Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

Fresh Air Vent issue in the 2011 Vesta

Have any other Vesta owners had problems with the fresh air venting into the coach? When our MH is operating at temp the air coming in is really hot; even on cool days. The garage the dealer referred the issue to diagnosed it as a design flaw and recommended a modification of the air flow system. According to Monaco I am the only owner who has complained about this; at least so far. The garage folks told me that the air coming in the vent would always be hot because the vent is only about 9 inches from the engine fan with no ducting. The hot air just gets sucked in and is discharged into the cabin. So, am I the only one?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
i noticed when i drove mine home that if i adjusted ac temp from cold to less cold it didn't take much for it to be very warm. I havent driven since but i'll watch for it on next trip
orpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

You really should check it out. I only became aware of it when I was pulling a huge Mt. Pass, and had turned our ac off. It was then when I noticed that the outside was actually chilly but the air coming in was real hot and remained that way after several miles; and ultimately never cooled. Before this climb we used our dash air all the time and never turned the dial to vent! We also noticed that the AC was functioning marginally . The garage told me that because of this design it would be difficult for the AC to do it's job.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco has a long history of this sort of design problems. The best solution is to keep ragging on Monaco until they help you with the problem. A letter to the new President should get the ball rolling. I am sure that Navistar does not want the same reputation that the old Monaco had with its customers. Let us know on the forum how Monaco responds.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the heads up. I've gone ahead with the modification at my own expense but I have no intention to simply let this thing drop with Monaco. By the way, the air flow is now improved greatly. So now, my wife and I can travel down the road in comfort without resorting to AC when it's 75 degrees outside. I hope that they will step up; not only for me but other owners as well! I'm hoping to hear from other Vesta owners out there.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have been very HAPPY with Monaco Navastar warranty service. Contact John Hurd in Customer Service and he should be able to help you. His # is 1-877-466-6226. When items like this are brought to their attention they will listen to you and fix your problem. Also in future units most likely they will incorporate fixes. Two or three items that I have brought to their attention are now standard on their new coach's. Customer service and satisfaction is the name of the game in today's market place.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I'll be contacting Mr. Hurd to see if he can help me and other Vesta owners. Unfortunately , my experience with Monaco hasn't been as positive as yours; but I remain hopeful. I have made a major investment in their product and really want them to succeed. After all it begins and ends with great customer service.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford
I have been very HAPPY with Monaco Navastar warranty service. Contact John Hurd in Customer Service and he should be able to help you. His # is 1-877-466-6226. When items like this are brought to their attention they will listen to you and fix your problem. Also in future units most likely they will incorporate fixes. Two or three items that I have brought to their attention are now standard on their new coach's. Customer service and satisfaction is the name of the game in today's market place.
Well, I called John Hurd but I didn't get a call back. I'll try again but it's getting frustrating. They seem comfortable saying " no" on the phone but do not respond back via email or mail. I guess I just need to be more patient. After all, I sent them a rather long letter, along with documents pictures etc. Courtesy would dictate a written response.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
John is sometimes "out" of the office. Don't give up call again, and if you want ask if he is "in". I would send John copies of what you wrote with the pictures. I think that would help him understand what you are talking about. Although it seems pretty clear to me the issue you are having with the vent air.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Our Vesta has the same problem with hot air from vents when ever the AC is turned off. Rotating the temp dial only a few degrees from max. cooling, when using the AC, the temp rises rapidly. On hot days this summer ran the house AC to offset the lack of proper cooling. How did you improve the performance of the coach AC?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann
Our Vesta has the same problem with hot air from vents when ever the AC is turned off. Rotating the temp dial only a few degrees from max. cooling, when using the AC, the temp rises rapidly. On hot days this summer ran the house AC to offset the lack of proper cooling. How did you improve the performance of the coach AC?
Well, I have to tell you that ALL Vestas have this issue so we are not alone. Problem is that most
of us owners haven't picked up on it because we run the AC when it's warm and most travel we do is in the warmer months. The good news is it's a fairly easy inexpensive fix that involves modifying the air box under the hood to redirect fresh air around the engine. The design and modification cost me $400. I've attached a photo here but I do not think it will help you much because it isn't real clear. If the unit were a pusher the set up would be fine and not need attention. I urge you to take the Vesta to your dealer and ask for a repair. If your dealer is baffled about what to do have them contact Colton Truck in Colton CA. and ask for Rich Doltar at (909) 825-0322. If I can get Monaco to reimburse this cost to me they no doubt will repair yours too. I can tell you that the modified air box has made a world of difference in our MH. Yes, the AC also works better and doesn't need to work so hard to keep us cool. Other than this complaint we really like the Vesta.How do you like yours?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1076960752.png
Views:	104
Size:	875.7 KB
ID:	16024
Old 12-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We love the Vesta, the exterior, well either you like it or hate it. We are the former!! Have had many favorable comments on the unit. Guess those to dont like it never come our way. Have had two recalls on unit. One was for the high beam head lights (safety recall 11517) and changing the inverter from 12 to 15 amps (authorized field change 11920). The latter change was to allow the microwave and tv's to operate at the same time. We had this problem and had to reset the inverter circuit breaker until we realized the problem. Otherwise have had no other significant problems.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

We have had the same issues. Our inverter was upgraded while we were at the factory last summer and our headlights were just done on the recall. We attract a lot of attention wherever we go too. One day while up in in northern Ca. A trucker pulled off the highway and followed us off to fuel up and said " Gosh, I've been following you guys for the last hundred miles or so and I just had to tell you this thing really looks good going down the road" That was a first for us!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford
John is sometimes "out" of the office. Don't give up call again, and if you want ask if he is "in". I would send John copies of what you wrote with the pictures. I think that would help him understand what you are talking about. Although it seems pretty clear to me the issue you are having with the vent air.
We got a call from John and I was very pleased that he listened to our concerns and I'm sure that he understood what we have been harping about. I can't say that they will reimburse me but I think engineering will take a look at it and that will help future owners.