John G.
You don't need 4k to Bulletproof, and the trans doesn't need anything done to it either.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I love our 06 F350...but I've had to replace a high pressure oil pump, inter cooler, two turbos, and front bearings. When the beast is pulling it is rock solid. The turbos I blew were blown hauling my 12 k rig (total weight)....up a mountain. All the repairs were done under warranty...the extended warranty runs out next year....The beast only has 70k miles .... so I would like it to stick around for while. I think a pyrometer would help which ford will not let my install while the truck is under warranty.
I'd like to know why the parts were replaced and if they were actually the problem or not. Turbos probably did not need replacing but cleaning because someone didn't know what to do. And neither the turbo nor the front bearings are Navistar components. The HPOP is the only thing on there that is.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:

What was wrong though? That is such a vague blanket statement it holds no water. Motor went? Or a non Navistar part?

You don't need 4k to Bulletproof, and the trans doesn't need anything done to it either.
The trans went first at about 4000 miles ( I know not engine problem). Shortly thereafter issue with turbo, blowing sparks out exhaust. Thirdly some issue in fuel system that cut off flow of fuel to engine. Fourth time at about 10,000 miles one of cylinder overheated somehow melted piston. That required cab removal and replacing with new engine and at that point he had all he could stand.
I think like most say several thousand bucks can make it a good engine but when you pay 40,000+ bucks for a truck you should not have to spend money to make it stay together to keep from being stranded on the road. Therefore, I would not trust them as a manufacturer.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #14

So one engine issue.
I understand not wanting to deal with it anymore, but that is such an isolated series of events that it's absurd to say you will never trust Ford. That means their cars, vans, V10 and 5.4 Tritons are all untrustworth as well?

Tags
ford, navistar