RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fresh water questions

Hi folks! So far the new MH is doing fine. I promise to get a pic in my avatar of the new one real soon. I have two questions related to my fresh water tank that I would love to hear about from the group.

1) Has any one else experienced this behavior?
When I overfill the fresh water tank it apparently starts a siphon action through the fresh water tank overflow vent/pipe. The first time it happened I shut off the water fill, but did not notice the overflow was not going to stop. It had dumped half the tank contents back out on the ground when I saw it. The siphon does stop fairly quickly with lots of gurgling if I open the fresh water tank drain valve while the siphon is in process.

2) This one is just different than my last MH's, so I wondered if it is normal?
With city water connected, if I leave the "fill/city-water" valve in the city-water position, and leave the coach's water pump on, water is drawn from the fresh water tank rather than from the city water supply. Turning the pump off causes the water to come from the city water supply. On my last MH's the valve determined the water source, not the pump power switch. I guess this new way is kind of handy, it's just a bit different.

Neither of these is a real problem now that I know how they work, they just seemed a bit odd to me at first blush. Or is this all just how it works and I never noticed before?

Daveo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know anything about the city/tank water valve set-up that you have, but I do know that the water siphoning from your tank is a common problem. I had a Winnebago Brave that did that as I was driving down the road. The only safe cure for that is to not fill the tank all of the way up so that the sloshing will not make the water go out of the the overflow tube and start the siphoning. I got to the campsite with half a tank of water too. I was baffled also until I opbseved the siphoning myself.
Happy travels!

Tom Brickwell

Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Daveo0o.....My coaches have always been able to run the pump at the same time as the city water. A lot of people enhance the city water pressure when taking a shower by turning the pump on. My pump supplies 65 psi and is often better than the city connection at some sites.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo0o View Post
Hi folks! So far the new MH is doing fine. I promise to get a pic in my avatar of the new one real soon. I have two questions related to my fresh water tank that I would love to hear about from the group.

1) Has any one else experienced this behavior?
When I overfill the fresh water tank it apparently starts a siphon action through the fresh water tank overflow vent/pipe. The first time it happened I shut off the water fill, but did not notice the overflow was not going to stop. It had dumped half the tank contents back out on the ground when I saw it. The siphon does stop fairly quickly with lots of gurgling if I open the fresh water tank drain valve while the siphon is in process.

2) This one is just different than my last MH's, so I wondered if it is normal?
With city water connected, if I leave the "fill/city-water" valve in the city-water position, and leave the coach's water pump on, water is drawn from the fresh water tank rather than from the city water supply. Turning the pump off causes the water to come from the city water supply. On my last MH's the valve determined the water source, not the pump power switch. I guess this new way is kind of handy, it's just a bit different.

Neither of these is a real problem now that I know how they work, they just seemed a bit odd to me at first blush. Or is this all just how it works and I never noticed before?
All of the above are common! My Signature does the same thing.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote